PDA

View Full Version : 98 prelude vtir petrol problem.

trust.
01-09-2006, 02:34 AM
i've recently bought a 98 prelude vtir :D .. poured a full tank of petrol.. stepped on the gas a fair bit.. petrol gauge showing about 1/3 left of petrol.. and had only gotten CLOSE to 300kms.. i thought this was a bit strange.. anyone know what could be wrong ?

gReY-oNe
01-09-2006, 02:43 AM
seems normal usally full tank gets u about 450-500 MAX
depending on how conservatively u drive

it seems liek its runnin pretty healthy since u siad u have takien it for abit of a fang

with 1/3 left and u driving normal shoudl get about another 100
which would give u close to 400

instead of full tank
y dont u calcualte how many litres of petrol u put into ur car and how many kms
do the maths its abit more accurate :D

6thgear
01-09-2006, 11:27 AM
more vtec = more petrol, unfortunately...

vtek
01-09-2006, 11:45 AM
make sure you put the same amount of petrol and fill it up at the same spot. Your prelude would be using as much fuel as a v6 if you drive it hard.

Tarks
01-09-2006, 12:38 PM
Is it auto or manual?
My 98 auto gets bout 430 tops and thats with bout 5L left over after refilling, and without vtec'in it too much.. and its stock =\
Manual's ive heard get closer to and/or 500.
Depends on alot of things though..
Driving style, wat time you drive(amount of cars on the road), where you drive (stop start traffic and lights, roundabouts, etc all add up), how much u use the air con, how much excess weight you have on the car, tyre pressure, road surfaces, and general maintenance of the car can use a check if your really worried..

The only sure way of checking how many litres you get per 100kms is to take it for a long drive up or down the coast or outback in open roads and see how much you can get.
No point in comparing with others coz no one will drive the exact same way you do or same times and same places, etc as described above..

trust.
03-09-2006, 01:12 AM
more vtec = more petrol, unfortunately...
yeh.. unfortunately..

trust.
03-09-2006, 01:24 AM
Is it auto or manual?
My 98 auto gets bout 430 tops and thats with bout 5L left over after refilling, and without vtec'in it too much.. and its stock =\
Manual's ive heard get closer to and/or 500.
Depends on alot of things though..
Driving style, wat time you drive(amount of cars on the road), where you drive (stop start traffic and lights, roundabouts, etc all add up), how much u use the air con, how much excess weight you have on the car, tyre pressure, road surfaces, and general maintenance of the car can use a check if your really worried..

The only sure way of checking how many litres you get per 100kms is to take it for a long drive up or down the coast or outback in open roads and see how much you can get.
No point in comparing with others coz no one will drive the exact same way you do or same times and same places, etc as described above..

its a manual.. driving style.. hmm.. the first 60kms i was letting the vtec kick in quite a bit :D but once i saw the fuel starting to drop, i started changing gears at about 3000 3500 revs.. i'll take up on ur advice.. i'll give it a full tank this monday and see how many litres i get out of the 100kms.. thanks for the advice ! :thumbsup:

Tarks
03-09-2006, 01:41 AM
It can depend on alot of things really.

Check general tuning and maintenance..

Check all filters - air, oil, fuel (try using OEM filters if your going to replace).

Check oils, use thinnest oil honda suggests... also I think castrol vm something is good ive heard? dont quote me on that though..

Make sure all the sensors are functioning properly, like oxygen sensor.

Clean out your injectors, make sure they arnt blocked.

Check ur timing is correct.

Maybe sparkplugs need changing, I suggest iridium sparkies, should last long.

Apart from all that which can all be checked and delt with at a mechanic or something, there are also the factors I added above like wher eyou drive and how you drive.

Check the graph below, from honda, about the type S lude (thanks to Menthu_Rae on PA.com).

http://asia.vtec.net/beystock/honda/preludes/a25.jpg

Other things that can be checked are tyre pressure, keep it to what is indicated, or even a tad bit above. This reduces rollin resistence, more pressure = less resistence = less fuel.

Reduce as much weight as possible, no point carrying 50 million items in the backseat or boot, so if u got rubbish lying around, throw it out before u leave the house and pass the bin.

If u have big wheels, like chromies or sumfin, u might wana think about putting the stock alloys back on, much lighter.

Anything that can reduce drag across the body is also another factor, like big wings on the back and stuff that is just ther eto look nice sometimes.

Crank your windows open and turn your a/c off.

As for changing parts, getting better air flow into the car should increase efficiency and reduce fuel usage.. Thats like intake, headers, exhaust system... Also gets you some straight out gains, which is hard to find in our H22A engines sometimes..

Generally, keep your driving style 2 as smooth as possible, try not to suddenly accelrate or brake. Try keeping you rev rang around 2-3k, try shifting bout 2.5-3k, etc..