PDA

View Full Version : Clear tail lights

Dulcinea
01-09-2006, 10:22 AM
Thoughts on putting clear tail lights (and clear indicators) on a 90 prelude series 2 model?

Bron

Q_ball
01-09-2006, 10:30 AM
All up to the individual owner,
IMO, no, i rekon it would make the older car look even older.
IMO, clear tails on old cars are a tacky upgrade.
IMO, a better aethetical mod for your car would be a nice drop job, nice rims, and nice paint job (nice paint on older cars is HOTNESS :))
IMO, clear tails only suit some newer model cars.
But thats jst my opinion ;) hehehe

Im not being a smart ass here, but i stress the "opinion" part as this topic about clear tails tends to stir up flammage and generalisations about "rice".

Dulcinea
01-09-2006, 10:41 AM
Yeah i know what you mean about making it look even older, I hadn't really thought about that until you mentioned it. I personally like the red taillights against the black anyway. It could do with a new paint job, but I really don't think I'd be able to afford one. It's got the decent rims, but if I got it lowered - I wouldn't be able to get it in my driveway haha. I was thinking about painting the break calipers too, just something small to add a bit of 'rice' as you put it. Maybe I should put up the 'I love rice' sticker... *cough*

Q_ball
01-09-2006, 10:51 AM
I dunno, i find myself admiring older cars with awesome paint jobs.
When i say awesome i dont mean Chamelion paint or sparkles etc, jst a very nice metallic or pearl finish, even an immaculate factory base colour will do the trick.
Brake calipers yeh, not bad, nice and quick lil additive.
Stickers, *cough* well...each to their own :p LOL

Dulcinea
01-09-2006, 10:54 AM
Well I dont think I'll be heading down the 'sticker' road ... I'll leave that to the playboy and ripcurl girls. As for paintjobs, it looks shiny when its been cleaned, but there are a few nicks and stuff here and there. I mean, how much are we talking about for a decent paint job?

cool_filo
06-09-2006, 04:57 PM
i think its about 2k to 4k for a decent paint job..

nuborn
06-09-2006, 05:12 PM
Yeah i know what you mean about making it look even older, I hadn't really thought about that until you mentioned it. I personally like the red taillights against the black anyway. It could do with a new paint job, but I really don't think I'd be able to afford one. It's got the decent rims, but if I got it lowered - I wouldn't be able to get it in my driveway haha. I was thinking about painting the break calipers too, just something small to add a bit of 'rice' as you put it. Maybe I should put up the 'I love rice' sticker... *cough*

go the brake caliper painting!!! me and justin (the dude who organised the PA cruise in tassie last weekend) are gonna paint our brake pads, doin mine in 2 weeks in fact. i am either gonna do them red or try for a similar blue colour to my car. it aint ricey at all, rice is a mixture of big chrome mags, two tone, sparkle paintjobs and altezza style lights all round, a lancer done up basically. i rekon black or red for caliper colour on ur black prelly would look good.

Dulcinea
08-09-2006, 05:00 PM
i think its about 2k to 4k for a decent paint job..
yeah, i dunno if i can afford that... a friend of mine knows someone in the business and got her old beetle re-done for about $800, dunno how good a job they did, but might be worth looking into. i'd just get it done black again if at all, but make it a pearl or metallic job to make it look newer and shinier.

Dulcinea
08-09-2006, 05:02 PM
go the brake caliper painting!!! me and justin (the dude who organised the PA cruise in tassie last weekend) are gonna paint our brake pads, doin mine in 2 weeks in fact. i am either gonna do them red or try for a similar blue colour to my car. it aint ricey at all, rice is a mixture of big chrome mags, two tone, sparkle paintjobs and altezza style lights all round, a lancer done up basically. i rekon black or red for caliper colour on ur black prelly would look good.

yeah you gotta post photos as you do the DIY job!

CUL8R
09-09-2006, 06:22 AM
yeah, i dunno if i can afford that... a friend of mine knows someone in the business and got her old beetle re-done for about $800, dunno how good a job they did, but might be worth looking into. i'd just get it done black again if at all, but make it a pearl or metallic job to make it look newer and shinier.
lol for 800 ill buy 30 cans of spray paint and paint it matt black for ya. lol

thats ultimate budget cheap arse paint job man. seriously if u do that to ur lude:thumbdwn:
im considering hurting u just for thinkin it! lol

Dulcinea
09-09-2006, 03:45 PM
lol it was definately mates rates, her paintjob is pretty decent actually.
but i dont think paint job is high on the priority list right now, but i give you permission to smack me in the face if i ever thought about doing that to my lude.

91'lude
11-09-2006, 08:05 AM
firstly, i dont even think there is sets of lights for 3rd gens... they'd need to be custom.

Secondly, you've got the series 2 model, why would you even consider it?

preludacris
11-09-2006, 02:36 PM
if you have series 2, serzly leave it STOCK

with a paint job, 800 bux would be mates rates, and basically a same colour respray (no door jams, boot, under bonnet)

but yeah if your doing a same colour respray, u can get decent ones for 1.5k

alot of ppl here will say u can't tho.

phily
12-09-2006, 01:29 AM
yo dimbo, LEAVE THE STOCKIES.

all the s1 3rd genners want s2 rears!

i was thinking about doing something like this to my lights if possible.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/phily87/clearconcept2.jpg
ohh the last time i saw my rims that shiny. hate being so lazy. cbf cleaning the rims.
soo many spoke that require individual attention....

