PDA

View Full Version : integra VTiR or FTO GPX?

zuihoujueding
02-09-2006, 12:11 PM
hi guys, if you have 15k. what would you choose?
integra VTiR or FTO GPX? and y?

panda[cRx]
02-09-2006, 12:19 PM
gto are rubbish performance wise. my mate has one.
i've driven it a few times and while it's not a TERRIBLE car it's certainly not my cup of tea. the only real good point for it is they seem to have pretty goodfuel economy

go the teg vtir, it's a better all round car with more aftermarket support both for performance and styling.

having said that take both for a drive and see which you prefer

.::F[L]Y::.
02-09-2006, 02:37 PM
']gto are rubbish performance wise. my mate has one.
i've driven it a few times and while it's not a TERRIBLE car it's certainly not my cup of tea. the only real good point for it is they seem to have pretty goodfuel economy

go the teg vtir, it's a better all round car with more aftermarket support both for performance and styling.

having said that take both for a drive and see which you prefer

good fuel economy? you gota be kidding.....V6 2.0L :eek:

I use to own an fto GPX, they are a nice car but the tiptronic model is an utter POS. if you are planning on buying one look at getting a manual, has abit more balls. Also ftos are also known to have some problems. Main issues are the AC units, power windows, stepper motor, engine mounts. Parts for this car arnt easy to find either.

I reckon your better off with the teg, much more reliable, more fun to drive and better on petrol. FTO is just too much hassle

destrukshn
02-09-2006, 02:39 PM
FTO's? nah.. utter crap. lol, mate had one.. full of problems, was a pansy driver as well, when i drove it, gave it hell, and went no where..
lol.

vit-r is much better car to drive.

that is only my opinion.

but check it out for yourself, and you will see the difference.
=)

DreadAngel
02-09-2006, 02:47 PM
FTO I like it a lot, I love the body and the interior is pretty good too!

Fuel wise its pretty expensive cause the GPX and GP-R wants to drink the 98 stuff ouch!

The engine is pretty good but compared to the B18C (ITR) and the 2ZZ-GE (Celica ZR), its only fair, I'd expect from the 6A12G, a 2L V6 to have more gutso but nah, pretty tamed. ..

The Manual Gearbox is beautiful, very very nice except the clutch is a little on the light side so its not that easy to get a smooth ride out of it, it takes a lot of getting use to...

Maintainence is a bitch because the FTO wasn't produced in vase numbers like the VTi-R and to date I don't know any interchange parts with any other model... Its kinda expensive too, check out www.ftoaustralia.com

SiR JDM
02-09-2006, 03:39 PM
unless its a GPR, take the teg

marcus
02-09-2006, 04:21 PM
get a skyline...lol..too many tegs liao

xtercii
02-09-2006, 04:48 PM
ask the same question on fto forum see what they say and then decide...

blk_shadow
02-09-2006, 09:24 PM
if you want look, go fto
if you want look, performance and availability parts for mods. go the teg!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

marcus
02-09-2006, 10:37 PM
yup true fto for looks

power, performancces and modifications teg

zuihoujueding
02-09-2006, 11:29 PM
ask the same question on fto forum see what they say and then decide...

haha, actually i expect to get all these replies. sad to say fto really have not much mods to play with. came out with such nice shape but the mitsu guys just cant be borthered to carry on with the rest of the bits! damn!

i must say the teg is not as good looking but its mods are unlimited! but hey, check out ftoaustralia and read what they replied to me:p

zuihoujueding
02-09-2006, 11:31 PM
get a skyline...lol..too many tegs liao

haha, cant stand one more teg in the carpark? i'll make sure i get a different color so u wont stick your keys on the wrong teg!;)

DreadAngel
03-09-2006, 01:05 AM
Actually, from the factory floor, the FTO is pushed to the max, so there is little work the tuners could do with it from a bolt-on perspective.

aaronng
03-09-2006, 01:45 AM
Have you read this site? http://www.mivec.co.uk/
It's the FTO UK owners club. Lots of good info and what to look out for when buying an FTO. And here is their forum: http://ftooc.org/phpbb/

Plus, the good ol' Autospeed FTO review: http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_0841/article.html (let me know if you can't view it. I saved a copy)

marcus
03-09-2006, 02:23 AM
haha, actually i expect to get all these replies. sad to say fto really have not much mods to play with. came out with such nice shape but the mitsu guys just cant be borthered to carry on with the rest of the bits! damn!

