PDA

View Full Version : REVIEW: Eurocarbon copy of J's Racing Carbon Fibre Air Intake

JasonGilholme
30-08-2006, 08:05 AM
Hi there everyone

I just received my Eurocarbon copy of the J's Racing Air Intake of Trav(egSi) to put onto my 96 del sol so i thought I'd write up a little somethin to let ya'll know what i think of it.

Firstly, once all my details were confirmed with trav I received the product the same day! I was soooooo stoked about that. It helps if you live close to brissie i guess. :P

The package came wrapped up extremely well with bucket loads of bubble wrap and fragile stickers etc etc. Almost took me longer to open it then to install it on my car. :P When we finally got it unwrapped my mrs said "That is effing gorgeous hunni!".....this intake will get you laid fellas :P

The package came with the following things:

* Carbon Fibre intake arm
* Pod Style air filter
* two-piece bracket
* all silicone joiners and clamps that are needed.
* Red piping to go from crankcase vent to intake arm.
* Sexy lookin underground imports sticker :P

The install was easy. Just remove everything to do with the standard intake system. While you've got it all removed I suggest giving the throttle body a clean to ensure you get maximum effect from your new intake. I also re-routed my throttle cable so it doesn't go for a road trip around my engine bay any more while i was there.

Lining it all up was quite easy. The only thing I had to relocate/move out the way was a small part of the wiring loom. I could have left it the way it was but i decided to move it so it didn't rub on the CF.

I decided not to use the piping that came with the air intake. Its a bright red colour which doesn't float my boat. I went and got som 3/8 fuel hose from my local parts shop and use that instead.

I also decided to use a bracket that i had lying around from one of my past intake setups on another car. The bracket is used to stop the filter form bounciung up and down. I attached it to where the clutch bleed line mounts onto the chassis. (I think thats what it is anyway) You should be able to see it in one of the pictures at the end.

All up the install took me roughly an hour, including re-routing the throttle cable and resetting the ecu.

Once i was done i took her for a spine and OMFG is all i can say. At idle, if i put my ear up to the filter i can hear it sucking in the air. Cruising at light throttle is pretty close to stock but if you decide to put your foot down in 4th its gonna sound like a fog horn! lol. Low down torque has improved alot, the throttle response is great and VTEC is loud as a **&%^$#*@##$*@#.

This mod did everything that Trav said it would and I look forward to dealing with him again. (hopefully soon)

I'm happy to answer any questions about this intake in regards to fitment on a del sol.

Cheers

jase

egSi
30-08-2006, 08:57 PM
pass me a shovel jase coz i dig it mate. :thumbsup:

thing thing kills in terms of improvment in responce.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

looks hot too :p

mrwillz
30-08-2006, 09:24 PM
nice nice
pics?

JasonGilholme
30-08-2006, 10:44 PM
*passes trav da shovel* :P

pics are attached to the post.

DLO01
31-08-2006, 12:14 PM
Love your work Jase, well done! :thumbsup:

You gota love that ROAR! :D

SiReal
31-08-2006, 01:34 PM
nice all you need is a sexy heat shield :)

Chris_F
31-08-2006, 07:27 PM
damn that looks nice in the bay man! looking foward to your future mods - i gotta see this del sol

JasonGilholme
31-08-2006, 09:55 PM
damn that looks nice in the bay man! looking foward to your future mods - i gotta see this del sol

HAHA thanks man. Its pretty well stock at the moment cause its only been in my garage for about a month now.

Lookin forward to goin for a small cruise with some local BNE peeps so I should see ya round sometime soon.

SiREAL: I should have a template made up for a custom airbox sometime soon so it should have nice cold home soon. :)

egSi
01-09-2006, 07:47 PM
^ js with airbox helmet? id like to see that :thumbsup:

JasonGilholme
01-09-2006, 10:03 PM
I'll take some pics of the process if you guys want.

Someone on OH is also doin an airbox setup for a Euro so I might wait to see what they did cause i've never done anythin like this at all. (yes i'm the metal work virgin :P)

egSi
03-09-2006, 10:24 PM
sheet metal and pop rivets ftw :thumbsup:

NightKids
05-09-2006, 01:14 AM
another satisfied customer of underground imports, fantastic!