Dulcinea
12-09-2006, 10:32 AM
hey man, it was just a question, no need to call me 'dimbo' or anything. i like my lights how they are, i was just wondering what people thought. the red looks hot with the black, not so keen on it with white paint jobs and stuff though.
anyway thanks for the opinion.

nuborn
12-09-2006, 10:37 AM
wat u want on these forums is constructive criticism, not insultive ciriticism, no point callin ppl names.

i got ur back bron.

phily
12-09-2006, 02:02 PM
soz man. no offence intented. didnt mean dimbo like that. i come out all wrong on forums when im sarcastic :(

Dulcinea
12-09-2006, 03:04 PM
i do that too. i'm sure i sound much more ditzy on here than i would in real life. no harm done man.

nuborn
12-09-2006, 04:11 PM
apology accepted dude, its all good.

1989JDMlude
12-09-2006, 05:01 PM
i just nightshaded the top half of mine... looks the goods.

Dulcinea
12-09-2006, 06:55 PM
i just nightshaded the top half of mine... looks the goods.

you got pics? sounds pretty mad!

azn-70y
12-09-2006, 07:24 PM
yeh leave them stock, uve got the series 1 front with the series 2 rear iirc, thats hot, just leave it, the only other thing ive seen which i like cesides custom lights like flipmods and people in the states make are these http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/2456/dualyspq7.jpg

1989JDMlude
12-09-2006, 08:58 PM
^^ to get tails like that you need, testors candy apple red paint. im pretty sure any candy apple red paint will do the trick.

ok the pics.. of nightsahde.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i258/1989JDMlude/03-09-06_1018.jpg
.. this is a older pic when the car was a 4wd and had ricey cannon.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i258/1989JDMlude/YaY006.jpg

Dulcinea
12-09-2006, 09:42 PM
yeah, its got a series 1 front, must have been in an accident that i dont know about. i still dont know about the lights, i think i might just leave them stock. but i am undecided about whether or not to take the spoiler off now ....

azn-70y
13-09-2006, 12:19 AM
ive seen a couple with the s1 front n s2 rear, thhey look hot best of the 3rd gen ludes, imo they look better wit no spoiler,

phily
14-09-2006, 12:37 AM
take it off, take it off

hate spoilers on cars. looks alot cleaner

unless you're on the track, drag etc, they are pointless.

Dulcinea
14-09-2006, 09:12 AM
take it off, take it off

hate spoilers on cars. looks alot cleaner

unless you're on the track, drag etc, they are pointless.

IMO spoilers are pretty ugly too, although on a few models i dont mind a really small one. i was thinking with a 3rd gen it might look a big boxy without it though?!

azn-70y
14-09-2006, 02:11 PM
nah looks cleaner n smoother, mine has no wing, looks beter imo

Dulcinea
14-09-2006, 06:26 PM
cool. i guess if i really miss it i can just put it back on right?!

azn-70y
14-09-2006, 10:57 PM
ahh depends, if u take the spoiler off i think ur left with holes in the boot lid which u can leave and let rain water drip in and make a pool in ur boot and eventually cause rust, OR u cud fill up the holes and spray it so its a pro clean finish or u can get plugs and plug up the holes but then ur left with plugs in the lid which looks fugly,

phily
19-09-2006, 03:31 AM
just plug it up and if you dont like it you can just put it back on.

my mate plugged up his spoiler holes for a few months and then he went to a panel beater and got them filled. FYI its a lancer and looks soo much nicer without a spoiler.

mattsama
19-09-2006, 03:55 PM
What do you need to put s2 lights on a s1. i thought it was just as simple as replacing the boot lid and the whole rear set of lights. Am i correct in this assumption?

azn-70y
21-09-2006, 12:15 AM
nope, u need the rear taken off and a s2 one welded on,

1989JDMlude
21-09-2006, 06:43 PM
You'll need the boot lid, new lights and rear panel.
First you need to drill out EVERY weld on the existing rear panel. Pop that out and then reweld a series 2 panel in there. Then you can install the lights and the lid.

!JonZap!
22-09-2006, 01:26 PM
the other option is to redrill new holes for the s2 lights

phily
22-09-2006, 04:12 PM
You'll need the boot lid, new lights and rear panel.
First you need to drill out EVERY weld on the existing rear panel. Pop that out and then reweld a series 2 panel in there. Then you can install the lights and the lid.
http://www.prelude3.com/Exterior/taillight%20conversion/taillight%20conversion.htm

Because the new taillights won't fit the rear panel of an 88-89 Prelude, I bought the new type panel at the dealer. Drilling new holes and cutting the panel to accommodate the new lights is also possible, but is untidy.

you the hell is gonna check out the rear tailight panel??!! nobody exept perfectionists.

Redteg
03-10-2006, 09:57 PM
the other option is to redrill new holes for the s2 lights

You 'can' just redrill mounting holes for the S2 lights, but you end up with lights which do not seal perfectly onto the rear panel. You also need to rig up the boot lock. The previous owner of our Prelude did this, and it annoys me no end. If I were to keep the car I'd definately get the entire rear panel swapped out.

Of course, bootlids are different too! S2 bootlids come down lower towards the lights.

I think the rear bumpers between S1 and S2 are slightly different in terms of how high they come up the rear panel. I can't recall exactly, but there was an issue when I tried to fit S1 lights back on with the S2 bumper in place.

I bought all the S1 parts needed to get it back to normal (lights, bar, attachments) but doubt I will do it.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid216/p78dbd9b7a6dc0c5aaedf92dbf66b4a85/ecb2cb6d.jpg

Sorry, dodgy pic of the S1 lude with a S1 bootlid, S2 tails and bumper, and dodgy pointing down exhaust (because the fumes were getting into the boot and cabin through the dodgily attached tails).