PDA

View Full Version : New splits! and deadening.

funkdr
28-08-2006, 08:58 PM
Hey guys just thought id show off my new front stage a nice pair of Morel Elate 6's with deading and install thanks to the guys at FHRX studios (special thanks to Marty and Mike).

http://members.optusnet.com.au/hobsonmc/New%20Folder/boot_deadening_3.jpg
http://members.optusnet.com.au/hobsonmc/New%20Folder/bootlid_deadening_inner_1.jpg
http://members.optusnet.com.au/hobsonmc/New%20Folder/door_ds_complete_1.jpg

Old Vs New
http://members.optusnet.com.au/hobsonmc/New%20Folder/midrange_comparison_cone_1.jpg
http://members.optusnet.com.au/hobsonmc/New%20Folder/midrange_comparison_magnet_1.jpg

Drivers side tweeter postion.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/hobsonmc/New%20Folder/tweeter_ds_in_situ_1.jpg

Got it back from FHRX on sat and took it to their SQ comp and came out with a 92/123 for SQ but a -20/10 for safety for a total of 72/133 came home with the encouragement award and had a great day. More info can be found on www.fhrxstudios.com.

Next to come:

2 Channel amp for morels.
Re run power feeds with bigger guage cable.
Earthing kit.

DSNTGR8
29-08-2006, 01:23 PM
looks like they did a nice job, looks very similar to my cars deadening lol

Stoosh
29-08-2006, 08:43 PM
looks good, is there a noticable difference with the sound deadening?

soul4real
29-08-2006, 09:01 PM
Sound deadening defintely makes a difference. It can turn an average sounding system into a great sounding system. Looking forward to deadening my car.

funkdr
29-08-2006, 10:33 PM
Highly reckon mean sound deadening its tightened my bass frequencies right and the sound i nthe car is awesome now when i am at the next meet come tap my panels and u will hear the diference if any one wants a listen just pm me and i can organise a time and place.

spacemaster
29-08-2006, 11:05 PM
how much does sound deadening cost you ?

funkdr
29-08-2006, 11:09 PM
Depends on how much u need (size of doors etc) best bet is to pm marty (FHRX) and get a quote your prob looking $300-$400 depending how much u want. My car used 8 sheets.

ICACHA
30-08-2006, 01:18 AM
bulk pack has 9 sheets and retails somewhere around $300 from last price list

Mattski_VTIR
30-08-2006, 04:18 PM
I used 2 x door kits (1 kit is designed to do two commodore doors, or in my case enough to seal and cover the inner and outer skins of 1 door) Many people spend big dollars on nice equipment and skip on the install. Great speakers will sound crap without a good install. I heavily recommend sound deadening (even if just around the speaker, although more the better) Things like sound deadening and baffles are what make great speakers sound awesome! Nice install too :thumbsup:

soul4real
02-09-2006, 01:17 PM
A bulk pack will set you back 3-350. That's enough to do 2 Honda front doors and the boot, roughly.

ICACHA
02-09-2006, 08:47 PM
8 sheets did my 4 doors inside and out plus the roof and i still had one sheet left over. :)

funkdr
12-09-2006, 09:21 PM
Hey guys FHRX has bulk packs (9 sheets) for $230 this week if you want to deaden nows the time to buy i am lookign at doing more on floors and so on.

shinji112
12-09-2006, 10:35 PM
how long does the sale usually last for? i would totally buy the bulk pack but im broke thanks to all the 21st bday parties!

funkdr
12-09-2006, 11:36 PM
how long does the sale usually last for? i would totally buy the bulk pack but im broke thanks to all the 21st bday parties!
PM FHRX he is a member on here ill be gettign it this week

ICACHA
12-09-2006, 11:54 PM
Hey guys FHRX has bulk packs (10 sheets) for $230 this week if you want to deaden nows the time to buy i am lookign at doing more on floors and so on.

9 sheets in a pack last time i checked, might want to have another count :)

funkdr
13-09-2006, 12:09 AM
Woops Fixed

spacemaster
13-09-2006, 10:04 PM
where is his shop ?

Hey guys FHRX has bulk packs (9 sheets) for $230 this week if you want to deaden nows the time to buy i am lookign at doing more on floors and so on.

funkdr
13-09-2006, 10:58 PM
where is his shop ?
www.fhrxstudios.com

tron07
19-09-2006, 09:01 AM
$230... wow that cheap!

I got a bulk pack and a extremeliner too.... :D

Edit...
Forgot to mention, I got some engine (or exhaust) drone coming in at 2.5~3k rpm area... I deaden the passenger firewall part where I thought the noise come from, but it doesnt seem to solve the problem. Now I am thinking it could be the exhaust vibrations/noise that coming from the boot.... Does your deadening eliminate that noise?

