PDA

View Full Version : My exhaust fell off...

DD2
01-09-2006, 10:02 AM
I recently had the exhaust upgraded and it seems they forgot to tighten the bolts on one of the flanges. I'm now driving with just the extractors as the rest of the piping is no longer connected.

Apart from being ridiculously loud is this going to have any negative effect on the car until i have time to get it fixed on Monday?

Q_ball
01-09-2006, 10:05 AM
Afaik, performance wise it should be better LOL, as in its less restrictive.
Havent u seen those drag cars where the exhaust jst comes straight from the headers and then off to the side of the car?
I dunno, stand to be corrected hehehe.

DD2
01-09-2006, 10:12 AM
hahah yeaah i think it goes a little better, but then it might just be the noise that makes me think it is faster.... it's so hard to tell with these cars as they don't have much power to begin with.

Zdster
01-09-2006, 10:13 AM
So you only have the headers attached and thats it? Well, I wouldnt be driving the car as if you have no cat and get pulled over expect to pay a whopping great fine.

Q_ball
01-09-2006, 10:15 AM
So you only have the headers attached and thats it? Well, I wouldnt be driving the car as if you have no cat and get pulled over expect to pay a whopping great fine.
Ditto to that,
No cat fines are 10k.

krogoth
01-09-2006, 10:55 AM
^^yes i was about to mention that

10k sounds right, ill try and dig up the legislation.....

as zdster mentioned, dont drive it around till u get the exhaust fixed, ull def get in deep shit for this

DD2
01-09-2006, 12:07 PM
It's cool... i have every intention on repairing it, my main concern was if it was causing any damage as i've had to drive it in to work this morning.

Spunkymonkey
01-09-2006, 12:34 PM
Not fun having cat and flex dragging on the ground like mine was years ago lol....

only thing I can think of is extra heat under the car lol

string
01-09-2006, 08:26 PM
When I first did my engine swap, my exhaust didn't line up so I drove it to work a couple of days without one. As much as I was trying to keep the noise down to a barable level (which was difficult as idle was about as loud as my car is WOT now), I gave it a stab one time and it was a dog. Sounded like an absolute machine though, it's awesome. I really felt sorry for pedestrians and houses that I drove past, it truly is unbelievable how much sound a 1.8litre motor can spit out.

Limbo
01-09-2006, 08:55 PM
not having an exhaust actually will make you loose power. Your car was designed with a specific output and the exhaust halps with scavaging and gives back pressure. Its like having a very large exhaust on the car.

Have a look at F1 even they have exhaust systems less the cat.

SKREMN
02-09-2006, 12:01 AM
it want cause any hard to the car just get it fixed and you'll have no problems

DD2
02-09-2006, 06:41 PM
finally had a chance to have a proper look at it came off where the cat bolts up to the rest of the system... the cat was just dangling, so i was still running a cat haha :)

I've patched it up with some bolts i had lying bout till i get a chance to take it back. The car was stupidly loud.