PDA

View Full Version : mixed rim sizes

n/a
31-08-2006, 02:56 AM
anything mechanically or physically wrong with putting different sized rims on the fronts to rears?

i remember something like "balance" blah blah is off or something.

n/a
31-08-2006, 06:48 PM
14s in the fronts (14"x6, 195)
15s in the rear. (15"x6.5, 205)

both are light weight.

Twincam16
31-08-2006, 07:00 PM
Front to back should be fine, as long as there isnt much of a difference in heigh, Id be concerned if it was left/right differences. Not to mention you have a small car.

j3z3z
31-08-2006, 07:01 PM
try and keep the same rolling diameter. and the best option for grip/handling on rims is to have wider fronts than the rear

n/a
31-08-2006, 07:17 PM
yea i know what you mean, that's why i'm keeping it as pairs.

i was thinking of putting the 15s on the fronts and 14s on the rears, but i want to have the heavier ones on the rears, to induce oversteer. then again, having wider tread on the front would bring oversteer too.. damn..

but i think it'll look too funny if the 14s were on the rear..

Zilli
31-08-2006, 07:53 PM
try and keep the same rolling diameter. and the best option for grip/handling on rims is to have wider fronts than the rear

where didja get this info from mate? not being a dick, just asking

j3z3z
31-08-2006, 07:53 PM
i know of many fwds that race that use bigger all round wheels on the front.

Zilli
31-08-2006, 07:54 PM
wouldnt that create an imbalance in the car under brakes and while corrnering?

Zilli
31-08-2006, 07:57 PM
you arent talking about drag racing are you?

n/a
31-08-2006, 08:28 PM
no not for drag, more so track.
jez you talking about bigger fronts and smaller rears? or bigger than stock all round?

j3z3z
31-08-2006, 10:14 PM
never over do your rim size for handling 18s 19s etc. 15s and 16s are the best bet in rim sizes for fwd cars and on a tight track run you fronts up to 1.5inches wider then your rear this causes slight oversteer wich is better and quicker than the standard understeer. if its a faster track run the rears the same as the fronts= high speed stability.

ZILLI "wouldnt that create an imbalance in the car under brakes and while corrnering?" answer is yes. towards over steermind you and i would rather turn than plow off the road

Twincam16
31-08-2006, 11:08 PM
The difference wouldnt be that great in this situation, the difference in diameter from front to rear may cause a slight change in roll (if any) from different sized sidewalls and oversteer from greater traction at front, but this would probably be over-ruled by the difference in weight on fronts anyway. I really wouldnt bother with it, just keep your current setup, no point wasting the $800 to change another 2x lightweight rims for the peace of mind.

Basically, you are more likely going to get greater steering response and handling by relocating your battery/raising bump & rebound on drivers side. Little things dont matter unless you are serious about the track. But that generally means, you need a trailer... If you had choppers on rear and 17x6 on front, you will notice difference.

Hope this gives you slight peace of mind mate.

Limbo
31-08-2006, 11:27 PM
i'm running bigger tyres on front without any issues at all, it affects how the car will react but that will depend on your driving style also.

I have larger tyres on the front and smaller ones on the back and the car oversteers slightly, which is the way i like it as it allows me to swing abit. Your not gonna know until you try.

p.s spoon's race car is was running 205/50/15 on front an 195/55/15 on back. Just a thought as they put alot of money into their R&D

n/a
01-09-2006, 01:35 AM
sorry , i don't think you guys are getting my question. of course, running different width tread isn't a problem, as long as you keep them in pairs.
but what i'm asking is different sized RIMS, ie 14s at the front and 15s on the rear.

twincam seems to be the only one on track. i was thinking it wouldn't make a huge difference, since i'm not "racing". but if the opportunity presented itself, would it be worth getting 15s all round?

Twincam16
01-09-2006, 01:13 PM
If you can find some that look similar and have light weight, then go for them, but dont go searching. You are unlikely to find anything, probably one of those things that will pop up and you say "ohh i need them!"

n/a
02-09-2006, 04:45 AM
yea i know what you mean. not looking for the same set, just 15s in general.

dsp26
02-09-2006, 08:01 AM
perfectly fine. but as said as long as its front/back and not sides.

big cars always do them especially rwd having slightly bigger and wider rims at the back.

the only gHEy thing is when you rotate your tires... i'd think 15s front and 14s back would mega homo unless it was a drag car but even then you wouldn't do 14/15... look at the online performance crx lol :p

your rear tyres would last ages and eventually get the plastic-ish cracks in them and you'd just keep replacing your front tyres.

imho don't bother

e240
02-09-2006, 10:02 PM
14s in the fronts (14"x6, 195)
15s in the rear. (15"x6.5, 205)

both are light weight.

