PDA

View Full Version : Legality of Pod filters?

Setanta
01-09-2006, 01:03 PM
I've never been an advocate of them, but more and more places are telling me that unsealed pods are illegal. Fact or Fallacy?

(Yeah, my GTi came with one and I might have to find the original box).

CUL8R
01-09-2006, 01:08 PM
unsealed oil based are illegal if unsealed.
paper base pod filters are legal if unsealed.
both are legal if sealed.

just to clarify, an oil based pod can be cleaned and reused, where paper ones cannot

aaronng
01-09-2006, 01:21 PM
But police don't usually differentiate between oiled and dry pod filters. They usually generalise all pod filters as being oiled and therefore illegal if exposed.

CUL8R
01-09-2006, 01:37 PM
yeah hes got a point!
i had one drop kick trying to defect me and goes oooo an exposed pod, knowingly oil based i said o but i thought paper based pods are fine when exposed in the engine bay. he goes to me....oh sorry my mistake
lol

WhiteAP1
01-09-2006, 03:53 PM
This was taken from the EPA modified vehicle guidline

Intake systems are designed to ensure that the correct air/fuel ratio is available to the engine for the cleanest burn to minimise exhaust emissions. Systems that provide excess air or fuel can create high exhaust emissions from the vehicle. Fuel or other hydrocarbon vapour that escapes as evaporative emissions can lead to the formation of photochemical smog. Replacement air cleaners are permitted provided that they have all connections and systems present on the original air cleaner and operate in anidentical manner

a) Open element or pod type air cleaners on carburetted vehicles are not permitted.

(b)Dry element pod type air cleaners are permitted on EFI vehicles. Oiled, oil-soaked or fluid-treated elements are not permitted. Any sensors integral to the original system mustbe retrofitted to the same approximate location

I told u we should have made it a sticky :p

Vinnie
01-09-2006, 04:30 PM
so all oil based pods in the engine bay are illegal if not in an air box? an adequate heat shield that virtually covers it doesent count i suppose... but a cai that situates the pod outside the engine bay is fine?

edit: this q was in relation to cul8r's post concerning 'sealed' and 'unsealded' filters. the way the vic epa is worded does indicate all oil based pods are illegal on efi cars which wood make alot of modified cars out there 'illegal'...

SPEEDCORE
01-09-2006, 04:45 PM
so all oil based pods in the engine bay are illegal if not in an air box? an adequate heat shield that virtually covers it doesent count i suppose... but a cai that situates the pod outside the engine bay is fine?

The way it reads to me is that all "oil based pods" are illegal on EFI cars, regardless of location.

dsp26
01-09-2006, 04:46 PM

Intake systems are designed to ensure that the correct air/fuel ratio is available to the engine for the cleanest burn to minimise exhaust emissions. Systems that provide excess air or fuel can create high exhaust emissions from the vehicle. Fuel or other hydrocarbon vapour that escapes as evaporative emissions can lead to the formation of photochemical smog. Replacement air cleaners are permitted provided that they have all connections and systems present on the original air cleaner and operate in anidentical manner

a) Open element or pod type air cleaners on carburetted vehicles are not permitted.

(b)Dry element pod type air cleaners are permitted on EFI vehicles. Oiled, oil-soaked or fluid-treated elements are not permitted. Any sensors integral to the original system mustbe retrofitted to the same approximate location

could you please provide the original link.

would like to have a printed copy straight from the site to leave in my glovebox

dsp26
01-09-2006, 04:48 PM
The way it reads to me is that all "oil based pods" are illegal on EFI cars, regardless of location.

oiled filters are banned outright for road use. due to possible fires resulting from backfire.

and yes it does happen, i know coz i had my hand in an airbox when the ****er backfired and stalled... this was a 4age

aaronng
01-09-2006, 05:47 PM

This is Vic's EPA though. NSW EPA doesn't have a statement saying "dry pods are alright on EFI vehicles". So if it doesn't say it is allowed, the cops can muscle their way to a canary.

vtec_jet
01-09-2006, 06:53 PM
this has been covered a ba-zillion timezzzzzz

Setanta
01-09-2006, 10:13 PM
this has been covered a ba-zillion timezzzzzz

Good of you to post that constructive piece of information - please feel free to crawl back under your rock thx. :thumbdwn:

Thanks to the other posters, as I pointed out, I don't advocate pod usage and never bothered researching it :) I'll be looking to modify the stock box as I did with my EF9 for peak flow.

