PDA

View Full Version : Clutch or Diff? Hard to take off smooth..

silver_s2k
03-09-2006, 06:17 PM
Hi all,

got an 00 model with 100,000kms on it, full service history 1 owner. As far as i know it has the original clutch when purchased cause i have all the hist on it. I went to the drags on friday nite and did a few 6k launches, got a oem clutch cause i have the buzz. Hit a 14.5/14.6/14.6 & 14.4 Then i smelt a lot of clutch burn in the cabin, so i stopped my runs. I never rode the clutch at all just dumped it off the line. Now the car feels it needs a few more extra revs 2.5k - 3.5k to take off smooth. It's feels a bit rough to take off, and jolty, but less noticeable when taking off downhill. Wasn't like that before. But theres no slippage yet. I have done damage, but where? I notice a very slight whine from the rear end that gets a little louder with speed and whines even if in nuetral. I am confused to whether its my diff thats making it hard to take off or my clutch?? or both? i can change into grar at 9k no probs, just feels rough

Also, can my clutch be stuffed even if it doesn't slip atm?

WhiteAP1
03-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Ure clutch isnt so much stuffed, most likey its heated/worn away in one specific spot due to the launches. Do u get a bit of shuttering on take off, how does the car behave when u only use the clutch to roll.

If it is what i think it is, then its just a bit of un-even wear on the disc,due to one specific part (or many) heating up and wearing unevenly, hence the smell. Also the fact that u have to rev higher to take off is a good indication of this. Its like a break disc, if its warped or has an uneven contact surface, when the pads hit it u get shutter or feedback. Depending on how bad it is (considering its not slipping u should be fine) it will just take a bit of time for the disc to wear smooth/even again, just keep driving and that will happen.

Unless the clutch is slipping u really have nothing to worry about it, might just wanna take it easy for a bit,until it improves. Just keep an eye on it

Odd noises are common with our cars, if u had diff problems it would be alot more obvious. Ive had the whining noise since i got the car 2yrs ago, havnt had a problem with it.

Well done on ure ET, very respectable for a stock car.

silver_s2k
03-09-2006, 11:08 PM
thanks for the info WHITEAP1,

I'll keep drivin, and see what happens.

The car rolls fine in 1st and 2nd, so i guess your probably right.

WhiteAP1
04-09-2006, 01:35 PM
Also changing the fluids might not be a bad idea.

jko2
07-09-2006, 08:26 PM
If you're getting a whining noise from the back, it would be your diff. The stock diff is pretty weak, (i've had to replace mine), clutch dumps would really knack it. Put in a very rough clutch, then say bye bye to the diff very soon.
however it's a good opportunity to replace it with a kaaz 1.5way mechanic lsd with higher final drive. I did it and love it, the kaaz lsd is extremely quick to react, makes a world of difference when pushign the car - especially in the wet, minimises the snap oversteer probllem i had.

WhiteAP1
07-09-2006, 08:36 PM
Jas remeber the sounds ure diff was making and how it was making noise everytime u took a corner. Dont get me wrong uve got a sweet diff set up now, but a slight whine, in neutral, isnt a sign his diffs on the brink.

jko2
07-09-2006, 10:04 PM
yeah you're probably right, however mine diff was definately rooted, stopped turning properly, and making knocking noises.. :)

silver_s2k
08-09-2006, 11:11 AM
yeah you're probably right, however mine diff was definately rooted, stopped turning properly, and making knocking noises.. :)
my diff whine is only noticeable @ 100+ kmph and can oly be herd when the radio is turned off.

My clutch is feelin alot better already. I'd say it has a fair few more km's in it (so long as no hard launches).

Where did you purchase your diff from and was it pricey?

WhiteAP1
08-09-2006, 05:47 PM
U can get a KAAZ 1.5 way LSD for about $1050-1300 depending where u go. I wouldnt go the 2 way,cars tail happy as it is. U can also get ring and pinion replacments from J's racing,Ricks and Richmond gears, but remeber there just using gears sets, straight from Kia and Mazda, there just charging double. Depending on the ratio u want,will depend where u get it from. Got mine from Kia ;)

IMO the standard LSD is fine,id only replace or upgrade if the OEM was stuffed. ATM ure diff sounds like its OK

silver_s2k
11-09-2006, 06:24 PM
U can get a KAAZ 1.5 way LSD for about $1050-1300 depending where u go. I wouldnt go the 2 way,cars tail happy as it is. U can also get ring and pinion replacments from J's racing,Ricks and Richmond gears, but remeber there just using gears sets, straight from Kia and Mazda, there just charging double. Depending on the ratio u want,will depend where u get it from. Got mine from Kia ;)

IMO the standard LSD is fine,id only replace or upgrade if the OEM was stuffed. ATM ure diff sounds like its OK

Cool, thanks for the advice. What ratio are the Kia ones?

Btw, do you have a cousin named phil with a CRX? I think i remember you @ a cruise a few years ago. I was in a Black rolla sportivo..

WhiteAP1
11-09-2006, 09:45 PM
LOL yeah i remeber ya, Saw Phil this weekend, and the funny thing he told me u bought a silver s2k. Freaky. Yeah i remember our criuse, i had just got the car,still learning to drive manual,funny shit.

The ratio for the Kia is 4.625, picked it up the other day, its getting cryo treated ATM. Theres also a 4.44 from mazda if the Kias to high for ya, i think its from the mx5. Have a search,if ya cant find anything i'll post the links.

11-09-2006, 10:52 PM
You got some balls doing 6K dumps. i used to hipe myself up to doing a 6k dump, but always chickened out. i was more comfortable with a quick take off and double clutching it. No rear end bangs.....
My thought are, you have a burnt clutch or hot spot on your hands. My first S2K used to do the same thing until i changed the clutch (hard at taking off). 99-01 S2k are known for weak clutch pads and were upgraded in 02 models.