JasonGilholme
05-09-2006, 06:19 AM
damn straight! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

egSi
06-09-2006, 09:39 PM
lol im happy too :thumbsup:

jase, how exactly this box goin to work? fill up the area behind the headlight back to the strut tower? what u thinking of?

dont keep it secret ;)

[ricer]
06-09-2006, 09:51 PM
looking good
you need the carbon fibre plug cover to compliment it

JasonGilholme
08-09-2006, 11:55 AM
haha Yeah the CF plug cover would look good. I'll have to do some photoshop work to see what a white rocker cover would look like as well.... ;)

As for the box trav, it'll go from the headlight back to the strut tower like you said. I gotta make a side as well, so i'll have to go straight down to where the clutch bleed line bolts on to the side of the engine bay. I'll show you what i mean when i come round. Hopefully i'll have a template of cardboard cut out soon so i'll be able to show ya'll.

If it fits nicely i'll sell someone the design..... ;)

egSi
09-09-2006, 12:10 AM
cool i wana see this 'box' for the cf ****. :thumbsup:

cf plug cover? can do man ;)

vrrroommm
12-09-2006, 12:52 PM
Looks bitchin!

Where do you attach that metal brace to, on the intake side? I got one (not eurocarbon, but a plastic one, second hand). I'm just not sure where that brace will attach to. Not drilled to the intake I hope.
Is it just bent over the O-bracket that secures the filter?
Pics would be great, man.

JasonGilholme
13-09-2006, 12:17 PM
Hey mate.

The metal bracket is made to fit between the o-clamp and the filter. When installing you put the o-clamp round the filter, put the fitler on the intake arm and once the filter is in place you grab ya bracket and put it inbetween the filter and the o-clamp, hand tighten the nuts on the o-clamp and attach the other end to the body work.

I bolted the other end of the bracket to the clutch line. Theres two bolts that hold it on. I tried to re-use the bolts that hold that little clutch line bracket to the bodywork but their a bit short. I ended up using the bolts that used to hold the air box on.

PM me man cause i can hook you up with some more info ;)

vrrroommm
13-09-2006, 05:57 PM
Thanks, man.
Actually, I saw the tutorial done by travis today on the delsol. I think I can see what you mean from what he was showing.

Cheers!... Wish I had gotten the carbon fiber one... looks fken amazing!!

JasonGilholme
15-09-2006, 11:44 AM
CF All the way yo! :P :thumbsup:

Boban
16-09-2006, 07:49 AM
I just got my cf one this week, very simple to install and the noise the thing makes......:D Put up some pics of the box mate or even better a diy so we can all make them :p thanx

I was also thiking, because it's pretty much straight behind the headlight.....take the headlight out, for track use that is. It doesn't get any more CAI than than, the filter would be pretty much sticking out of the engine bay. Any thoughts on this...

Anyways here's what mine ended up looking like.
Thanx to Trav again for the goods as well as for doing me a kick a55 deal on it :thumbsup:

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/2194/1409060830ul0.th.jpg (http://img238.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1409060830ul0.jpg)

egSi
16-09-2006, 07:45 PM
looks hot man.

glad your happy with it :thumbsup:

JasonGilholme
16-09-2006, 11:17 PM
Another honda in the CF Club!!!

Haven't had much time lately to be playin with my car but when i do the airbox is next!!

I like the idea about the headlight removal. If you had a box around the filter as well that would be great. it would hold that cold air near the filter rather then spreading it round the engine bay.

Boban
18-09-2006, 06:42 PM
This is what i came up with today, not 100% yet but getting there :p

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/6549/1809061637lg9.th.jpg (http://img218.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1809061637lg9.jpg)

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/317/1809061638ng1.th.jpg (http://img155.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1809061638ng1.jpg)

Still gotta wrap it in some cf film and get rid of all te gaps so it's all nice and tight

I used aluminium (1mm) by the way

JasonGilholme
18-09-2006, 09:57 PM
Sweet man. My plans are lookin pretty similiar except i'm gonna try and tuck it under the quarter panel a bit and hopefully make it all out of one piece (which i think you did yeh??)

Was it hard to work with?? cutting and bending etc??

