PDA

View Full Version : intake manifold + throttle body queries

panda[cRx]
03-09-2006, 04:03 PM
ok a few quick queries as a few forum and google searches didnt really come up with what i'm after

basically i'd like to know the optiman throttle body diameters for different setups. now obviously most cars have different setups but i'm after a rough guide of whats an ok size, whats too big for different setups

ie. best tb diameter for

relatively stock B-series: ??
moderately modified NA B-series: ??
highly modified NA B-series: ??
low boost B-series: ??
high boost B-series: ??

now to the intake manifold side of things....
i've noticed some aftermarket intake manifold such as edelbrock have features secondary fuel rails etc.
at which stage are these beneficial and at which stages are these overkill/unnecessary?

i've seen TB's with diameters up to 70mm, i take it most intake manifolds aren't this large... i guess you would need to bore the intake up to 70mm to match the TB?

hmmm thats all the things i can remember that i wanted to ask for now lol

SKREMN
03-09-2006, 04:29 PM
i got a 70mm on my b20 and it matches up to the BBK manifold i got its in size simular to an elenbrock manifold, this has a 70mm opening to didnt need to match then just bolted up
but i have got an NA set up and would prolly be better off with a 68mm and smaller intake manifold

panda[cRx]
03-09-2006, 04:37 PM
thanks mate, that is the kinda response i'm after i guess.

i've seen the 70mm TB's from various manufacturers and thought while they seem cool it might be a bit too big.

basically i know a few people at various stages builing up b16a + b18c however are unsure on which TB to go for, or whether to wait until they've done the rest of their build.
would it be safe to say 68mm is suitable for an 'in progess' build? ie. be ok with minimal mods but also be suitable once the pistons, cams etc etc have all been fitted?

Slow96GSR
03-09-2006, 05:20 PM
Book time guys!!!

Edelbrock sits at a throttle body opening of 66mm and comes with
EVERYTHING to install, hoses, wires, clamps, plugs and extra vacuum hose and connectors. They have a 65mm, 70mm, and 75mm throttle bodies which come with new TPS sensors. Average retail price range is, $320USD for the 65mm, $290USD for the 70mm, and $292USD for the 75mm. The manifold for a B-Series is $335USD with out fuel rail upgrade and $395USD with fuel rail upgrade. Then shipping.

Skunk2 has a single Cam inlet 62mm and a double cam inlet of 64mm. No fuel rail upgrade made. Cost $300USD. The throttle bodies are 60mm, 66mm, 68mm, and 70mm that do not come with the TPS Sensors. The smaller 3 are $250USD and the 70mm is $350USD plus shipping.

Edelbrock and S2 are both made for N/A and turbo but the Edelbrock can have a second set of injectors. This is helpful if you have the ability to control them, like for low rpm/boost on street/track cars for daily driving and racing with out swapping injectors. Edelbrock T.B.'s come pre calibrated with TPS and butterfly valve adjusted. S2 has no TPS and the butterfly valve is adjusted.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/sport_compact/index.html

"Optimized for maximum power from 7,000 to 10,000 RPM, the Victor X manifold is designed for turbo and all-motor applications. Engineered for high performance and race set-ups, this manifold has four additional bosses for nitrous or added fuel injectors. Match with the Edelbrock 65mm throttle body for maximum power. Also available with four extra machined injector bosses and a matching machined extruded aluminum fuel rail. Injectors and wiring sold separately."

and

65mm:
"Designed by Edelbrock, these direct bolt-on throttle bodies come complete with a new throttle position sensor and bore area that’s 25% larger than stock for increased performance. Edelbrock street legal throttle bodies bolt directly to the stock manifold with mounts for stock sensors and vacuum lines. They are the racers choice for accurately controlling airflow into the Edelbrock Victor X manifold but are also engineered to work perfectly on an OE intake. The large bore area is capable of enough airflow to supply full tilt alcohol and turbocharged drag engines making upwards of 800 hp. 50-state street legal (E.O. #D-215-48)."

70-75mm:
"Victor 70mm and 75mm race throttle bodies can be easily adapted to a wide variety of applications. We eliminated the idle air motor mount and all unnecessary vacuum tubes, making these throttle bodies especially well suited for racing applications. The throttle arm has a cable wheel with multiple take-off points. They are cast and fully machined by Edelbrock, then assembled by Magneti Marelli USA. Shipped complete and ready to run with a throttle position sensor installed and pre-set, these throttle bodies can be adapted to a number of applications using our 1/2" thick spacer/adapters. Intake port matching may be required in some cases. Matching Spacer/Adapter required for mounting to manifolds with stock throttle body bolt pattern."

http://www.skunk2.com/

"The most restrictive part of any induction system is the factory intake manifold. Knowing this, Skunk2 Racing went to great lengths to design and manufacture an appropriate aftermarket replacement. Skunk2 Racing manifolds are designed to maximize flow as well as increase the effects of wave scavenging at each engine's key operating RPM range. Each manifold is designed to use all the stock sensors and auxiliaries.

Some key features:

- Single-stage intake manifold design
- Significant mid to high range power gains
- CARB EO-pending
- Factory throttle body may be reused
- Utilizes all factory sensors
- Larger plenum and runners to optimize
horsepower
- Single Cam inlet 62mm, Double - 64mm"

and

"The Skunk2 Pro Series Billet Throttle Body is engineered to increase airflow resulting in increased horsepower and torque. Hard anodized to help prevent throttle plate from binding and to improve durability. Available from 60mm to 70mm."

VTi_b0i
03-09-2006, 05:52 PM
awsome response MR slow96gsr :p
+rep

panda[cRx]
03-09-2006, 06:04 PM
i :love: Slow96GSR

egSi
03-09-2006, 10:13 PM
what bout these loz?

http://undergroundimports.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/air_intake.bmp

and