i must say the teg is not as good looking but its mods are unlimited! but hey, check out ftoaustralia and read what they replied to me:p

audm teg may nt be as nice looking at the fto..try the jdm teg...it cld be nicer and fiercer looking esp the dc5 with mugen bodykits

scottyj
03-09-2006, 10:29 PM
my mate used to have an fto with a simple pod filter etc.... and i thought it went pretty hard? i haven't ever driven a vtir teg... but would assume the fto would go heaps harder????

am i way off????

doesn't an fto have around 140-150? eg sim to a vtir lude

egSi
03-09-2006, 10:34 PM
imo a city is better than a fto.

fto = magna with uglier body :thumbdwn:

Limbo
04-09-2006, 09:48 AM
don't buy a 'bitsrmissing' aka 'bitsareshitty'.
NOooooooooooooo

quality of build has always been a prob with Mitsubishi just something to watch out for. Their engines just don't last as long

kj887
04-09-2006, 08:23 PM
of cos DC2 vti-r, the stock DC2 is lighter than FTO (GPX) due to the engine weight (FTO is V6 but DC2 is Straight 4), interior features and etc.

for me, both out looking are very nice, but i will still prefer DC2
- FTO is an import car
- DC2 is more potential to mod
- maintenance cost will be more cheaper than FTO
- 2.0 NA n 1.8 NA, not much different......
- 1.8 less fuel consumption
- Honda gear box is alway the best
- fully options, stock DC2 has sunroof, some have LSD, ABS

and the MAIN THING i choose DC2 vtir is - VERY RARE TO GET A MANUAL FTO (hard to find a manual and sunroof FTO in oz, i like sunroof...hehe)

Vinnie
05-09-2006, 02:22 PM
wat did u expect asking a 'shood i buy a honda or mitsubishi' question on a honda site... the gpx is a very nice looking car imo and has decent performance (mivec) to back it up but obviously the teg has its benefits as well (as outlined by many of the members here :p). go and find a good example of both and take them for a test drive and c wat u like the best, simple. :D

marcus
05-09-2006, 02:36 PM
this is a honda site...u shld ask about honda while fto shld ask at mitsu sites..and den compare urself if u are interested in getting

blk_shadow
06-09-2006, 06:34 AM
the thing is teg got VTEC YO!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

macoman69
06-09-2006, 10:22 AM
Well i got a Type R teg and my friend just bought a manual fto GPX.
I will tell you right now if its in good condition they actually go pretty hard cause even with an ITR he keeps up till 3 then the ITR starts to pull away.

If it where to go against a Vtir im sure it would piss all over it.

panda[cRx]
06-09-2006, 06:00 PM
i dunno if my mate had a freak of a car but he had fuel economy as good, if not better than many 4-cyl cars

and dude its only a 2L 6, it's not like a chev350 lol

Y::.']good fuel economy? you gota be kidding.....V6 2.0L :eek:

I use to own an fto GPX, they are a nice car but the tiptronic model is an utter POS. if you are planning on buying one look at getting a manual, has abit more balls. Also ftos are also known to have some problems. Main issues are the AC units, power windows, stepper motor, engine mounts. Parts for this car arnt easy to find either.

I reckon your better off with the teg, much more reliable, more fun to drive and better on petrol. FTO is just too much hassle

yourfather
06-09-2006, 06:09 PM
imo a city is better than a fto.

fto = magna with uglier body :thumbdwn:

I have a city, you're bringing it down to FTO's standards :((

yourfather
06-09-2006, 06:10 PM
I will tell you right now if its in good condition they actually go pretty hard cause even with an ITR he keeps up till 3 then the ITR starts to pull away.

cool, were you at Queensland raceway when you did this analysis?

Because, last time I checked, 2nd gear ends at about 100km/h, and going any faster on the streets could be considered street racing.

scottyj
06-09-2006, 08:54 PM
the thing is teg got VTEC YO!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

true... but the FTO has mivec, which is the same thing...

