PDA

View Full Version : Overfilled my oil

Moya
04-09-2006, 04:29 PM
I did a service on my car last night, new oil filter and Motil 4100 (15w50).

However, when I filled her up I think I used a bit too much oil. On my dipstick, it's got the 2 holes. I assume, I'm meant to fill it up so its above the bottom hole, but almost touching the top hole without going over.

I went over by about 4mm.

What does this mean? Is it bad?

Also, what should I do with my old engine oil? Anyone I can give it to? ATM it's still sitting in my catch can.

I'm not a tree hugging hippie, but I dont want to damage the environment so down the drain isnt an option.

Thanks

JasonGilholme
04-09-2006, 04:49 PM
Store your old oil in milk bottles and take it down to your closes oil dumpage centre. I think you can use some government site to find out where the closest one to you is.

As for how much oil is in there.....did you start the car a bit before you checked the dip stick to fill up the oil fitler??? You need to fill the oil filter up before you measure how much oil is in the pan. That way you get an accurate reading.

5 - 50w!?!?! Thats a bit thick isn't it?? What engine you got? I've got b16a and I'm running 5 - 30w....

EK4R
04-09-2006, 05:28 PM
huh? i thought u meant to fill it up to the 2nd hole. alil over wont be a problem i dont think. once the engine is warn it just uses most up.

EuroDude
04-09-2006, 06:42 PM
You are supposed to fill it up to the top hole.
The top hole indicates the Maximum oil level.
The bottom hole indicates the Minimum oil level.

Even if you do fill the oil above the top hole, the engine should still be fine if its only a bit over the top hole. If you overfill it quite considerably, then you just drain out some of the oil and clean the spark plugs, and it should be ok hopefully.
~ I put in around 5L in my 3.5L civic (when I was a n00b lol) and the car smoked and stuttered big time, and would not start when I stopped the engine. But after draining the oil and cleaning the sparkies, it was back to normal.

:honda:

bigjo5
04-09-2006, 06:51 PM
5 - 50w!?!?! Thats a bit thick isn't it?? What engine you got? I've got b16a and I'm running 5 - 30w....

15-50 isnt thick .. thats for normal cars.. or 10-40 ... but 5-30 thats little to thin for a b16a since they arnt even that new... usually the new new cars use 10-40 or lower....

just drain out the oil then put ur new filter in .. and fill it up to the second dot.. the one on the top and start ur car..for like a couple minutes and then turn off ur car u shuld notice the oils gone down couple mm then just top it up back to the dot.. and ur set....

edit: btw a couple of mm over the max dot "top dot" wouldnt do nothing.. you'll just burn that off slowly.. prolly couple days or so..

JasonGilholme
04-09-2006, 06:54 PM
15-50 isnt thick .. thats for normal cars.. or 10-40 ... but 5-30 thats little to thin for a b16a since they arnt even that new... usually the new new cars use 10-40 or lower....

just drain out the oil then put ur new filter in .. and fill it up to the second dot.. the one on the top and start ur car..for like a couple minutes and then turn off ur car u shuld notice the oils gone down couple mm then just top it up back to the dot.. and ur set....

edit: btw a couple of mm over the max dot "top dot" wouldnt do nothing.. you'll just burn that off slowly.. prolly couple days or so..

Its what my manual reccommends so thats what i use.

aaronng
04-09-2006, 06:55 PM
If you drained your oil, changed the filter, and then filled up to 4mm above the top dot, you'll be alright. When you start the engine, the oil will circulate and fill the galleries and oil filter, dropping the level.

Have you checked the level after idling the engine for a while?

aaronng
04-09-2006, 06:58 PM

New Honda engines (B, H and K series) are spec'd to run 10w-30. In the US, it's 5w-30 because of their cold winters. An older engine with leaky seals would run 5/10w-40 or 5/10w-50.

15w-50, that's alright during summer but when it's winter, you lose cold start protection. So I'd use 5w-50 or 10w-50 instead.

bigjo5
04-09-2006, 07:23 PM
New Honda engines (B, H and K series) are spec'd to run 10w-30. In the US, it's 5w-30 because of their cold winters. An older engine with leaky seals would run 5/10w-40 or 5/10w-50.

15w-50, that's alright during summer but when it's winter, you lose cold start protection. So I'd use 5w-50 or 10w-50 instead.

yeh :thumbsup: