PDA

View Full Version : will changing my ignition leads make a difference to fuel economy?

fadz
06-09-2006, 10:36 AM
just curious, as all my leads do need to be replaced, iv been told iv got a bad fuel economy perhaps because of the leads? and should get me about 100km more with new OEM leads.
thanks.

SKREMN
06-09-2006, 09:28 PM
i think your dreaming with 100k's
if your leads are shit the car may not be ruinning 100% there for wasting fule but it cant be that much..

destrukshn
06-09-2006, 09:30 PM
what leads are you using? genuine OEM? if so leave em.
try changing plugs, clean/change air filter, fuel filter, clean your injectors, make sure your timing is right, adjust tappets, fresh oil change, check your tyre pressures, clean the throttle body.

marte
07-09-2006, 12:02 AM
like destrukshn said if your running oem leave them in.
would you have noticed if your cars running abit less responsive then it should/use to? btw what car do u have lol

fadz
07-09-2006, 08:40 AM
lol i got a SOHC VTI, its just that iv tested my sparkplug ignition leads, and there all outa tune, each gave a bad reading, when tested with the multi metre, they look pretti old to and yes there OEM...

timofytit
07-09-2006, 11:41 PM
i wouldn't test them with a multimeter, i work in the electrical field, the only way to test resistance is with a resistance bridge. Multimeters are only for general indication. A resistance bridge has 4 leads, 2 for current injection and 2 for voltage measurement. Sorry i'm not in sydney to test them for you, but if you know someone in the power industry they should be able to sort them out for you. But as the others say, definately clean up the rest of the stuff like intake, filters, carbon etc.

ErazeR
01-11-2006, 07:39 AM
taking ur foot of the accelerator will

EG5[KRT]
02-11-2006, 10:25 PM
isnt ignition leads tested by testing the resistance in the leads with an ohmmeter ?

tinkerbell
06-11-2006, 11:56 AM
yes, that is right,

if the readings are bad - you will gain performance by replacing with OEM leads...