PDA

View Full Version : Connecting gearstick to shift linkage

zorrt
28-08-2006, 07:05 PM
Long story short....I installed a short shift into my car a while back ago and today while I was driving the nut which locks the bolt which ties the gear stick and shift linkage together fell off.

Its a skunk2 short shifter and the nut which came with it had that plastic thing inside which locks the nut in place. Although Ive never reused that nut before, when I installed the short shift I overtightened the nut so had to back it off a bit so it may have been the main reason why the nut fell off. Regardless, I don't think its a very secure way of locking the bolt in place since you can't tighten it too much otherwise you can't change gears (reason why I had to back it off a bit in the first place).

Question is, what is the best way to get the nut on and staying there. Theres not much threaded area to place around with, pretty much just fits 1 of the nut which comes with the skunk2 kit so I cant get 2 nuts into there. What I was thinking, was using 2 skinnier nuts to replace that 1 nut. Can anyone see any short fall on doing so? So each nut would have like a height of about 5 mm.

The only other way I can think of is to try searching for another nut which has the plastic bit inside it and use locktight on it also but scared it will still fall off overtime.

N1RAY
28-08-2006, 08:04 PM
Never had a problem with the shift linkages on hondas....

Maybe overtightening stripped the thread slightly then backing it off left no tension on the nut and bolt.

Take the bolt and get a good bolt shop to match it up and if you want to get one with more thread on it to double nut.

Bit of Loctite is always reassuring.

egSi
28-08-2006, 09:38 PM
the nut with the plastic but in it is called a Nylock. they r designed to lock on with minimum threads wound on.

i sugges either gettin another one and putting washers on either side of eac fork and tightening it down without out lockin it up OR buying a new bolt and nut which is longer so you can have it loser.

i have sold shifters in the past which ppl have fitted to tight and not been able to shift. i personally have my shift fork pretty damn loose and it shifts fine and doesnt rattle.

no need for loctite or something.

hope this helps. :)

zorrt
28-08-2006, 09:48 PM
naa i didnt overtightened to the point where the actual thread stripped, only till i t was hard to shift.

So no one does anything special? Maybe was the fact that I loosened mine after tightening that caused it to fall off. I'll try again but all paranoid now. Thanks guys.

RMN15N
29-08-2006, 08:57 AM
ive tightend my linkage to much and it was stiff as.. but i liked it n left it drove around for a couple days and it just got loose like normal again.. so just bare with it cause it doesnt stay tight for long..

zorrt
29-08-2006, 01:55 PM
is there anything wrong with tightenin it too much? I would of those it would be wearing something down tryin to rub and loosen up.

egSi
29-08-2006, 09:02 PM
man!!!! chuck some washers in there, helps it spin.....

too tight = no shift!!!

zorrt
03-09-2006, 05:49 PM
just for peace of mind, i bought a longer bolt, use washers, used loctite and used 2 nuts :]