CUL8R
02-09-2006, 02:34 AM
i dont know anything about civics.
but
something like my prelude the air box is located infront of the drivers headlight. i have a clever idea to make the appearance of a stock intake.

take out the air box and resonator, run a pvc pipe down into the wheel well and fit a pod filter. reinstall the top of the air box ontop of what is nothing but a pvc pipe now and there u go, budget CAI, looks dead stock.

Vinnie
03-09-2006, 04:38 AM
this is prob a really dumb q but ive seen that the aem filters advertise 'never need oil' but as far as im aware of theyre definately reusable. does this make thm exempt as opposed to say, injen filters which do require oil? im looking to get a cai/sri but dont wanna do it if its not all legal and dont wanna resort to the 'stock cover on top, pod filter underneath' method... are there ne cai/sri's that u can buy off the shelf that arent defectable on a road car?
ps. btw ive already used search on the forum to find as much as i can about them and sry to sorta hijack this thread :p...

T-onedc2
03-09-2006, 08:36 AM
Mine appears stock but I cut a huge hole in the base, made a steel bracket to fit on the base which runs a 4 inch tube under the front right guard, wouldn't know it's there and works well.

panda[cRx]
03-09-2006, 02:51 PM
this is prob a really dumb q but ive seen that the aem filters advertise 'never need oil' but as far as im aware of theyre definately reusable. does this make thm exempt as opposed to say, injen filters which do require oil? im looking to get a cai/sri but dont wanna do it if its not all legal and dont wanna resort to the 'stock cover on top, pod filter underneath' method... are there ne cai/sri's that u can buy off the shelf that arent defectable on a road car?
ps. btw ive already used search on the forum to find as much as i can about them and sry to sorta hijack this thread :p... the AEM filters you are reffering to are dry type metal mesh filters (instead of foam)
hence no need for oil

http://www.funkystyling.co.uk/images/products/aem_dryfilter.jpg

injen filters are foam based and hence need oil

http://72.3.236.181/files/images/product_thumbnail/t_29826_01.jpg

(btw if u need either AEM or Injen products feel free to pm me for pricing;))

Vinnie
04-09-2006, 11:51 PM
k thanx panda, ive never actually seen either so i wondered wat the difference was and now i know :D

could you please provide the original link.

would like to have a printed copy straight from the site to leave in my glovebox

lol this is the link to the vic epa modified vehicle guidelines:
http://epanote2.epa.vic.gov.au/EPA/Publications.nsf/2f1c2625731746aa4a256ce90001cbb5/c90ec843f3bbbe8fca256d9f00181c59/$FILE/1031.pdf
(u have to copy it into ur address bar)

and i was looking around and i found the qld gov document 'all about modifications to motor vehicles' as well
http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/LTASinfo.nsf/index/vehicles_modifications then click on the 'attached booklet' link at the top of the paragraph.
nothing on pods in there tho... :(

also found an aust. gov web page that contains full versions of some of the ADR's... sum of its really technical stuff tho and its not all completely relevant but it seems like a reasonable source for researching the legality of sum mods...
http://www.dotars.gov.au/roads/motor/design/adr_online.aspx

neway sry if all this stuff has been posted b4 (and it prob has :p) but jus thought ide post up wat i found :)

XB-16-AX
06-09-2006, 12:20 PM
yeah hes got a point!
i had one drop kick trying to defect me and goes oooo an exposed pod, knowingly oil based i said o but i thought paper based pods are fine when exposed in the engine bay. he goes to me....oh sorry my mistake
lol

what about those BLITZ mesh type filters?

they are not paper nor oild ..just thin mesh!!

are they illegal if exposed or sealed?

:confused:

panda[cRx]
06-09-2006, 01:12 PM
depends on your state, have a check with your rta. each state should have a website for the relevant rta/vicroads etc. (a quick google search and you will find it)

you are better off covering it anyway to minimise heatsoak from the engine bay as best as possible. they are not illegal as a fire hazard however you may have some issues with the induction noise side of things etc plus epa reasons somebody mentioned.

on top of all that remember that in most states defect notices are issued at the discression of police officers, it may very well be legal but if a cop believes it is he can still canary you for it

JaCe
22-04-2010, 12:42 PM
Just a quick bump considering it popped up on Google when I was searching for why pod filters are illegal :)

EK1.6LCIV
23-04-2010, 08:15 AM
last time a bud was pulled up on it in his type x the only requirement was that the air intake arm was to be secure (had an hks mushroom pod on it), they're getting laxer again in the laws locally (QLD)

I would just run the line into your inner gaurd as in theory its a 'sealed' enclosure (with the inner fender splash gaurd intact)

Trojan
06-06-2010, 12:00 AM
I got a defect yesterday for my pod filter. Basically cop cited EPA for the reason (although from what I know EPA is VIC and I was done in NSW).
Anyway, cop said it illegal unless it's in a box. In ACT however, it is legal to have a pod filter exposed from what I've been told by a couple mechanics down there.

