PDA

View Full Version : Handbrake led/Brake lamp indicator coming on

sabih
30-08-2006, 11:28 AM
I have this problem that the lefthand tail light works for a few minutes and then the 'brake lamp' indicator and the 'handbrake' idicator display on the dashboard as not working. About 2-5 mins later the ABS light also comes up on the dash.

I have no idea what to do.. is this something like a fuse, or would i possibly need an auto electrican?

Dray_Templar
30-08-2006, 12:18 PM
sounds like you should see an auto electricain to me, if the fuse was blown the lights would not come on at all. (broken circuit when fuse blown)

ECU-MAN
03-09-2006, 02:57 PM
change all your brake light globes, with new ones
even the eye level brake light globe.

make sure thier is no corosion in the globe holder.

Sensei
03-09-2006, 03:12 PM
change all your brake light globes, with new ones
even the eye level brake light globe.

make sure thier is no corosion in the globe holder.

I would try that too. When one of my brake lamp globes went out, my handbrake light also came on along with the brake light (6th gen). After getting a new globe put in the handbrake light turned off (never affected my ABS light or anything else though). What year/gen is this for?

ichiban
06-09-2006, 12:58 AM
I've got a 6th gen myself and the indicator for the handbrake would light up even though the hardbrake was down and the brake fluid levels were topped up. Turns out it was because the brakepads were getting on the thin side. Replaced those and the indicator stopped showing.

Definately would suggest getting it checked by auto-electrician, but check that the brakepads dont need changing too

mj3610
06-09-2006, 10:49 AM
as ichiban has said, handbrake light will come on if your brake pads are worn, the ABS light is coming on because of the handbrake light, it is an indication that your ABS cannot work properly because ur driving with the handbrake up.
i'd check the brake pads first :)