JasonGilholme
19-09-2006, 09:23 AM
Question: Why is your tweeter hiddin all the way under the dash??? Wouldn't it be better to have it higher up to bring the front stage into the driver/passenger a bit better?? Somewhere on the door/pillar etc??

vividjazz
19-09-2006, 10:25 AM
Question: Why is your tweeter hiddin all the way under the dash??? Wouldn't it be better to have it higher up to bring the front stage into the driver/passenger a bit better?? Somewhere on the door/pillar etc??

See the FAQ on the FHRX site where it explains the benefits of low mounted tweeters in systems with enough amplification to drive them correctly.

Often see high mounted factory tweeters but those systems lack sufficient amplification for good results from low mounting and the tweeters are there for show NOT go.

Of course properly setup ambient high mount tweeters in conjuction with primary low mount tweeters offers the absolute best staging to bring it from about chest height to head height. If not done absolutely right it sounds far far worse than just low mount tweeters.

JasonGilholme
19-09-2006, 10:32 AM
Cool. You learn somethin every day :thumbsup:

funkdr
19-09-2006, 02:36 PM
Thats what i first thought and we mounted the tweeters in Ru$ki's car o nthe mirror triangles the part that covers the inside but the high frequences are so much more in ur face and listening to mine it give a much more balanced reproduction but the sound stage is still up high, you play a drum track in my car and the drums are on the dash.

If any one wants to have a listen to my car just pm me or just ask at the next meet i dont bite.:p

shebangs
19-09-2006, 04:01 PM
funkdr, I'd like to get your thoughts on the sound deadening. Over at CAA, they say it's the best thing since sillicon, but I wouldnt mind a another (possibly non biased) opinion.

Fr3aKi3
19-09-2006, 06:04 PM
funkdr, I'd like to get your thoughts on the sound deadening. Over at CAA, they say it's the best thing since sillicon, but I wouldnt mind a another (possibly non biased) opinion.

Highly reckon mean sound deadening its tightened my bass frequencies right and the sound i nthe car is awesome now when i am at the next meet come tap my panels and u will hear the diference if any one wants a listen just pm me and i can organise a time and place.

:thumbsup:

funkdr
20-09-2006, 12:04 AM
:thumbsup:
Theres your answer cheers Fr3aKi3

funkdr
13-02-2007, 11:49 PM
Well havent updated this in ages lots of things done but here is a teaser of whats in the works atm.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/hobsonmc/New%20Folder/DSC00526r.JPG

Rasputin
14-02-2007, 12:19 AM
How did you lose all those safety points, if you don't mind me asking?

micka
14-02-2007, 08:40 AM
I would guess not able to cut power within 30 seconds, no fire extinguisher, probably no steering wheel controls for audio... might be other things also

ICACHA
14-02-2007, 07:44 PM
maybe rules should make more sense when intended for SQ comps :?:

maybe thats why i havent entered nor will i until its a level playing field...

funkdr
14-02-2007, 09:47 PM
I would guess not able to cut power within 30 seconds, no fire extinguisher, probably no steering wheel controls for audio... might be other things also

Pretty much thats what it was, was my first comp and wasnt goign to compete but ended up doing it.

micka
15-02-2007, 07:33 PM
maybe rules should make more sense when intended for SQ comps :?:

agree 100%

Fhrx
15-02-2007, 07:47 PM

The 10455 bulk packs have 9 pieces if any members here want to be that specific.:cool:

Fhrx
15-02-2007, 07:48 PM

You sure that is the only reason champ? :D

shebangs
16-02-2007, 03:10 PM
Hey Fxhr,

What pack would a DC2 need for both doors and boot? How much overall weight will it add to the car assuming you used the entire pack + paint?

Do you post em to Brisbane?

Matt

ICACHA
18-02-2007, 11:59 AM
You sure that is the only reason champ? :D

What other reason could there be?

last time i judged plus i think the rules still exist, the only controls allowed to be used while judging sq comps were the volume control and track up/down control which guarrantees that the competitors settings arent altered during competition.

so why is it then...

seperate sub volume controllers which CANT be used to see if working but given points :?:

extra points for alarm systems fitted (like what the does that have to do with an sq comp) :?:

rules being changed EVER year, must be something with the format if you ask me :?:

judges of caasq competing in amatuer class, like how is that possible, if your a judge your in a professional position and should be competing in PRO class due to supposedly having the so called knowledge to judge or is Paul Con (for those who dont know, hes the one that owns the burgandy lancer wagon) scared of pro class :?:

and the other thing, why would i pay for a judge who thinks they know music to tell me how my car sounds, if im happy with it thats all that matters, plus if i wanted recognition id let the boys from sound & image judge my car, at least they know music :)

Fhrx
19-02-2007, 05:25 AM
Yeah I know what you mean. There are answers to all those questions according to the CAASQ format but like you, I don't agree with quite a few of them either...*shrug*

