PDA

View Full Version : When Idling At The Lights ..

sabih
30-08-2006, 11:29 AM
I have this problem with my car that when the car is idling i hear this weird noise every so often its like a 'hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm' noise that lasts about 2 seconds and then goes.. but it happens every time the cars idle. The interior and headlights also dim and then go back to normal..

Dray_Templar
30-08-2006, 12:17 PM
is you cars aircon/ climate controll on at the time?
it maybe just the fans or somthing like that kicking in.

sabih
31-08-2006, 10:28 AM
it can happen when the aircon(climate control)/heater is both on and not on..

EuroDude
31-08-2006, 10:38 AM
Its probably just the thermal fan running.
Wasnt there a thread on this exact topic already?

SiReal
31-08-2006, 02:06 PM
Its the fan running cos when u idle, the car sits there and gets warm. so the fan kicks in and cools it down.

btw, what car do u drive? maybe it can help with us answering ur questions, re the tranny

sabih
02-09-2006, 01:23 PM
1994 accord vtis, and that noise i just realised is not only at idle but when driving aswell.. it sounds like a hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm noise and lasts only about 1-2 seconds.. the car virbrates slightly

aaronng
02-09-2006, 01:25 PM
Sounds like the radiator fan. But so far I've only noticed the A/C compressor as having enough power draw to actually dim your lights. I haven't had my lights dim because of the radiator fan and my battery is 1/2 the size of yours.

Honda Enthusiast
11-09-2006, 12:43 PM
I know for a fact that Accords from 1992 - 1999 have this common problem...I drive a 1998-99 Accord V6-L and this too happens when idling...however not to your extent I must say.

For example, I go to Macca's drive-thru...it idles and the radiator and it's fans kick in to keep the car at normal temperatures and the car's engine stable during non-movement idling...and yes, sometimes when the fans kick in harder, the lights dim for around 1 second then goes back to full capacity...

However, if the above situation happens when you drive - I would certainly get the problem checked out...

Good luck,
SKY

JasonGilholme
11-09-2006, 12:57 PM
Maybe you could think about upgrading your ground wires/battery??

Alot of people with newer accords have noticed an improvement on warm starts just by upgrading the ground wires. It's an easy DIY. Only took me an hour to do.

It might have a positive effect on your situation.

Good luck mate

Jase

aaronng
11-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Nope, ground wires doesn't fix dimming lights. A larger battery helps, but not by much.

Honda Enthusiast
11-09-2006, 01:16 PM
Nope, ground wires doesn't fix dimming lights. A larger battery helps, but not by much.

Yeah...also, do you have to many stuff running on the one battery? E.g. a friend of mine has heaps of neons in side and outside and this has caused some strain on this car!

As Aaronng suggested - perhaps get a larger battery or check to see if you're over-wired everything onto your car unncessarily!

Cheers,

Kevin

aaronng
11-09-2006, 01:47 PM
Yeah...also, do you have to many stuff running on the one battery? E.g. a friend of mine has heaps of neons in side and outside and this has caused some strain on this car!

As Aaronng suggested - perhaps get a larger battery or check to see if you're over-wired everything onto your car unncessarily!

Cheers,

Kevin
Mine's full stock with regards to electronics. I changed to 4ga ground wire (twice the thickness of pivot ground wires), and it fixed warm start problems. Dimming was still the same. I didn't install a capacitor box. Changed to a more powerful battery, 430cca upgrade from 300cca and RC=80 minutes, cold start problems were fixed, and lights dimmed but not as badly. And my lights dim when I am driving and A/C compressor kicks in.

Honda Enthusiast
12-09-2006, 01:25 PM
:cool:
Mine's full stock with regards to electronics. I changed to 4ga ground wire (twice the thickness of pivot ground wires), and it fixed warm start problems. Dimming was still the same. I didn't install a capacitor box. Changed to a more powerful battery, 430cca upgrade from 300cca and RC=80 minutes, cold start problems were fixed, and lights dimmed but not as badly. And my lights dim when I am driving and A/C compressor kicks in.

Yeah, I might get a new battery too as my neons are really causing some strain on the poor battery!

aaronng
12-09-2006, 01:31 PM
:cool:

Yeah, I might get a new battery too as my neons are really causing some strain on the poor battery!
Got a pic of your car with the neons on? I want to see how bright they are.

Honda Enthusiast
12-09-2006, 01:42 PM
Got a pic of your car with the neons on? I want to see how bright they are.

I will definitely post pics very soon! I promise!!

Moreover, when we go to the cruise, I will show all!

aaronng
12-09-2006, 01:47 PM
I"m in Sydney, so I can't go for the cruise. But remember to take pics with the neons on.

Honda Enthusiast
12-09-2006, 02:01 PM
I"m in Sydney, so I can't go for the cruise. But remember to take pics with the neons on.

I promise! LOL

hihiihih

mj3610
13-09-2006, 05:26 PM
mine sorta does the same thing, its because when the fans are turning on, the engine idle goes down for a split second but lights dont dim. its sorta like when u turn the AC on and engine vibrates for a sec. its normal. :)