PDA

View Full Version : strut tower and tie bar

NSPYRE
02-09-2006, 07:00 PM
hey guys, as we all kno, front wheel drive handling sucks and i was considering purchasing a set of front and rear strut tower bar's and tie bar's for my DA9. i would just like to kno if these would make any worthwhile noticable difference to handling?

also, what would be better:

1) front and rear strut tower bar's and tie bar's

2) rear sway-bar

*note: sway bar costs around 20% - 25% more than strut tower bar and tie bar set.

thanks for your help...

Spunkymonkey
02-09-2006, 07:13 PM
rear swaybar would be more beneficial first, or rear sway/tie bar combo.

FR33K
02-09-2006, 07:13 PM
definately swaybar is the way to go
should pick one up for about 230ish for a whiteline 18mm

VTi_b0i
02-09-2006, 07:30 PM
yeahh i got sway bar 1st too and i think it was a good improvement...

SKREMN
02-09-2006, 11:54 PM
I got rear sway bar and front strut brace

spend the money on good spring/shock combo firstly if you have got this then get the rest
i dont find the rear needs a strut brace it will make it too stiff and swing around my car allready does this

hui
03-09-2006, 12:04 AM
got cusco rear strut tower bar today:p
IMO, if your gonna pay 2xx.00 for whiteline rear swaybar, might as well get jap one's. i just got quoted today only 20.00 difference between whiteline and cusco.

Spunkymonkey
03-09-2006, 02:28 PM
I'm paying for not getting rear sway first....coilovers first, and already had existing strut tower bars.. got the rear lower tie on now, will get the rear sway fitted soon.

Found that I was getting a wee bit too tail happy at times, but definitely feeling more stable already with the lower tie bar....should be sweet once the rear sway is on.

NSPYRE
04-09-2006, 06:50 PM
so wats the best option in reducing under-steer?

Mr_will
04-09-2006, 07:39 PM
front wheel drive handling does not suck, thats a pretty silly thing to say.

i wouldnt even consider getting tower braces until you have new rear swaybar/tiebar, shocks and springs. front tower bars are super for reducing oversteer, and thus until you have good gear elsehwhere as i have mentioned, utterly pointless

EKVTIR-T
04-09-2006, 07:45 PM
^^So its better to fit hard shock/springs or coilovers to a flexing body???NO.Sways and stiff body then suspension last me thinks..

Mr_will
04-09-2006, 07:56 PM
^^So its better to fit hard shock/springs or coilovers to a flexing body???NO.Sways and stiff body then suspension last me thinks..

i was suggesting swaybar and rear tie bar first...obviously you failed to read that correctly.

EKVTIR-T
04-09-2006, 08:02 PM

i wouldnt even consider getting tower braces until you have new rear swaybar/tiebar, shocks and springs. front tower bars are super for reducing oversteer, and thus until you have good gear elsehwhere as i have mentioned, utterly pointless

Mr_will
04-09-2006, 08:06 PM

EKVTIR-T
04-09-2006, 08:10 PM
so front tower is "super" but utterly pointless with no other mods.Oh please....

Mr_will
04-09-2006, 08:12 PM
so front tower is "super" but utterly pointless with no other mods.Oh please....

i clearly said it was 'super for reducing oversteer', with my point being that oversteer in a fwd is not very common. ( except if you are silly enough to quickly back off throttle mid corner. )

NSPYRE
04-09-2006, 08:35 PM
front wheel drive handling does not suck, thats a pretty silly thing to say...

well, think of comparison to the other options. AWD and RWD. AWD owns all in handling, it just glues to the road. rear wheel drive i believe is steadier and you can accomplish sharper turns with a higher speed as opposed to FWD. if u happen to hav something go wrong, u can swing the back round in a RWD and have all the damage done to the back where although it will demolish ur car, it will protect something much more important: yourself. in FWD, if something goes wrong, ur stuffed. ur drive wheels are ur turning wheels. u lose grip with ur front wheels, u've lost all possible control.

imagine all the stress a FWD car is under. first, the engine is in the front, the drive wheels are the front and u also turn with ur front wheels. to top it off, under heavy breaking, all the weight is transferred to the front. now, u cant honestly tell me that FWD handling in comparison to RWD and AWD does not suck

huynh12345
09-09-2006, 05:31 AM
lols i fabricated my rear strut brace lols

euro69
13-09-2006, 08:23 PM
i suggest u get the front strut and rear swaybar first....

cheers

bennjamin
13-09-2006, 08:36 PM
For a FWD car ( any FWD car) get a thicker rear swaybar. Thats all you need for a better handling package. Everything else is a minor change or improvement.

egSi
13-09-2006, 09:34 PM
For a FWD car ( any FWD car) get a thicker rear swaybar. Thats all you need for a better handling package. Everything else is a minor change or improvement.

^^^ :thumbsup:

whiteline is a quality product. they tested our cars with their stuff in australia for australia. just coz its japanese made doesnt mean its the ultimate.

22mm rear swaybar + civic = :thumbsup: :D

string
13-09-2006, 11:23 PM
For the DA application, if you feel like going larger than the 18mm rear bar that whiteline sell, get their DC2 (non type-r) kit. It bolts up fine after you drill a couple of holes where the DC2 sway bar would normally mount (i.e. beaks style location).

Uncouth
25-09-2006, 10:56 PM
Driving a EG hatch D15b4 with 2.25in from header to the cannon. with 15in rims 195 tyres. Installed the front strut bar and have been thinking about getting the rear lower strut(is that what it is called) soon. But still puzzled about the difference between the tie bar, strut bar etc. currently the car corners well but i know it would be better with the rear bar thingy. Anyone can enlighten me?? and what thickness should i go for?

Zdster
25-09-2006, 11:22 PM
Driving a EG hatch D15b4 with 2.25in from header to the cannon. with 15in rims 195 tyres. Installed the front strut bar and have been thinking about getting the rear lower strut(is that what it is called) soon. But still puzzled about the difference between the tie bar, strut bar etc. currently the car corners well but i know it would be better with the rear bar thingy. Anyone can enlighten me?? and what thickness should i go for?

Start here:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question432.htm

also check out:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=322&highlight=sway

Other than the front strut, do you have any other bars? If no, then I would be going for a rear upper strut (to link the tops of the rear suspension together) as well as a rear lower tie bar (links the lower control arms - ie like an upper strut) and sway bar.