PDA

View Full Version : used euro

BRU51N
28-08-2006, 06:13 PM
hey guys,

im considering buying a euro for a daily driver.

what kinda issues/problems should i look into? are the gearbox's as shit as the older model accords?

afew of them have fairly high kms, should i steer clear from them? ive looked at a few and the body condition of them are actually very good, however the kms are very high for its age.

what kinda prices should i be paying for a high kms 03 euro (base model) automatic vs a low kms version? is the price difference much?

some of the euros on carsales vary very much. not exactly sure what i should be paying for a used 03 base model one.

i would prefer the cheaper option, i plan to only drive for maybe a year or two max. so losing out on depreciation is vital for me.

any help would be much appreciated.

cheers,
willy

aaronng
28-08-2006, 06:31 PM
Check carsales.com for current pricing.

For the auto, look out for rattles and rough auto shifting. Transmission fluid should be changed after you get the car.

yfin
28-08-2006, 06:48 PM
what kinda prices should i be paying for a high kms 03 euro (base model) automatic vs a low kms version? is the price difference much?

Sorry but you need to do your own research on 'how much does it cost'. Otherwise we will have threads like this everytime someone wants to buy a car. So lets stop the discussion on that point please as per this announcement by Wyn:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/announcement.php?f=86&a=12

If you look through the classifieds and redbook, etc - you will get a feel pretty quickly what the market is like.

In terms of problems - spend a bit of time looking through this section and you will get a feel for common issues. No serious problems with transmissions so far. Euroaccord13 started up a "warranty repair" thread which would be worthwhile you looking through too.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17711&highlight=warranty

stephen8512
28-08-2006, 07:37 PM
if ur only gonna drive a car for a year or 2, why not buy a small civic or something? EK1 or something equivalent (EM1 if u want 2 door, or EJ8)

tanalasta
28-08-2006, 09:40 PM
www.redbook.com.au have some reasonable prices you may be 'expected' to pay if you were to go for market value. Have a look there.

As for high km cars - probably fleet models. But Honda engines tend to be built to last. As always, drive the car yourself - look in the engine bay and examine the service history.

If you're reselling, low km would be in your favour - especially after a year or so. But why would you want to only drive an Euro for such a short period?

BRU51N
29-08-2006, 02:09 PM
ive found one for 21k but its got 110k kms on it.
seems cheap... just checked it out and the front bar doesnt seem like its lined up, alot of stone chips all over, engine seems a bit loud as well, and longer than usual to fire over on ignition.

gearbox felt fine though.
im guessing it was a rental car or something. boot trimming was disgusting.

i might give the car a pass. thanks for your help guys.

yfin
29-08-2006, 09:09 PM
ive found one for 21k but its got 110k kms on it.
seems cheap... just checked it out and the front bar doesnt seem like its lined up, alot of stone chips all over, engine seems a bit loud as well, and longer than usual to fire over on ignition.

gearbox felt fine though.
im guessing it was a rental car or something. boot trimming was disgusting.

i might give the car a pass. thanks for your help guys.

Never seen a rental Euro before. But have you thought about buying a new Civic or Jazz - especially if it is a 2nd car to your s2000? Some people are paying 22k on the road for a new manual Civic Vti - but stock seems to be an issue. It has everything you need for a daily driver, including new car warranty of course. And depreciation shouldnt be too much of a killer in 12 months.

euro77
30-08-2006, 09:23 AM
I think you can get low kms euro for around 26k-28k

coladuna
01-09-2006, 11:04 PM
Never seen a rental Euro before. But have you thought about buying a new Civic or Jazz - especially if it is a 2nd car to your s2000? Some people are paying 22k on the road for a new manual Civic Vti - but stock seems to be an issue. It has everything you need for a daily driver, including new car warranty of course. And depreciation shouldnt be too much of a killer in 12 months.

Why would he want to buy a brand new Civic or Jazz when he said depreciation is vital for him? Will lose a lot more money if he buys brand new Civic or Jazz compared to a second-hand Euro.

If I were in your shoe, I'd stay away from cars with high km, especially if it's nearing time for a major service, which will be very expensive. There are plenty of low km Euro on the market especially if you are willing to not rush into buying one. If I was buying a 2003 year Euro, I wouldn't even look at the ones with any more than 50,000km.

yfin
02-09-2006, 01:24 AM
Why would he want to buy a brand new Civic or Jazz when he said depreciation is vital for him? Will lose a lot more money if he buys brand new Civic or Jazz compared to a second-hand Euro.

If I were in your shoe, I'd stay away from cars with high km, especially if it's nearing time for a major service, which will be very expensive. There are plenty of low km Euro on the market especially if you are willing to not rush into buying one. If I was buying a 2003 year Euro, I wouldn't even look at the ones with any more than 50,000km.

It was a suggestion for him to think about. A new car gives a lot more comfort than a car out of warranty. There are often hidden costs with 2nd hand cars - sometimes not apparent when you buy.

And what is wrong with a Euro with more than 50k? How the car is looked after and serviced is more important than having a blanket rule on mileage.

Vinnie
02-09-2006, 02:34 AM
And what is wrong with a Euro with more than 50k? How the car is looked after and serviced is more important than having a blanket rule on mileage.

coodent agree more, wat is most imprtant is the condition that the car has been kept in and making sure that the log books are complete. obviously higher kays = more wear but if it has been cared for properly then it will probably be a better proposition than a car with lower kays that has been neglected. and as ive already mensioned ensuring a full and compehensive service history can save u a lot of money, even in a car thats only 3 years old... jus make sure that wateva car u get that u inspect it thoroughly and take it for a test-drive and get an independant report done as well (by racq in qld, dunno wat is it in syd...)
neway, good luck finding wat ur looking for and with ne luck itll give u no probs and ull get decent resale :D