But why? FWD cars load the front (Front tyres have to cope with Turning forces as well as driving forces) so technically you'd want bigger up front, but because it looks damn stupid on the street, its just better to run same size all round.

Running smaller wheels up front is probably detrimental to performance.

n/a
03-09-2006, 03:28 AM
i was thinking as long as theres no tread width difference, it'll be better to run 14s on the front. engine requires less to get the 14s spinning, aposed to the 15s (even though both 14s and 15s are light weight).

i have a pair of 14s and 15s, hoping not to use a pair of nonames with my light weight rims..

string
03-09-2006, 06:50 AM
i was thinking as long as theres no tread width difference, it'll be better to run 14s on the front. engine requires less to get the 14s spinning, aposed to the 15s (even though both 14s and 15s are light weight).

i have a pair of 14s and 15s, hoping not to use a pair of nonames with my light weight rims..
The engine still indirectly has to spin the rears at the same speed, so no matter how they are driven (either engine or dragged like a fwd) you still pay for it's rotational inertia.

dsp26
03-09-2006, 08:57 AM
The engine still indirectly has to spin the rears at the same speed, so no matter how they are driven (either engine or dragged like a fwd) you still pay for it's rotational inertia.

no you don't as theres nothing spinning it. the only 3 on the car that suffers from rotational INERTIA is the flywheel/clutch, wheels connected to driveshaft and massive brake rotor upgrades. (awd exception as it will obviously get this effect on all 4)

rotational mass and inertia applies to an object spinning around an origin providing a force. it is the force that suffers (in this case engine power) as a result of the technically increased weight from the spinning object

***EDIT***
actually theres a heap of other stuff, pulleys, crank, rods, etc...

e240
03-09-2006, 10:59 AM

Well, thats only on moving off, once you start to load up the front with enthusiastic driving.... Even if the the width's the same, the circumference is different and the tyre would run hotter.

But...

I guess if you're just using it for the street...then it probably won't make much of a difference.

Mr_will
03-09-2006, 11:21 AM
no you don't as theres nothing spinning it. the only 3 on the car that suffers from rotational INERTIA is the flywheel/clutch, wheels connected to driveshaft and massive brake rotor upgrades. (awd exception as it will obviously get this effect on all 4)

rotational mass and inertia applies to an object spinning around an origin providing a force. it is the force that suffers (in this case engine power) as a result of the technically increased weight from the spinning object

***EDIT***
actually theres a heap of other stuff, pulleys, crank, rods, etc...

clearly it was said that the engine is INDIRECTLY spinning the rears, which is exactly the case - no power is being sent there, but the rears still have to go from being stationary, to rotating at the same (give or take, the exception being if your fronts are spinning, or locked up) speed, and thus are subject to rotational inertia

n/a
04-09-2006, 12:45 AM
kinda off topic guys..

Mr_will
04-09-2006, 08:34 AM
kinda off topic guys..

how? what we are talking about are issues relating to having different rim sizes

n/a
04-09-2006, 04:00 PM
hence the word "kinda"

bennjamin
04-09-2006, 04:07 PM
if it hasent already been mentioned , i was informed by Police that havng different sized rims front n rear is illegal.

n/a
05-09-2006, 01:52 AM
if it hasent already been mentioned , i was informed by Police that havng different sized rims front n rear is illegal.

really? haven't heard of that one before. where did you find that out?

man everyone keeps finding all these things that are legal/illegal. there should be somewhere that just tells you everything that you can and can't do to your car..

j3z3z
05-09-2006, 06:27 PM
lol illegal legal. Exotic sports cars run different size rims

bennjamin
05-09-2006, 09:52 PM
really? haven't heard of that one before. where did you find that out?

man everyone keeps finding all these things that are legal/illegal. there should be somewhere that just tells you everything that you can and can't do to your car..

as i said a couple of police stated this to me after a RBT onetime- well to be exact "...mate , you should change those front wheels to the same as the rears , its illegal". (*points at steelies on front and 15's on rear*)
Sucks that its at the cops discretion IF they choose to defect you or otherwise be annoying

n/a
06-09-2006, 01:28 AM
as i said a couple of police stated this to me after a RBT onetime- well to be exact "...mate , you should change those front wheels to the same as the rears , its illegal". (*points at steelies on front and 15's on rear*)
Sucks that its at the cops discretion IF they choose to defect you or otherwise be annoying

that's gotta suck.. interesting how they actually noticed the difference in size.
do RBT's actually know what they're talking about?