PDA

View Full Version : EG4 overheating...every now and then???

Chris S15
03-09-2006, 09:45 AM
Hi All,
After fixing all the other problems i had, my car has decided it wants to hold its breathe and over heat....:thumbdwn:

Just normal driving, temp will raise just below the red. i turn the heater on to reduce the temp (which works).

What's weird is that it isn't consistant. Same driving, same trip, nothing, the next day, it'll heat up.

i've been checking the coolant, the bottle sometimes empties..then when i check again..it's absolutely full! :confused:

i've been checking my oil...and it's not as dark and sticky as oil should be. looks thinner and lighter....:eek: i have a feeling that coolant may be getting into the oil somehow? :confused:

should i remove the spark plugs to see if there's coolant in the cylinders?

My fan works fine, operates when it should. Radiator seems fine.

HELP!!!!!!
:( :( :( :( :(

fatboyz39
03-09-2006, 10:02 AM
do a compression check and leak down test. That'll show your problem.

bigjo5
03-09-2006, 10:36 AM
well if u were driving and the temperature went up could be ur thermostat half stuck open? and not fully opening which isnt letting water circulate or.. could be ur radiators blocked .. just check them two things out...

egSi
03-09-2006, 11:14 AM
is your head gasket leaking/weeping?

fatboyz39
03-09-2006, 01:02 PM
also check u hav enuff coolant in the system :)

marte
03-09-2006, 02:52 PM
take the thermo stat out and boil some hot water
put the thermo in for abit and see if it opens up.
i had a problem similiar a whlie ago. ended up being my coolent bottle.

edit: half the sentance was missing

aaronng
03-09-2006, 03:24 PM
Always get an original honda thermostat. When it fails, it fails open so your engine won't overheat if it happens.

Also, have you checked if you have air bubbles in your cooland system? Squeeze the 2 radiator hoses to see if the radiator fluid level jumps. If it doesn't, top it up.

Chris S15
06-09-2006, 06:29 PM
is your head gasket leaking/weeping?

What are the signs and symptoms i should look for?

Chris S15
06-09-2006, 06:31 PM
also check u hav enuff coolant in the system :)

i check it just after driving to work (very very full bottle)

and i check it before driving to work in the morning (radiator a bit empty, bottle completely empty)
:eek: :confused:

Chris S15
06-09-2006, 06:32 PM
take the thermo stat out and boil some hot water
put the thermo in for abit and see if it opens up.
i had a problem similiar a whlie ago. ended up being my coolent bottle.

edit: half the sentance was missing

umm..where do i find the 'thermostat'?

Chris S15
06-09-2006, 06:36 PM
Always get an original honda thermostat. When it fails, it fails open so your engine won't overheat if it happens.

Also, have you checked if you have air bubbles in your cooland system? Squeeze the 2 radiator hoses to see if the radiator fluid level jumps. If it doesn't, top it up.

I squeezed both hoses and the coolant level rises.

If i leave the radiator cap off and start the car, should i be able to see the coolant flow? coz at the moment, it starts to build up and then over flow out the top.

aaronng
06-09-2006, 07:28 PM
I squeezed both hoses and the coolant level rises.

If i leave the radiator cap off and start the car, should i be able to see the coolant flow? coz at the moment, it starts to build up and then over flow out the top.
Start the car with the cap on but loose. After a few minutes, turn the engine off and check if the level rises when you squeeze the hoses. If it doesn't, then keep topping it up.

Your full coolant at night and empty in the morning is weird. That's backwards. LOL. But I think you have a vapourlock in your coolant system.

VTC-8OY
06-09-2006, 08:40 PM
i have same problem... mite be ur head gasket... well mine is anyway

aaronng
06-09-2006, 09:02 PM
After driving and you get home and turn your engine off, take off the engine oil cap and take a pic inside using the flash to show us. You can tell if there is coolant in the engine oil.

bigjo5
06-09-2006, 09:11 PM
After driving and you get home and turn your engine off, take off the engine oil cap and take a pic inside using the flash to show us. You can tell if there is coolant in the engine oil.

yeh when u look under the cap it shuld look like its choclate milkshake under the cap instead of oil.

egSi
06-09-2006, 11:02 PM
What are the signs and symptoms i should look for?

the front off the block will have oil on it OR appear to be 'wet' behind the manifold up front(exhaust)
near where the motor ID is stamped on. if its leakin youll know easy enough. i hope its NOT thats coz it can be costly if u dont know how to diy.

Paul1985
06-09-2006, 11:04 PM
if it were a headgasket im sure that you would have noticed by now, there would be other problems.

aarong's ideas are spot on.
could be a bad thermostat, might be worth swapping.

mj3610
07-09-2006, 04:17 PM
its most likely your thermostat. if you dont know where it is then dont do a DIY, just get it replaced for around $100 part + labour. :)

marte
07-09-2006, 04:21 PM
100 for a thermo. man are you nuts o.O

mj3610
07-09-2006, 04:54 PM
midas charged me $110 for my EG4 last year.

aaronng
07-09-2006, 05:05 PM
DIY ftw! There is even a DIY written up for the thermostat replacement. Fun way to spend time and you'll feel satisfied after fixing it yourself.

Limbo
07-09-2006, 05:41 PM
mat it paid like $18 for a geniune toyota themostat just last week.

There is only 2 bolts on the thermostat anyway.

He's the trick, goto honda, ask them for the thermostat, get them to show you a pick of it on your car, so that you know where it is, and should be 2 bolts. Just rem you need coolant also, they should be able to tell you how much for your car. Make sure you flush the current coolant with lots of water to get rid of any buildup (do this 2-3 time until the drainage is clear). There is a wing bolt at the bottom of your radiator (on passanger side usually).

P.S if your head gasket is leaking your coolant will have funny brown stuff in it and look odd. If that is the case a mechanic would be a good option.

marte
08-09-2006, 02:01 AM
thermo stats cost like 10 bucks so OEM thermo stats cost abit more but not 100. You musta got something else then jsut a thermo for 100 o.O lol was it a spoon thermo stat haha

Pokiou
08-09-2006, 10:54 AM
Generally the main problem i find with overheating cars is that people draing the water and put water back int he radiator and dont bleed the air in.

so depending on what ending you have there is a vavle that you can undo to release the air in the engines water system.

that helped my crx.

Other then that. you might have to much coolant over water or a blown head gasket.

but i put my money on the air in the radiator.