PDA

View Full Version : Which Clutch

Boban
29-08-2006, 08:45 PM
Ok ladies and gents, time for me to get a new clutch as mine is getting a bit F*&*'d, so now i have to decide which one. Any ideas. I want something a little bit harder than the OEM ones which i personally think are all a bit soft, but that's just me. I do plan to take the car to the track eventually but it will be mostly for daily driving.

Let me know what you lot would choose, i was thinking about Exedy heavy duty ($285 @ TODA) but i haven't driven anything with that in it, only button clutches on drift cars, which are either in or not so i wouldn't go down this route because it will be daily driven.

Thanx for all the help in advance
Boban

egSi
29-08-2006, 09:40 PM
man go for a EXEDY Heavy Duty full clucth kit and get your flywheel machined. cost bout $30 to machine flywheel and its very important.

HD = the best balance between dick stick driving and bearable daily left leg action. :thumbsup:

Boban
29-08-2006, 09:51 PM
You wouldn't happen to sell those Trav :o
If so how much? If not never mind, 'm sure i can source one somewhere

egSi
29-08-2006, 09:57 PM
You wouldn't happen to sell those Trav :o
If so how much? If not never mind, 'm sure i can source one somewhere

i used to man but toda has unbelievable prices, i doubt ull get a better price than that. jus FYI his price is better than trade in brisbane LOL

man i have a new hd in my car and its awesome, my mate has one and i liked it allot. and my other mate has a 3 puck BB. HD all the way. its awesome when u get a fresh new clutch and it 'chirps' when u change into 3rd at high revs lol

Limbo
29-08-2006, 10:48 PM
Try the sports organic HD clutch its abit more aggressive than the standard HD, but still pretty much feels like stock except it grips like madness (stalled the car twice the first time i got the clutch!)

Boban
29-08-2006, 10:50 PM
I'll see how much the stuff will cost me here in brisbane, i can get it at trade price and if it's not too much more than TODA i'll get it up here, if there is a huge difference i'll pay them and wait for it

EG5[KRT]
29-08-2006, 11:10 PM
hey wanna get it at same time ?? coz im in for a clutch too soon...

im getting it at trade up here as well.. let me know on the price u can get.

Boban
30-08-2006, 02:29 PM
I got the clutch today from K&M for $296.03 @ trade price, RRP $323 something. Trade price from Repco was $320. Best part, you don't have to pay sthraight away :p, but you should. It's the Exedy pink bits heavy duty one

honda_ek4
30-08-2006, 07:36 PM
exedy is very good i've heard

n/a
31-08-2006, 02:12 AM
cost bout $30 to machine flywheel and its very important

machining the flywheel is common sense for the shop to do when replacing the clutch, they simply have to machine it. trav you've been charged for this?!?!?!

did you end up getting the HD kit? i was gonna say spend that little more and get the organic like limbo was recommending, you wouldn't have regretted it.

Boban
31-08-2006, 08:19 AM
Yeah i got the HD kit.
As for machining the flywheel, yes we will do it when we pull everything appart. Dunno how much it will cost exactly, but yeah it's not that expensive. Sorry guys i don't know the difference between the HD and the organic kits, care to fill me in..... I only heard of the HD one and some ppl on the forum have it in their cars so i went for that one.

newmski
31-08-2006, 04:28 PM
pretty sure exedy doesnt make the organic clutches for d- series anywho...

sivic
31-08-2006, 05:35 PM
they do. but it seems you have to order them from the states as no one here seems to stock them.

muhhan
02-09-2006, 07:09 PM
Boban, so how do you find the HD clutch? Today I drove a couple of cars with the heavy duty clutches and they were very smooth. I was actually suprised at how smooth these cars were to drive as I thought they would engage suddenly.

Now I'm thinking of getting one in my civic. How do they go? The cars I drove today were RWD turbo's so I'm not sure if I would get the same feeling/engagement in the FWD, much lower powered civic.

Cheers

EK4R
02-09-2006, 07:20 PM
get a sport organic, its good for a few extra bux. and while you at it. upgrade your flywheel. apparently one of the best valued mod you can do.

Boban
02-09-2006, 08:24 PM
I haven't actually put the clutch in yet, next weekend. But i have driven cars with it (none civic) and they are pretty good, well compared to some other heavy duty ones out there. I'll let you guys know how it turns out once it's in the car. At the moment it's sitting in my room along with all the other parts that should be in the car, but are not yet :(

Boban
09-09-2006, 10:48 PM
Ok ladies and gents i've finally put the clutch in. I would've done it earlier but this was the earliest chance we had the accsess to the hoist at my bro's work and we all know how much easier it is with a hoist than with a jack and stands. So anyways what do it think about it. Well i am happy with the clutch but to be honest there is very little difference in pedal feel between the stock one and the Heavy Duty one we put into the car. It is a bit more agressive with engagement of gears but there is still good 2 or so centimeters of play so it is deffinetely suitable for everyday driving. While the car was in pieces we also replaced the inner cv booths (did the outer earlier this year) as well as the power steering booths and some of the other seals that wear and tear over time, and my car is getting on in years. Best part, bro's work kindly supplied the cv booths, engine oil and filter (did them too while at it) and ofcourse free labour (my bro, me and another guy that works with him), all i had to buy was the gearbox oil ($10/liter, need 1.8 so $20), some additive tho stop the gearbox noises (about $13) rear main seal and 2 power steering booths (universal ones fit, $9.50ea) total cost 63.50 so not too bad. Took us 5 hours with messing around and it wasn't that hard if you have the tools, so deffinetely worth doing it yourself.

Thanx to all who replied
L8RZ

czy_sol87
10-09-2006, 11:09 AM
Yeah i got the HD kit.
As for machining the flywheel, yes we will do it when we pull everything appart. Dunno how much it will cost exactly, but yeah it's not that expensive. Sorry guys i don't know the difference between the HD and the organic kits, care to fill me in..... I only heard of the HD one and some ppl on the forum have it in their cars so i went for that one.
apparently the HD clutch kits are just a heavier pressure plate, with a std clutch plate, where as the HD organic is a HD pressure plate and the clutch plate is made of an orgainic material, this clutch is surpost to feel close to stock, but it catches at the friction point harder (less slipping). or something along those lines, correct me if im wrong

Limbo
11-09-2006, 05:26 PM
yeah czy that's about right, my ek4 already came with a heady duty clutch so i got the sports organic. It was worth it. The only bad thing i can say it that it is harder to reverse uphill with the sports organic for some reason. And it smells bad if you ride the clutch