PDA

View Full Version : CD5 5th gear

mj3610
02-09-2006, 09:01 AM
hey guys
my 94 VTi kinda crunches when i put it in 5th gear, its not so much a cruch but a buzz/crunch that you get for example when u put ur car in reverse white it moving forward abit. i find that i have to put it in 5 th gear very gently and slower than usual for it not to do that, i cant just pop it in like changing 2nd to 3rd. does anyone else have this problem? what could it be?

poid
02-09-2006, 10:16 AM
its usually a bad synchro that does it, although its a bit wierd having it happen to 5th gear before the others

h22a accord
02-09-2006, 10:23 AM
ive got this problem sometimes in mine although im running a prelude gearbox. I find if you double clutch when engaging fifth it will not crunch.

mj3610
02-09-2006, 10:29 AM
its usually a bad synchro that does it, although its a bit wierd having it happen to 5th gear before the others
yeah thats what i thought, 2nd gear is what usually causes problems but its just weird how 5th gear is doing it. how cna i get this fixed?

poid
02-09-2006, 04:23 PM
have the synchro replaced is about the only way, or as Cam said double clutch when putting it in 5th to avoid the crunching (double clutching is effectively doing the job the synchro would normally do).

Means taking apart the gearbox, and you may as well do all the synchros at the same time. Or find a second hand box (which may or may not have a ****ed synchro as well so thats a lottery)