I will tell you right now if its in good condition they actually go pretty hard [ ... ]

again, i think i agree...

i know they are funny and people bag out mitsu's etc... im just saying that my friend's example looked pretty hot (had an awesome front bar on it) and it went hard... it felt faster and harder than my lude ('01 vtir atts)

IS250
07-09-2006, 10:15 AM
FTO! Jackie Chan drives an FTO, well in two of his movies he did lol.

The FTO won Japanese Car of the Year back in '94, that must mean something right?

Klayemore
07-09-2006, 10:24 AM
FTO's are the most gammin 'sports car' out there.

macoman69
07-09-2006, 10:32 AM
cool, were you at Queensland raceway when you did this analysis?

Because, last time I checked, 2nd gear ends at about 100km/h, and going any faster on the streets could be considered street racing.

Nah i was actually at willowbank

SO STOP MAKING STUPID ACCUSATIONS!

xtercii
07-09-2006, 11:18 AM
An auto fto is dead even with an auto 5th gen prelude with 2 ppl in the car and fto was not using sports shift.

DreadAngel
07-09-2006, 11:18 AM
I'm sure yourfather didn't know you were at willo man...

Jackie drove the FTO in Thunderbolt chasing that black R32 GT-R, full hecktic chase that one... Dunno bout the other movie but Jackie loves Mitsu...

marcus
07-09-2006, 11:20 AM
jackie loves mitsu but mitsu top cars are the gto and the lan evo...other den that the rest arent gd enough

IS250
07-09-2006, 11:52 AM
The other one was First Strike where he drives it off a ramp and onto the boat at the end.
He also seems to love Lamborghinis, well at least crushing them lol.

yourfather
07-09-2006, 04:17 PM
FTO! Jackie Chan drives an FTO, well in two of his movies he did lol.

The FTO won Japanese Car of the Year back in '94, that must mean something right?
Ford Telstar won Car of the year in 1986. lol so not usually a great indicator.

aaronng
07-09-2006, 04:32 PM
Back in 1986, the Ford Telstar was the goods. I had one. Telstar TX5. Would get one again. It shared the same instrument panel as an AE85 (digital model)

xtercii
07-09-2006, 04:33 PM
hahaaha telstar ghia was hectic..

marcus
07-09-2006, 04:40 PM
hmm....

IS250
07-09-2006, 04:56 PM

I thought they cancelled it for that year. But anyways, the Japanese market is a lot more competitive than the Australian market, better cars and more models. Obviously COTY is not the be all and end all, but it was the first sports car to win since the original MR2 so that's still quite impressive.

Tarks
07-09-2006, 07:03 PM
integ ftw

EuroDude
07-09-2006, 07:06 PM
Meh Mitsubishi is the poor mans japanese car. Get a reliable hoonda. teggy ftw :thumbsup:

cool_filo
11-09-2006, 11:33 PM
mivec just kicked in yo! so what did u end up buyin dude?

marcus
12-09-2006, 02:42 AM
yup wat did u end up buying??

Iwishiwasa Type R
12-09-2006, 07:15 PM
he bought a telstar

spetz
12-09-2006, 07:23 PM
If you plan to keep the cars stock or close to stock, I'd go the FTO
If you want to waste a lot of money then the Honda

And if it was a ITR I'd go Honda.

But the VTi-R doesn't look good, has a pretty bad interior, looks pretty dated etc
I think only once modified then DC2 is better

Oh, MIVEC sounds awesome too

marcus
12-09-2006, 09:28 PM
gosh every1 is recommending and have yet to hear from the buyer decision..

spetz
12-09-2006, 11:34 PM
http://www.justbajan.com/cars/photos/2006/050706_246show/car45.jpg

How can you not choose that over a DC2???
So hawt!

zerospel
13-09-2006, 03:04 AM
totally agree with spetz- if not planning to mod the car much Id go fto cos ull see dead end pretty quickly if u decide to fully mod the fto, and I recon its a nicer car interior and exterior wise, the seats are nice too :)

zuihoujueding
06-04-2009, 06:26 PM
Thread revived!
I have bought a manual '97 FTO GPX!!!!!!

Cvik_ryda
06-04-2009, 06:28 PM
gg took u 3 years to decided lol

aaronng
06-04-2009, 07:01 PM
Congrats. How do you find the GPX? Pulls hard?

mrwillz
06-04-2009, 07:16 PM
gg took u 3 years to decided lol

i think it was a REALLY hard decision

antO
06-04-2009, 07:42 PM
why dc2 when u can get a dc2r for 15k.