ICACHA
19-02-2007, 07:16 AM
understood

tron07
19-02-2007, 11:38 AM
extra points for alarm systems fitted (like what the does that have to do with an sq comp) :?:

judges of caasq competing in amatuer class, like how is that possible, if your a judge your in a professional position and should be competing in PRO class due to supposedly having the so called knowledge to judge or is Paul Con (for those who dont know, hes the one that owns the burgandy lancer wagon) scared of pro class :?:

and the other thing, why would i pay for a judge who thinks they know music to tell me how my car sounds, if im happy with it thats all that matters, plus if i wanted recognition id let the boys from sound & image judge my car, at least they know music :)

Alarm system is to protect your car and also audio investment... better have one just incase, even though it might not do anything but make some noise if someone decided to smash your window and pry the HU out. I find it funny that stock cars dont come with fitted alarms. :thumbdwn:

There should be a beginner's class for 1st time competitor, then amature and professional class. (but then if there is not a huge turnout, then some of the classes will probably be canceled, no point be the champ in beginner with only 1 car, your car).
Judges should not be allow to compete in the class that they are judging, comflict of interest, and usually should compete in Pro Class to show their standard. However there are judges who is not in the ICE or car audio business, so competing in Amature is fine with me.

aka_NSX
19-02-2007, 11:48 AM
What other reason could there be?

last time i judged plus i think the rules still exist, the only controls allowed to be used while judging sq comps were the volume control and track up/down control which guarrantees that the competitors settings arent altered during competition.

so why is it then...

seperate sub volume controllers which CANT be used to see if working but given points :?:

rules being changed EVER year, must be something with the format if you ask me :?:

thats TRUE the judges doesn't know anything about sound or music, thats why I stop competing since long time ago, right ICACHA ?

ICACHA
20-02-2007, 01:59 AM
Judges should not be allow to compete in the class that they are judging, comflict of interest, and usually should compete in Pro Class to show their standard. However there are judges who is not in the ICE or car audio business, so competing in Amature is fine with me.

I think you just posted something to have a post and you dont know what your talking about :)

A judge is in a role where he or she is suppose to know audio which in turn has an edge on other, thats why there has never been a judge in history that i know of who has competed in ametuer class and gotten away with it. so unless you can back your comments up, dont just say its fine with me. cause theres nothing fine with having pissed offf people seeing something like that happen, ever think why there arent more people competing? i'll let you think about that LMAO

ICACHA
20-02-2007, 02:04 AM
thats TRUE the judges doesn't know anything about sound or music, thats why I stop competing since long time ago, right ICACHA ?

Laski we had fun in the good old days, back then there was more people turning up plus it was held at different venues around the state which made it seem less bias and much more fun. been throught 2005 for the comps (not competing) yes it was ok, but for those who werent competing it was damn fcuking boring. i say bring out the dancing girls :D

There were people back then who knew music and what to look for, but if you remember stratties wankers fcuked it for the rest of us. :(

Fhrx
20-02-2007, 09:13 AM
Quite a sweeping statement. I happen to be a judge.

So Laski you're insinuating that I know nothing about sound or music and George; you're agreeing with him yeah? Am I reading those comments above correctly?

Fhrx
20-02-2007, 09:17 AM
On the subject of sound offs, I feel I should mention that this shop has no particular affiliation to CAA, CAN, IASCA or any other format. I'm more than happy to send cars to any sound off.

With that (and the fact you now have an EMMA trained person there with you George) in mind, can we expect to see an EMMA type competition up and running soon? I'm more than happy to attend and compete in them too.

ICACHA
20-02-2007, 08:59 PM
I think we're talking allow about the old days, before you were involved with Woollara Car Audio. To us they were much more fun than what we are seeing today around the traps.

And EMMA, well only the people involved with bringing EMMA to Australia can answer that question I'm afraid. I have heard something along the grape vine, but yet to be confirmed so I won't comment on EMMA coming to Australia, but if it does I'm sure that we would see a format that should take off as well as it's been performing in Europe and the USA, well the USA thats another story :)

Fhrx
20-02-2007, 09:02 PM
I know where you're coming from but we also must be careful not to hastily write off the current format on the basis that some aspects do not compare to the CAN days. I cannot speak for other states obviously but the somewhat unsuccessful launch of IASCA in NSW during the late 90's caused quite a bit of damage to the sound off scene and I'm afraid it will not be easily rectified. I view the current format as a work in progress and I encourage others to do similar. On that note remember that we ran two NSW events with Tony Doran in the second half of last year to test the waters and whilst assistance was not as forthcoming as I would have liked more from those within the industry, each event had over twenty competitors and from what I have read the feedback was 99% positive with only a few little issues (such as judging classes, security etc)...

However I agree it would be nice to find a competition format that EVERYONE Australia wide agrees on. It seems every format used to date has gained both knockers and advocates. It would be good to have a format that everybody is happy with.:)