PDA

View Full Version : confused by diagram

solitz
30-08-2006, 12:10 AM
hey guys it me again...another noob question
ive got the focals installed already and now im in the hunt for an amp and sub.im planning to get a 4 channel amp, channels 1 and 2 will power the front splirs and bridge channels 3&4 for my sub.
i was on the alpine website and i looked at the MRV-F545. it is a 4 channel amp.
my question is that my headunit has the one preout only...is it possible that i can connect this amplifier to my current headunit? (i have an alpine 9852)

i ask this because i was looking at the MRV-545 manual and i was confused by this diagram. can someone aslo plz explain what 2 and 3 do? And which connections will i use to connect the headunit to this amp?

SolitZ

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n116/solitZ/RCAouts.jpg

mugeneration
30-08-2006, 12:25 AM
Has only one pre-out? Do you mean one pair of RCA plugs? If so you can buy splitters to connect to your amp.

As for the amp, the numbers mean the following:
1&4: Here's where you wire up your speakers. Just wire straight from the amp to the speakers. Simple.

2: This is the RCA in plugs. RCA cables are what you run from a head unit to the amp to carry the sound and is (what i am assuming you are talking about) you connect to the RCA plugs on the back of the head unit.

3: RCA out. This simply allows you to add another amp to your setup by running RCAs from this amp to your next one. It will carry the audio signal to the additional amp.

ICACHA
30-08-2006, 01:17 AM
you can either:

use splitters as mentioned or

go in on channels 1 & 2 and come out on the preout into a sub level controller and then back into 3 & 4 or

come out of the preout and go into 3 & 4

works a treat :)

channels 1 & 2 are meant for the fronts as the bridged power isnt going to be as high as channels 3 & 4

you can go to www.apline-usa.com and download a manual for it from there :)

solitz
30-08-2006, 03:55 PM
so what are my options...coz i have the one set of RCA connections at the back of the headunit, and the 2 input connections on the amp.
does that mean if i want to attach this amp i need to buy splitters in order for it to be connected to the h/u? (btw is it also expensive?)

lol aslo someone please reassure me that this type of (headunit to amp) connection is possible?

Mattski_VTIR
30-08-2006, 04:04 PM
You can change the settings on the AMP to carry the signal from channels 1 and 2 through to channels 3 and 4. I will have a look at my amps if you would like and let u know the setting, but its something alont the lines of 1/2+3/4. (one of the little switches under the silver plate) This way you can just connect one set of RCA's to channels 1/2 and not have to worry about splitters or other RCA's! I will check the settings tonight and post them up! This way you will be using the entire amp (obviously you wont be able to fade front to rear, but will still have left and right)

Mattski_VTIR
30-08-2006, 08:19 PM
You can change the settings on the AMP to carry the signal from channels 1 and 2 through to channels 3 and 4. I will have a look at my amps if you would like and let u know the setting, but its something alont the lines of 1/2+3/4. (one of the little switches under the silver plate) This way you can just connect one set of RCA's to channels 1/2 and not have to worry about splitters or other RCA's! I will check the settings tonight and post them up! This way you will be using the entire amp (obviously you wont be able to fade front to rear, but will still have left and right)

the setting is actually 1-2, this will send the same signal to all channels. Depending on your setup (running front speakers and sub or, two sets of speakers) just set your HP/LP etc accordingly. This will work fine with your head unit. Obviously having a headunit with more outputs (Front, Rear and or Sub) will give you more control especially over your sub (naturally the more rca outputs you have, the more rca leads you will have to run to take advantage of the extra flexibility) None the less one set will do your setup just fine. Hope this helps

stanleym
30-08-2006, 08:45 PM
easiest thing u can do plain and simple

1. you headunit will work fine with this amp
2. buy 2 rca splitters(making sure there 1 male , 2female ports)
3.attach these to headunit
4. attach 2 rca cables to each spitter and rundown car
5. wire to amp making sure left side rca (from heaunit) go into left on amp channel

Mattski_VTIR
01-09-2006, 08:14 PM
easiest thing u can do plain and simple

1. you headunit will work fine with this amp
3.attach these to headunit
4. attach 2 rca cables to each spitter and rundown car
5. wire to amp making sure left side rca (from heaunit) go into left on amp channel

if you plan to upgrade your headunit to something with more outputs then running more than 1 set of rca's would be worth while. If your planning on keeping your headunit i would still recommend doing what i said earlier, and changing the settings on your amp to run all 4 channels of one set of rca's! No point running the extra rca's if your always going to be splitting them from one pre-out!

Rasputin
02-09-2006, 06:28 AM

Well you could use either 1M-2F or 1F-2M, it just depends on where you want the splitters I suppose.

But I'd definately have to agree with Mattski_VTIR, the less extra connections you have in your wiring the better, so just let your amp mirror the front input to the back like he says.

solitz
05-09-2006, 12:34 AM
thanks for all that guys...dat cleared up lots of things for me :)