ROFL thread 3yrs old.
EPIC..

congrats on buy.

TONTON
06-04-2009, 07:53 PM
or dc2r for 10k lulz

maxleng
26-06-2009, 10:55 PM
i own a gpx too, good work haha

there is a HUGE difference between the GPX and GP-VR and the regualr GP and GR models. GPX and GP-VR both have MIVEC but the other two don't. IMO its not worth getting anything else but a mivec version unless you plan on turbo'ing it.

ive gotta say the V6 sounds ****ing tough esp in the high rev range (when mivec kicks in around 5.5k rpm man it ****ing screams) and this is with stock exhaust too.

as some one else mentioned, a manual gpx or gpvr will give a DC2R a good run for it's money. however gpx will definatley munch vtir's the v6 + mivec just out powers it.

However the DC2R is more of a purist's car, more track orientated and just over all has more attention to detail performance wise (such as hand made engine parts, thinner windows etc etc)

IMO the price difference between the two doesnt justify the DC2R. But i always have been a mitsi fanboy :D (would have got a an AWD GSR if it wasn't for gay p-plate laws, beast of a car)

anyway bit of a long post, post some pics up dude!

NightKids
26-06-2009, 11:13 PM
All that you could have just bought an EG with B18C2 and have the licence plates "FTOKLR"

GSi_PSi
27-06-2009, 02:33 AM
fto just turns me off because its shape is a wannabe supra

ChiLLie
13-08-2009, 11:06 PM
All that you could have just bought an EG with B18C2 and have the licence plates "FTOKLR"

LOL, nice...

anyone mention the fact that u pay more rego for a 2L 6 cyl car as opposed to a 2L 4 cyl car?

zuihoujueding
07-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Hello guys im back! lol...
did not realise i took 3years to make the decision! I was a student at that time so was still washing cars, working at 7-eleven to save a few bucks. Anyway, i know im in the wrong forum and probably will get flamed for this, but i just wana share my experience with you guys. Don't get me wrong, i owned a gen1 teg and i still love Honda!

I bought a scotia white 1997 maual FTO GPX with 80,000km on it. Purchase date is exactly 8/8/08 (China Olympics opening) lol.
Reason for buying the FTO: Always want one, got attracted to it styling even never driven one before. Price is within my budget and there is no other car of my interest within the price range so naturally the choice is clear.
Over the past nearly 2years of my ownership, I have my fair share of servicing like, timing belt replacements, tyres, struts, coolants, minor servicing.
I changed these, (water pump, assorted seals gaskets when doing timing belt) are not because they failed, they are more for preventive measures.

The only major upset I had with this car is laying it in the hands a dodgy mechanic workshop who did my timing belt. After spending over 1k on parts and labour, only to find out that oil is leaking badly after a few days and the mechanic denied everything, claiming it was some other fault. I asked to show me the old gaskets, but they threw everything away, asked to look at the receipts of the parts they have ordered for the FTO, they refused to show. Dodgy!

In case you ask what is the name of the workshop,

Anyway, everything is over now, I seemed to have finally found a reliable workshop and the FTO is now having a VRS kit service. Did a compression test and the pressure is still holding well. But to my horror, there are so much sludge inside the cams area. This shows the previous owner have not been taking good care of it. I myself have been doing oil change and filter by myself between 5000-7000km with quality oil so I don’t think I was at fault.
It looks clean now, after hours of scrubbing, wiping and degreasing. Heads will be skimmed and the FTO will be revived by this Friday. It should free up some hp after this service.

FYI, my current mods are very mild, just Simota CAI and xforce exhaust. The FTO does not have a lot of torque at low rev, so I have to rev it to get any decent hp out of it. Many times other drivers thought I want to race them, but im just revving as normal. lol

So to summarize my experience with the FTO, is a mix feeling. I love the way it looks, the way it drives and handle, the way it attracts attention, the sound of mivec. But it really requires rigorous servicing to keep it at top condition, mainly because of its age.

Lesson learnt, use full synthetic oil and good filters. Don’t even settle for semi syn. The last longer, less sludge build-up, better protection, better additive. You will agree with me when you open up your cam covers.
Peace out!