This just indicates what a load of crap these laws are, cause if they were real issues, they would be consistent, and how hungry cops are to hassle people for minor stuff, and when you really need them, they are bloody hopeless.

VTECMACHINE
10-06-2010, 09:51 PM
They get drenched in Fuel, and spontaniously combust --- appparently, according to Police.

Alexplicit
14-06-2010, 07:46 PM
rofl something terribly wrong if fuel is coming out the TB...

hey guys... i use to work for the RTA .. and im sick of hearing the shit for the police. now..

The RTA EPA and Police all have different standards and guidlines. it should be in this order of power EPA RTA then police... byt the RTA rules and regs pod filters are legal as long as they are secured. cant be flapping around.

this is for NSW.

Alex

vinnY
15-06-2010, 10:42 AM
^ does that mean the only intake arm itself has to be fixed or the pod itself has to be fixed to something?

Alexplicit
15-06-2010, 05:00 PM
well the way i see it. if the pod filter is secure there shouldnt be a great deal of movement in the intake arm.

vinnY
15-06-2010, 05:27 PM
well you know how the police are, doesn't hurt to cover all your bases

Alexplicit
15-06-2010, 06:19 PM
yeah i do...

Trojan
15-06-2010, 11:17 PM

hey guys... i use to work for the RTA .. and im sick of hearing the shit for the police. now..

The RTA EPA and Police all have different standards and guidlines. it should be in this order of power EPA RTA then police... byt the RTA rules and regs pod filters are legal as long as they are secured. cant be flapping around.

this is for NSW.

Alex

Mate so can you explain to me why there are different rules for the RTA and different rules for the cops? Also is there anywhere online or otherwise where I can get the rules stating that exposed airpods are allowed, in writing, so that I can keep it in my glovebox? I'm specifically after NSW rules not VIC or anywhere else for that matter.

Told cop that i'm changing rego to ACT cause exposed pods are allowed there (and i have an ACT license), and he said that if he catches me in NSW even driving with an ACT plate, he will still defect it cause not allowed in NSW....hmmm these laws are a joke!

Would be good if it was clearer law wise what the actual rules are....but maybe it is better they are ambiguous cause knowing how out of touch law makers are, they would definitely make them illegal if they had it as an option cause it's all about supressing.......i doubt my 1.8L integra with a pod emits more co2 than their taxpayer funded V8's!!

Alexplicit
17-06-2010, 09:53 AM
Told cop that i'm changing rego to ACT cause exposed pods are allowed there (and i have an ACT license), and he said that if he catches me in NSW even driving with an ACT plate, he will still defect it cause not allowed in NSW....hmmm these laws are a joke!

would not have said that. lol. he is right he still can defect you.

Next time you could ask him to right you an EPA notice ask him to put the car over the proper pits. and if it passes there test then they give you a slip saying the car is not giving off harmful gasses thats what i have on my car. im allowed to drive with a pod filter. however if it fails your upshit creek. not really worth the 2 or 3 hp.

i have no idea where you would find what your asking for. i just remember that we never ever failed a car on blue slip or pink slip for pods because there was no issues.

if you want to work around it, leave your pod on and simply put a cover over it shielding it from the engine. the car will go better aswell.

Nepolian
17-06-2010, 03:00 PM

this is for NSW.

Alex

Alex you are right. But....Im sure the rta isnt driving around inspecting vehicles either! From epa and police perspective, im sure it also has something to do with for one noise and Im sure there would also be something in the ADRs in regards to this.

Simply put it, box it/hide it so it cant be seen thus eliminating any potential issues with police.

Alexplicit
17-06-2010, 04:53 PM
A

Simply put it, box it/hide it so it cant be seen thus eliminating and potential issues with police.

agree 100 percent

dougie_504
18-06-2010, 01:29 AM
Yeah just stock box with K&N performance panel filter, take of resonator, and use the hole on the bottom of the box (perfect size) to route some flex-pipe to your front bumper. DIY some holes in the black plastic grill, secure it, and you're set.