J

egSi
18-09-2006, 10:16 PM
This is what i came up with today, not 100% yet but getting there :p

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/6549/1809061637lg9.th.jpg (http://img218.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1809061637lg9.jpg)

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/317/1809061638ng1.th.jpg (http://img155.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1809061638ng1.jpg)

Still gotta wrap it in some cf film and get rid of all te gaps so it's all nice and tight

I used aluminium (1mm) by the way

shit! ^ thats ****ing ****! nice one mate :thumbsup: what are your driving impressions with that installed?

Boban
19-09-2006, 08:40 AM
Sweet man. My plans are lookin pretty similiar except i'm gonna try and tuck it under the quarter panel a bit and hopefully make it all out of one piece (which i think you did yeh??)

Was it hard to work with?? cutting and bending etc??

J

Mine ended up being a 2 piece because of the size of the intake (nice and fat) it was easier to do it that way. One piece on top and another on the zide with a hole in it for the pipe.

Aluminium is pretty easy to work with mate, i used an angle grinder (extreme !!!) and a little hack saw to tidy it up afterwards and put some vacuume hose which i cut a slit into around the hole so it doesn't scratch the intake, gotta keep it shiny. I still wanna push it further into the guard, got a small gap there and a few more bits and pieces before i'm 100% happy with it, but so far so go.

Trav, driving with it is great, keep chirping 2nd all the time, and with heavy 17's and a stock engine....well didn't use to do it before :p. The downside, because i love revving it my fuel economy is suffering, but just a small price to pay as far as i'm concerned

JasonGilholme
19-09-2006, 08:46 AM
Sweet man. Just don't want to have to go out and buy an angle grinder!! :P I'll have to be the hacksaw man for this one.

Should have some time this week to get my template together so I'll post up some pics of my kellogs cornflakes air box :P

Top work man!! :thumbsup:

Boban
19-09-2006, 01:04 PM
The template is deffinately a good idea mate, something i didn't do, which meant i had to keep going back and forth to the car and make small adjustments, alot easier with cardboard than with aluminium.

Anyways this is what i did in the few spare hours i had b4 work (better start get ready for it :eek:)

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/1866/1909061247gh1.jpg

Don't be hating the sticker, it's the only one i had lying around, need to get me a 'Bunnings' one from somewhere and a few more. Like the way RMN15N's one turned out with stickers so i'm gonna do the same.

The cf film cost me more than the aluminium :p, and it's not even the same shade, bah close enough

One suggestion, when you are working with the aluminium, wear some dirty/old clothes and DO NOT do it under a tree, no matter how nice of a day it is, both me and my tools got shat on by the birds above :confused:

JasonGilholme
19-09-2006, 01:50 PM
HAHAHAH Thanks for the tip RE: the tree!!

Looks good man. I'll probably end up spraying mine the same colour as the bodywork of the car. Depends what the aluminium looks like in its raw form tho.

How much were the materials if you don't mind tellin us all??

egSi
19-09-2006, 08:56 PM
snap man! u really did a job on that.
i planned on doin it to my old cf js fed d16 and never got round to it.

we need meet up so i can get some better pics of this setup :eek: :thumbsup:

chuck a ui sticker on it man :p ;)

jase imo a body matched airbox for your js would own. :thumbsup:

is it possible to get it as air tight? or r there major gaps round the bottom?

JasonGilholme
19-09-2006, 09:58 PM
i was doin up a template for my setup just before i jumped on OH and the only major thing stopping it from being air tight is the clutch line and the shape of the strut tower. They're slightly abnormal but i reckon a bit of fancy design work will solve it ;)

J

Boban
19-09-2006, 10:58 PM
Materials:
Aluminium sheet $26.25 from bunnings, i think it was 900x500mm still have more than half of it left, i also got some brackets (only ended up using one to bolt the bottom piece to the strut tower where the air box bolted up to -pkt of 5 brackets + 10 screws 4.90)
And the CF film was $39.99 :eek:, but i bought it anyways because i really really wanted the cf look.

As for being airtight i need to redesign, as Jason said the clutch line is a b!7ch to get around and the shape of the strut tower, but i guess if i made a fibreglass mould from on it, it could work. I'm happy for now though, just need to get that "bunnings" sticker :p, ohh and Trav if you got a CF one sure, y not

egSi
20-09-2006, 05:41 PM
clutch line issues r easy solved. i have a stainless steel braided line my garage thatll help with it.

top stuff guys. if u get it air tight it would be damn near perfect :eek: