PDA

View Full Version : prelude 5th gen weight

LiKPiC
29-08-2006, 01:21 PM
everyone says the h22a engines are heavy, im just wondering with the prelude 5th gen that weighs 1300kg

like compared to a dc5r (or other coupes or similar size) at only 1100kg, is it the prelude chassis that is heavier or is the engine really that much heavier?

basic question is: why is the prelude so heavy?

hurstyboy
29-08-2006, 06:36 PM
the engine is bigger so yes that is a factor....the car itself is larger so there is evtra weight there....add the fact of the diferances in the design with the typre r bein designed as a performance car and the prelude being more of a cruiser and bein loaded with lots of heavy...(but very very nice)...extras and you can see that it all jsut adds up

sleepyf1
29-08-2006, 06:48 PM
I think it is a misconception that the prelude is heavy.
In actual fact, the kerb weight of a manual vitr is only 1268kg. The auto weighs 1298kg whilst the ATTS model weighs 1308kg. That’s about the weight of a Corolla, so calling it heavy is an overstatement.

The prelude should not be compared to a type R because they are focused at different markets. The type R is supposedly a no compromise race car for the road so weight has been kept to a minimum. The DC5R actually has a kerb weight of 1160kg.

The prelude on the other hand is directed at being a luxurious sports car. It contains climate control (as opposed to air con) and leather seats. More obscure features include ABS with individual wheel sensors and 2 metal bars, called “dual door beams”, within each door for side impact safety.

If you look at the Integra type S, which in essence replaces both the type R and Prelude, it weighs 1230kg in manual only.

I've come to the conclusion that the Prelude just "feels" heavy. Max torque from the 2.2L is up 18NM from the type S and it also comes in 1700rpm earlier. So to pull that extra 38kg, the Prelude really has no excuse when is comes to pulling power.

What is comes down to, is a meaty power steering and shifting feel. The doors are also sturdy when closing. The biggest factor however I feel is the 5 speed gear box and engine combination. The prelude feels sluggish up until the 5500rpm vtec kick which is way too long to wait for a car that only has a 7500rpm redline. The lower ratio 5 speed also means that unless you shift at the redline, the engine speed will fall back into the fuel efficient cams, meaning you will have to wait a second to climb that 1000rpm again.

I used to own an Integra vtir where the vtec came in a 4400rpm, so there was 4600rpm of vtec madness.

P.S. I love a long post :)

Mav1
30-08-2006, 05:16 PM
I guess Preludes weren't meant to be an outright sports car or a speeding bullet... I remember when they used to market it as a "Sports Luxury cruiser". haha.. that was a while ago.

I don't mind it being a bit on the "beefier" side, though.. coz it feels soooo solid and well planted to the road. Basically, as hurtsyboy and sleepyf1 said, it's got positives in other areas like comfort and sturdiness, which is what it was meant to provide when they made it.

====

On another note... sleepyf1~ I wasn't talking about this particular site when I saw you at Hanny's today.. but I'll make it my default Prelude reference forum from now on. hahaha. I usually only come on when I have issues to take care of with my own car.. but I'll pop my head in from time to time~

See you around~ :)

Tarks
30-08-2006, 08:28 PM
prelude has more sound dedening than a teg type r.. theres a few kilo's right there

Brash22
05-09-2006, 06:46 PM
Before buying my BB6 I looked at a Type R. When I deemed that it would be too much in the $$$ department, I settled for the Prelude. There hasn't been one second since that date that I have actually considered it a compromise.

You can't compare the two, since they're so much different. As sleepyf1 stated, Integra Type R is a no compromise race car disguised with numberplates and "street" rubber, and a Prelude was a luxury car, with the ability of a sports car.

I've heard of guys with DC2 Rs that make mince meat of late model Porsche 911s on the track, and I can tell you for a fact that my BB6 VTiR is a far, far nicer place to be than my mates E36 BMW 325 coupe.

LiKPiC
20-09-2006, 10:06 AM
so its all the extras that mke the prelude a little heavier than the other coupes.
ok thanx for the replies ppl.