PDA

View Full Version : DIY - how to open up doors to Fix CENTRAL LOCKING.

Honda Enthusiast
31-08-2006, 08:27 PM
Hi guys,

I have done searches for this but have not found anything so please do not say I didn't....

I have a 1999 Honda Accord V6 LUX - now my central locking works fine - with the exception of the front left passenger's door!

So when I auto lock all my doors...all locks except for the above door...now, can someone please help with the following...

1. How the hell do I open up the door - i.e. take out the leather, controls etc without damaging the door when I put it all back again.

2. How do I know what's stuffed - what spots should I do look for.

3. How do I fix it?

Many thanks, :thumbsup:

SKY

Honda Enthusiast
31-08-2006, 08:32 PM
can someone please help?

destrukshn
31-08-2006, 08:55 PM
sounds like your actuator is focked.
get a test light, and see if there is power going to the actuator when you lock/unlock the doors.

i can't tell how to take off your door trim, but i can give you a rought idea
*undo all the screws you can see, some may have covers, so look out for them.
* undo the rod from the handle with a flat head screw driver.
from there, nothing else should be attached.
* now it should be only held on by clips, carefully pull off the door trim, try not to use so much force, just in case you may break the trim.

once the trim is off, to the right of the door, you will see a block, that's your door lock and actuator, there should be 2 wires going to that lock/acutator, use a test light to see if any power is going coming through the wires, if they are, my bet is, the actuator is buggered. they are quite expensive from home, around the $150 mark i'm quite sure it is.

but you can use aftermarket solenoids, cost you $15 for the solenoid, but have to hooke it up yourself.

Honda Enthusiast
31-08-2006, 09:06 PM
get a test light, and see if there is power going to the actuator when you lock/unlock the doors.

* now it should be only held on by clips, carefully pull off the door trim, try not to use so much force, just in case you may break the trim.

once the trim is off, to the right of the door, you will see a block, that's your door lock and actuator, there should be 2 wires going to that lock/acutator, use a test light to see if any power is going coming through the wires, if they are, my bet is, the actuator is buggered. they are quite expensive from home, around the $150 mark i'm quite sure it is.

but you can use aftermarket solenoids, cost you $15 for the solenoid, but have to hooke it up yourself.

Thanks my friend for sharing... I really appreciate it...however, if you can get some step-by-step pictures, that would be excellent as I am so shyte at cars to say the least...

Many thanks my friend!!

Apperciate it!

SKY

destrukshn
31-08-2006, 09:39 PM
can't get step by step pictures..
1. beucase of i don't that kind of car to work on
2. i just don't have any time.
lol.

Honda Enthusiast
31-08-2006, 09:56 PM
can't get step by step pictures..
1. beucase of i don't that kind of car to work on
2. i just don't have any time.
lol.

Thanks mate - what I was thinking is perhaps I'll get a VIPER alarm installed or something and then just ask them to fix my central locking too - would this be alright and would they know how to fix this??!

Cheers,

SKY

destrukshn
31-08-2006, 09:57 PM
there are 2 ways to fix it, IF it is your actuator,
use aftermarket one.
or use a genuine one.

DomenEK
31-08-2006, 10:58 PM
I had this exact problem on my civic's rear driver's side door. Turns out the actuator (as destukshn mentioned) was stuffed. A new genuine one would have cost me my left testicle, so I decided to go for an aftermarket one, which only cost me a few pubes....

Can't say how to do it, I didn't have the time nor the patience at that point, so I got an auto-electrician to do it for me. But it shouldn't be too hard, just use you intuition...

Honda Enthusiast
01-09-2006, 12:04 PM
I had this exact problem on my civic's rear driver's side door. Turns out the actuator (as destukshn mentioned) was stuffed. A new genuine one would have cost me my left testicle, so I decided to go for an aftermarket one, which only cost me a few pubes....

Can't say how to do it, I didn't have the time nor the patience at that point, so I got an auto-electrician to do it for me. But it shouldn't be too hard, just use you intuition...

How much do you think it will cost to get a new actuator (whatever that means)?

I'm going to get my Viper alarm installed tomorrow morning and the installer said he'll have a look at if it's all good, he'll fix it for free otherwise, I'll have to pay extra for it!

EuroDude
01-09-2006, 12:11 PM
Its possible that a wire/connector has come loose. Open the door up and have a look at the wiring and re-attach them. Connector contacts can oxidize over time and malfuntion.

Removing teh door trim is quite easy once you know how. You basically need to remove a few screws under the door handle, behind the armrest cover, etc.. then the bottom of the door trim will rip out towards you (you need to use a bit of force, but they shouldnt break), then you lift the top up and off. You may need to unclip the door handle rod before removing the panel though depending on the design.

I have no idea how the V6-L doors look so I cant help you there, but its not hard to figure it out yourself if u be gentle and patient.

Have a search in google for "Accord door trim removal"

Honda Enthusiast
01-09-2006, 01:29 PM
Thanks for that I'll give it ago! Cheers again!

RMN15N
01-09-2006, 02:15 PM

couldnt have said it better myself.

Honda Enthusiast
01-09-2006, 04:29 PM
couldnt have said it better myself.

I want to try it myself, some simple pics someone?

EuroDude
01-09-2006, 04:41 PM
Google Images ftw!

Search "accord door trim"

Honda Enthusiast
03-09-2006, 03:09 PM
Google Images ftw!

Search "accord door trim"

Just an update - I finally got my VIPER alarm installed...done. Very happ with it.,..only thing is my left-front door is still 50/50 doesn't always respond to central locking, hence will have to bring it back so that he can get it checked again...

I did a search on Google but found anything useful...wouldn't mind learning how to do this myself!

Regards,

SKY

stoodamire
09-09-2006, 10:58 AM
Same thing happen to my Accord, but it just started working again..

Honda Enthusiast
10-09-2006, 03:34 PM
Same thing happen to my Accord, but it just started working again..

OK fellas...thanks to all that have helped me....

OK, finally had the courage and time to say, 'ah what the fark, I'll just open up my car and what I can do..." so I did.... I opened up the door and have fixed my central looking by myself...on yeah! LOL

Can't believe how simple and plain shit are inside the doors...man, it makes you think....if you get hit...it's just the outside metal, some plastic and some plastic plus the leather door sides to protect you....ooouchhh.... :D