PDA

View Full Version : honda accord and civ - 400m performance

birdie
04-09-2006, 10:12 AM
I currently own a 97 toyota corolla seca, not exactly a power plant... :P

At the end of the year i am looking to upgrade to a newer bit larger (especially boot room (for sound system :P)) and more powerful car.

I'm considering a few options, a current model corolla sedan with a supercharger kit from my mate (Raptor Superchargers (http://www.raptorsc.com.au)), options i'm considering is possibly a civic sedan (around 2000 model), an accord (probably V6 for more torque) and either of them superchargered or turbo'd too :P

So I am considering about a 2000 model accord, what do the V6's (autos only right? :() and what about the 4cyls? you can get manuals in them right? do down the 1/4 standard? Also how strong are the motor, ie how much boost pressure will the take standard?

What ever car i get i'd like to get it down to about low 14s down the 1/4 or so. Edit: -SNIP- aaronng

Or would a civic sedan (2000ish)) be a better car to start with? (its a bit smaller though :o )

krogoth
06-09-2006, 01:50 PM
lol, mate, i advise u get rid of the reference to the traffic light drags

we at ozhonda dont do such things......lol

as for getting ur accord to pull low 14z on the 1/4 mile(in a drag strip), u shoodnt have trouble to get the 4cyl 2.4L vtec accord to do that without having to turbo or supercharge it, IMO

get the exhaust done, and some new extractors, a CAI, blah blah, all the usual bits and pieces and I rekon you should be able to pull of around 14.5

some1 else can confirm, i think there are a couple of accords with the h22a and manual stok? but i think theyr rare. and the 4cyl accords do come in manual diffenetley

as for the civic, wat 2000 model are u thinking? if its something like an em1, youll have no prob getting low 14z with basic mods, itll b a fast car and fuel efficient

dont bother with the corolla, not as good build quality and handling, IMO, although i may be biased

anymore advice about future mods, have a look in the stickies in each section, they are very useful and can answer alot of basic and difficult questions u may have

herez a useful thread: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41413

EDIT: added link and fixed some grammar, lol

aaronng
06-09-2006, 02:41 PM
You're not going to get an Accord down the 1/4 strip at 14.5 without an ecu remap. And that's for the 03-06 Accord Euro. The normal Accord 4-cyl won't have a chance to break 15 at all. If you are going forced induction, then choose the model with an engine that has full aftermarket parts and ECU support.

And the only 2000 civic that will hang on to the current model corolla is the Vi hatch (2001-2005 corolla still has a 4kW/16Nm advantage as well as DOHC)

And yes, no street racing references on ozhonda.

krogoth
06-09-2006, 03:04 PM
^^ah, ECU remap

thats wat i forgot

ahh well, look in the stickies

SiReal
06-09-2006, 03:30 PM
So I am considering about a 2000 model accord, what do the V6's (autos only right? :() and what about the 4cyls? you can get manuals in them right? do down the 1/4 standard? Also how strong are the motor, ie how much boost pressure will the take standard?

V6 - Auto only, 4cyl both auto and manual but more can be found in auto. CHECK THE GEARBOX before you buy. The Auto gerbox is a POS and has problems, but if u find one that has been serviced reguraly WITH honda fluids, then it should be A OK!

As for speed? Well quoted on an american forum, a manual 4cyl CG/CK/6th gen accord (1998 - 2002) with basic breathing mods is just as quick as an auto V6 stock. So they're aren't slow but they aren't quick.

As for boost, no idea. check out v6performance.net for all your 6th gen accord needs.

My impressions. great car but definately not for the spirited driver. with some sussy upgrades, it handles quite well (comparatively). Interior is large and comfy, fuel consumption isn't great but its better than the local variants.

birdie
06-09-2006, 03:32 PM
i am talking about the previous model accord (not the latest accord or accord euro (even though they are damn sexy, just too expensive)).

And with the civic, i want a sedan... the hatch's look smaller then my current corolla? And I prefer the looks of the sedan.

It doesn't have to do a 14.x standard, just as long as the motor is strong enough to handle 8-10psi of boost so that i can turbo or supercharge it... and then get it down that way...

so krogoth you recon i could get one of the previous accord 4cyls in manual form down to 14s pretty easy?

krogoth
06-09-2006, 03:38 PM
lol, man, thats just wat i reckon

but the accord king, sireal is here, and if he sez its hard, then its prob hard

but still, as aarong said, ecu re-map, or just get a new after market ecu, have it properly tuned for performance use, new extractors, high flow cat, 2.25" piping the whole way, a good CAI setup, and itll be pretty fast

mid to high 14z i reckon, but i dunno man, these are just my opinions and predictions

aaronng
06-09-2006, 03:47 PM
I don't think there is an ecu remap for the F23. You could do s100 or k-pro and get a tuner to map out timings and fuel maps. Not cheap though.

krogoth
06-09-2006, 03:53 PM
^not cheap, yes but it will achieve results

wat aarong is talking bout is prob gona cost $$$$

u mite as well buy a DC2R

SiReal
06-09-2006, 04:02 PM
but the accord king, sireal is here, and if he sez its hard, then its prob hard

gee shucks man! Aaronng's knowledge far surpasses mine! But I feel so very humbled :o

SiReal
06-09-2006, 04:07 PM
Just to add some more info, turbo + supercharge can be had on an auto provided to have the tranny upgraded. theres a famous tranny group called Dr.Evil that basically strengthen the internals of the tranny. Its in the states however, and costs USD$3500. Most ppl then do a ECU piggyback.

Common/popular brand of supercharger is the comptech supercharger.

also, in terms of exhaust, they usually stick to a 2.25 or 2.5 " sized exhaust.

They also upgrade their pulleys (but dont bother with that)

The Accord isnt quick and was never meant to be quick in a straight line but I would suggest to have some basic breathing mods, and upgrade the sussy for excellent cornering, and with a bit of driver intuiition and skill, i'm sure you would be able to outhandle a straightline car in the bends.

aaronng
06-09-2006, 04:10 PM
gee shucks man! Aaronng's knowledge far surpasses mine! But I feel so very humbled :o
I do K series, you do F series. :thumbsup:

krogoth
06-09-2006, 06:43 PM

i bow to thy lord

wheres the stick figure bowing?

Vinnie
06-09-2006, 11:13 PM
very non ozhonda answer here but its gonna cost u alot of money and be quite a bit of work to get a non-performance car (ie. accord) to do wat u seem to want it to. i wood be considering options that dont require after-market forced induction such as the toyota chaser or nissan infinity or even a 4 door skyline... accords, as good as they are, were built more as a luxury car and therefore not designed to be modified in this manner so making them fast is not easy... in any case tho its a step up from ur 'rolla :p and i hope u end up with wat ur looking for :)