PDA

View Full Version : What grade engine oil u guys use?

yeehou
01-09-2006, 01:49 AM
Hey guys, i'm gonna get my car for service soon, any advice on which engine oil will give better fuel comsumption? Thanks, please include the brand and the grade. Thanks a million.

aaronng
01-09-2006, 01:52 AM
Search is your friend. It is the yellow word above^

yeehou
01-09-2006, 01:53 AM
so can i ask is my car suitable to run 5w?

aaronng
01-09-2006, 02:24 AM
k20z in your Civic sport can run 0w-30, 5w-30, 10w-30, 0w-40, 5w-40 and 10w-40. The manual also says you can run 0w-20 and 5w-20, but I feel that 20 is too thin.

For your new car, use any of the Xw-30 oils. Once it gets older (after 6-12 months), then you can try the Xw-40 oils.

Limbo
01-09-2006, 09:10 PM
OOOOOooooooo search is now yellow didn't even notice ;P

Anyway arrong the serach function seems to b stuffed. I just tried a search on oil and got nothing, or even Honda FEO.

I know there are some Oil threads cos i even contributed to slot of them!

panda[cRx]
02-09-2006, 12:26 PM
Honda FEO 10w-30, especially seeing as you would only be in for your 10,000km service as they don't change the oil on the civics in the 1,00km/1 month service

aaronng
02-09-2006, 01:28 PM
OOOOOooooooo search is now yellow didn't even notice ;P

Anyway arrong the serach function seems to b stuffed. I just tried a search on oil and got nothing, or even Honda FEO.

I know there are some Oil threads cos i even contributed to slot of them!
You need to type in at least 4 characters. So search for "oil*"

Twincam16
03-09-2006, 04:42 PM
For less fuel consumption, use lowest weight that your engine is specified to. For better protection, raise this slightly.

aka_NSX
03-09-2006, 08:54 PM
honestly if you never track your car just use genuine Honda engine oil and change your oil every 5000 kms, your car will last forever, even my NSX just use Honda oil i never had any problem

egSi
03-09-2006, 10:29 PM
oem honda oil always aka FEO, bust lube on the planet :eek: :thumbsup:

Twincam16
03-09-2006, 10:38 PM
OEM honda is a standard non-synth oil, which is made to general specifications from Honda for a range of motors. I prefer to use a fully/semi-synthetic oil in my engine which is more suited to a high revving motor, those with better properties, ie. Magnatec, Quicker warmup etc.

I believe these little features save your engine in long run. But everyone to themselves, if you believe its better for your engine, then use it.

Limbo
04-09-2006, 09:47 AM
magnatec is not fully snyth. Try something like Mobile 1 ELF 10-30, or the motul range is you want fully synth.

syth, oils have a tendency to seep thru the seals more due to being more thin. JUst check that your not burning oil when hitting vtec or high RPM alot

aaronng
04-09-2006, 06:52 PM
magnatec is not fully snyth. Try something like Mobile 1 ELF 10-30, or the motul range is you want fully synth.

syth, oils have a tendency to seep thru the seals more due to being more thin. JUst check that your not burning oil when hitting vtec or high RPM alot
If you buy a synthetic of 10w-30 viscosity, then it will have the same viscosity as that of a 10w-30 mineral oil. And once you have driven around with the oil for a few months, the mineral oil would have reduced in viscosity due to shear and heat stress, making it an oil thinner than 10w-30. A synthetic oil would maintain its 10w-30 viscosity for a longer duration.

Hydrocracked synthetics like Castrol Edge 5w-30 break down as fast as mineral oils. Only true synthetics like Mobil 1 10w-30, Motul, Elf and Edge 0w-40 would have better durability over mineral oils.

[ricer]
04-09-2006, 07:02 PM
my d16y4 motor says to use honda feo oil in this high performance motor..

yes i laugh at the performance part too

kj887
04-09-2006, 08:50 PM
for me, I only choose Mobile One, very good engine oil, highly recommend.

Twincam16
05-09-2006, 12:12 PM
If you buy a synthetic of 10w-30 viscosity, then it will have the same viscosity as that of a 10w-30 mineral oil. And once you have driven around with the oil for a few months, the mineral oil would have reduced in viscosity due to shear and heat stress, making it an oil thinner than 10w-30. A synthetic oil would maintain its 10w-30 viscosity for a longer duration.

Hydrocracked synthetics like Castrol Edge 5w-30 break down as fast as mineral oils. Only true synthetics like Mobil 1 10w-30, Motul, Elf and Edge 0w-40 would have better durability over mineral oils.

+rep aarong for that explanation.

Fully synth is basically a pure oil which will should never be underplaced. It is cleaner, provides better lubrication, improves performance and fuel consumption & runs better at higher temps. For the extra cost, it keeps me feeling safer about my motor. I sound like John Laws.

Seal problems only occur with older models/worn seals. This shouldnt be a problem with most B-series engines, as they have been designed with performance in mind from factory.

krogoth
05-09-2006, 01:00 PM
im sure the standard honda oil will be fine for a d series engine

for my d17, i just take it to service every 10k kmz and they chuk in the usual generic honda shit in there, does fine

u dont need a semi synthetic or fully synthetic oil for a non performance car, unless of course u TT a d17 and thrash the shit out of it evry day, lol

aaronng
05-09-2006, 01:27 PM
im sure the standard honda oil will be fine for a d series engine

for my d17, i just take it to service every 10k kmz and they chuk in the usual generic honda shit in there, does fine

u dont need a semi synthetic or fully synthetic oil for a non performance car, unless of course u TT a d17 and thrash the shit out of it evry day, lol
Actually, Honda FEO is very good for what it is. I've used other mineral oils like the Castrol GTX range and those are really bad. First of all, the engine accelerates rougher. It's very obvious. Second, the rocker cover breather lets a tiny bit of oil back into the intake before the throttle body. GTX3 totally gummed up one injector and the throttle body was sticky within 3 years!

krogoth
05-09-2006, 03:00 PM
yes honda feo is good, i didnt mean it was crap by calling it generic

i just meant that it wasnt some "coooool" stuff from autobarn or something

its just the ordinary, top quality oil from honda dealers

destrukshn
05-09-2006, 03:03 PM
genuine FEO

ichiban
07-09-2006, 10:14 AM
i remember asking something similar a while back myself. apparently the director of spoon sticks with the FEO since its designed specifically for hondas and Vtec. If it's good enough for spoon, its good enough for my lil honda. That's all I've ever been using and I have no complaints. It's roughly ~$30 from the trivett classic honda so its pretty fair as far as price goes too.

hui
09-09-2006, 01:33 PM
for me, I only choose Mobile One, very good engine oil, highly recommend.

i agree