PDA

View Full Version : Installing 6x9's on dc2 parcel shelf?

slipn
05-09-2006, 08:27 AM
YO all,

Just bought some new 6x9 speakers and I want to install them myself instead of paying someome else to do it!!
I want to put them on the rear parcel shelf, it looks easy to do but its something I dont want to stuff up.

Does anyone have any hints or tips?? What tools do you recommend?

Cheers in advance!!:D

Andrew21
05-09-2006, 09:52 AM
Not that hard of a task man .. A good DIY for the weekand..

You'll need atleast

*Drill
*Screw Drivers / Self Tapping Screws
*Jigsaw
*Template/ Tape Measure

Depending on how proffessional you want to make it look tools/process may vary but its a pretty easy job just time consuming.

The other option to save you alot less hassel and attention from theives is to replace the stock 6 1/2 " speakers in the rear quarter panels. Put a decent set in there and u'll be suprised how good it sounds.. Plus you put the stock grill back ontop so it all looks stock:thumbsup:

stanleym
05-09-2006, 10:27 AM
the one thing u just gotta watch out

when drilling the hole only make it big enough for it to fit ya...... u may be given a stencil etc for marking...but i reckon use the stensil but make hole little smaller and keep sanding etc to make it fit flush with the parcel shelf....

there nothing quite like having a small gap when showing people ur new 6x9's

(i dont kno that from experience )

slipn
05-09-2006, 01:14 PM
What if i dont have a stencil? Whats the best technique to mark the hole?

stanleym
05-09-2006, 02:42 PM
turn the 6x9's upside down get some cardboard and draw a rough outline of the shape of the cone - make sure u dont take it from the edge of the hoole speaker but the cone where it connects to the main part - this is to enusre u can still mount it

alternatively u can measure the length and width of the cone part and draw it that way- this is to enusre u can still mount it

just be careful always remember think twice cut once and not the other way around

cut smaller cause u can always cut more but cant cut less

sorry if i lecturing but its one thing i got tought big time =)

J-MuN
07-09-2006, 02:23 PM
Don't you reckon the parcel shelf on the DC2 is a bit flimsy? My bro's got a DC2R and it's pretty flimsy, not sure about the other DC2 models though. Just thought i'd ask.

stanleym
07-09-2006, 02:58 PM
not to bad depends if it has suppurt beams on it

if it dont u can always pot rive some or screw them just to make a bit for re enforced

misterpoh
07-09-2006, 03:55 PM
Just did it on my car. Its a very tight fit as the rear shelf has two metal beams across.
You dont wanna cut the beams or bend them as they work to support the shelf.
Make sure you measure correctly and cut only once. If you still have the original packaging, good!
The cardboard box itself will have a stencil on it. Just need to carefully peel out the stencil from the box off you go.
It took about 1 hour of measuring, cutting and adjusting. All working well.
PM me if you need more help. I can take some photos to guide you through.