PDA

View Full Version : NGK Iridium Spark Plugs?

nuborn
05-09-2006, 12:12 PM
Hi,

i was wondering if anyone has put NGK iridium spark plugs in their 4th gen prelly? apparently they are supposed to improve acceleration, torque and power. can anyone tell meany firsthand experience with these as i am wondering if they are worth spending the money on, and speaking of that, anyone know the price of them too?

thanks folks,

James

JasonGilholme
05-09-2006, 01:09 PM
They're not worth the extra money IMHO.

They are about 20 bucks a plug and the only upside is that they will last about 4 - 5 times longer then standard plugs. As for power gains. There would be none unless you're runnin a highly modified engine. The only real way to gain performance regarding ignition is to run an MSD(or equivelant) ignition system with different a different coil and leads etc.

I find it easier to change my plugs every 2nd or 3rd time i change my oil (which i do every 5000 km's)

nuborn
05-09-2006, 04:19 PM
cheers mate, someone on prelude australia tellin me about Atomic Spark plugs, say their real good, kno nething bout them?

JasonGilholme
05-09-2006, 04:50 PM
Atomic spark plugs? Is that a brand name (like NGK) or is it a spark plug concept (like iridium tip etc).

Try google it as well. You'll be surprised.

aaronng
05-09-2006, 05:11 PM
Iridium plugs are good for longevity. But if your engine is running rich or lean, then they will fail as quick as normal nickel plugs. Even the 4 ground-pronged denso iridiums that promise better spark performance doesn't seem like it would improve combustion because of the additional electrodes blocking the flow of air-fuel mixture into the electrode area.

If you are after performance, it would be more cost effective to use spark plug gap washers to orientate the plug so that the ground prong is on the side of the exhaust valve. This practice came about for 2-valve pushrod engines where the spark plug was actually located to one side of the 2 valves. On a 4-valve per cylinder engine, the performance gain is so miniscule that it's not worth orientating the plugs and risking pressure leaks.

A better choice would be to replace your fuel filter. If you are still running on your original fuel filter, you stand to regain A LOT of mid range torque.

nuborn
05-09-2006, 05:55 PM
Iridium plugs are good for longevity. But if your engine is running rich or lean, then they will fail as quick as normal nickel plugs. Even the 4 ground-pronged denso iridiums that promise better spark performance doesn't seem like it would improve combustion because of the additional electrodes blocking the flow of air-fuel mixture into the electrode area.

If you are after performance, it would be more cost effective to use spark plug gap washers to orientate the plug so that the ground prong is on the side of the exhaust valve. This practice came about for 2-valve pushrod engines where the spark plug was actually located to one side of the 2 valves. On a 4-valve per cylinder engine, the performance gain is so miniscule that it's not worth orientating the plugs and risking pressure leaks.

A better choice would be to replace your fuel filter. If you are still running on your original fuel filter, you stand to regain A LOT of mid range torque.

sorry, replacing the fule filter with give more torque or sticking with the original will give more torque? dumb question i kno, just a bit confused

aaronng
05-09-2006, 06:16 PM
sorry, replacing the fule filter with give more torque or sticking with the original will give more torque? dumb question i kno, just a bit confused
If you are still running on the original filter from 1994, then you will gain a lot when you replace the fuel filter with a new one. A Honda fuel filter should cost around $35.

nuborn
06-09-2006, 09:49 AM
cool, i mite try that then.

thanks

aaronng
06-09-2006, 12:11 PM
If you are doing it yourself, here's a DIY. It's for the civic, but the lude's filter is in a similar position but tighter to get to.

http://ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40747

kayot1k
06-09-2006, 12:24 PM
from my understanding there are four types of ngk plugs u can get.
standard, platnium , iridiums and iridiums IX.

standard , platnium and iridiums should all have similar spark abilities. whereas on the ngk website, they almost guarentee gains on the IX. downfall is its service life as it only has half the life of the normal iridiums.

wondering if anyone has notice any difference using the iridium IX's or are they just the standard iridums just with the IX label

regards

aaronng
06-09-2006, 12:34 PM
from my understanding there are four types of ngk plugs u can get.
standard, platnium , iridiums and iridiums IX.

standard , platnium and iridiums should all have similar spark abilities. whereas on the ngk website, they almost guarentee gains on the IX. downfall is its service life as it only has half the life of the normal iridiums.

wondering if anyone has notice any difference using the iridium IX's or are they just the standard iridums just with the IX label

regards
Standard is nickel. Platinums last longer. Iridiums last even longer. Iridium IX have a 0.6mm electrode compared to the standard iridium's 0.8mm electrode and hence doesn't last as long. There are so many other ways to get more performance other than using the most expensive sparkplugs.

shecomb
12-09-2006, 04:01 PM
I ran iridiums for a while, there's no noticible difference in power

skinnyboy
23-09-2006, 05:41 PM
NGK coppers, cheap to replace and do the job awesomely. Iridiums are for dreamers and the insane.

aaronng
23-09-2006, 06:28 PM
NGK coppers, cheap to replace and do the job awesomely. Iridiums are for dreamers and the insane.
How long do the copper ones last? Iridiums last 100,000-120,000km, so they would be good for a stock car that is not running rich nor lean. If it is modded, coppers would be better if you were expecting rich conditions when running at full throttle and high RPM.

CUL8R
23-09-2006, 07:46 PM
the copper plugs are much better for aftermarket power. change em as often as u do ur oil.

the V power copper plugs kick some serious arse!
they have a v cut groove in the electrode for a better spark. great for track days ect.

cuongn
21-10-2006, 02:02 PM
so would a new after market fuel filter save you abit more petrol,

aaronng
21-10-2006, 03:18 PM
Is that a statement or a question?

dundas
03-11-2006, 12:14 AM
I installed some Iridium IX into my 5th gen prelude VTIR
did a before n after of the plugs on dyno.. there was a few little bumps (up so good :D) here n there on the graph, but the overall outcome provided 111kw.
so at least you know that they will not decrease your cars performance...

PM me if you would like to get yourself a set for your car for under $20 each.
If you replace the sparkplugs in your vehicle from honda.. it will cost u around $20 EACH.... mmmmz...spark plugs :)

-Dundas

mj3610
03-11-2006, 10:52 AM
I ran iridiums for a while, there's no noticible difference in power
ofcourse there wouldnt be...
they're good cause they last longer, the normal spark plugs last about 40kms (2 years) and if what jasongilhomlme is saying is true that they will last 4 or 5 times more then the book says you will save more money buying the better ones, but IMO i dont know when im gonna have my car till, so i just get the normal ones cause i dont wanna buy the good ones that last longer and then decide to sell the car one day and have wasted all that money on something i didnt get any gains from, its not like they'll do ur engine any better or anything, they just last longer and maybe as arroyong has mentioned they might increase performance at high rpm running rich modded or some shit like that, im not a mechanical engineer but i don have commonsense...

94vtirozguy
03-11-2006, 01:39 PM
use copper plugs.
Copper is the best conductor.
You change them more often but they are cheaper to buy as well.