PDA

View Full Version : B16A Engine Differences between AUTO & MANUAL

XB-16-AX
06-09-2006, 11:49 AM
Hi Guys,

Are there any differences in the EG Civic SIR II JDM B16A engines if it came with AUTO and MANUAL transmission?

the obvious one is the ECU of course and the tranny but apart from that .. how about the engine wise? performance?

Auto = rev / fuel limited is restricted compared to the manual ECU. anything else?

EDIT: ive done a search and wasnt informative enough.

:wave:

turtleEK1
06-09-2006, 05:50 PM
from what i have heard... the auto B16A motor is guttless as all hell!!

probably hence why you don't hear of anyone swapping to one of them!

EG5
06-09-2006, 06:12 PM
JDM b16a cams in manual and automatic is different.

barefootbonzai
07-09-2006, 08:14 AM
You sure bro? I need some links yo.

XB-16-AX
07-09-2006, 09:37 AM
JDM b16a cams in manual and automatic is different.

Serious?

were talking about the motor here ...

e.g. obd1 B16A Auto "engine" using a "manual" P30 ECU and manual tranny ..

any differences?

got any links?

saxman
07-09-2006, 10:57 AM
the auto and manual versions of the motor do use different cams...

a quick search on google brought up this link, showing a guy that pulled both out and measure to verify and the lobes on the auto cam were smaller

http://hondaswap.com/hybrid-ed-ef-da/b16-auto-cams-vs-5-spd-cams-47418/

barefootbonzai
07-09-2006, 11:00 AM
Did you measure them saxman?

saxman
07-09-2006, 11:02 AM
no, I haven't personally measured them

XB-16-AX
07-09-2006, 11:29 AM
with the link above u provided i was reading it and got this quote:

"sorry but the jdm b16 cams are jdm b16 cams the auto and 5 speeds all have the same cam as well as the xsi ...

the cams never changed from 88-91 .. thats what the high performance honda builders handbook says ..... the one by joe pettit"

the question is: my engine is a OBD1 92-95 JDM B16A <--now is there a difference in the manual and auto engines?

barefootbonzai
07-09-2006, 11:42 AM
interesting stuff, i need some hard evidence. Cause we've used a few auto engines and they have performed quite well, better than the orginal manual ones, but this might be due to the fact that auto's can't really be thrashed so the engines come in better condition.

But anyways, end of the day if there was a difference I haven't been able to tell from the engines i've done/used.

XB-16-AX
07-09-2006, 11:53 AM
interesting stuff, i need some hard evidence. Cause we've used a few auto engines and they have performed quite well, better than the orginal manual ones, but this might be due to the fact that auto's can't really be thrashed so the engines come in better condition.

But anyways, end of the day if there was a difference I haven't been able to tell from the engines i've done/used.

champ..

do u do conversion n stuff?

i just finished my conversion EG 92-95 B16A auto engine with CRX cable tranny and P30 Manual ecu in my concerto.

havent taken her for a spin yet as ive got a Exedy HD clutch installed but when i was trying to drive it this morning as soon as i pushed the clutch pedal down to go into 1st gear it wont engage.. it wont allow me to go into any gears at all while the engine is running and i dont want to put full force as i know it will crunch.

ive even tried to adjust the clutch cable as well ..but wont engage..

any thoughts of what the problem is here? :confused:

saxman
07-09-2006, 05:49 PM
with the link above u provided i was reading it and got this quote:

"sorry but the jdm b16 cams are jdm b16 cams the auto and 5 speeds all have the same cam as well as the xsi ...

the cams never changed from 88-91 .. thats what the high performance honda builders handbook says ..... the one by joe pettit"

the question is: my engine is a OBD1 92-95 JDM B16A <--now is there a difference in the manual and auto engines?
yah, there's a lot of people on there saying different things, I was simply posting it for reference of the guy who said he measured them, not the other people.

really, the only hard evidence is going to be for someone here to open both motors and measure themselves.

barefootbonzai
07-09-2006, 06:16 PM
sorry bro i've only worked on EG's, EK's DC2's (hydro clutch) so no idea about the cable clutch system.

Can you change gears when car is off and stationary?

XB-16-AX
08-09-2006, 09:35 AM
sorry bro i've only worked on EG's, EK's DC2's (hydro clutch) so no idea about the cable clutch system.

Can you change gears when car is off and stationary?

yeh i can change gears when the engine is off ,..

BUT ALL sorted now!!

phew!1

90LAN
08-09-2006, 12:20 PM
auto's are detuned with only 150hp
different ecu
correct me if im wrong anyone
my mate had one shit off vtec shit on vtec

XB-16-AX
08-09-2006, 12:37 PM
auto's are detuned with only 150hp
different ecu
correct me if im wrong anyone
my mate had one shit off vtec shit on vtec

Yeh i guess auto's will be downgraded with performance specs as auto ECU's are restricted to rev limit range 7300rpm instead of the manual 7800rpm, fuel cut, rev limiter

Limbo
11-09-2006, 11:43 AM
i'm more inclined with barefoot on this, Honda generally builds engines with interchangable parts, THis is to cut the cost of manufacture. So engine wise i would say they are the same (maybe previously older models are different, before they found out about the cost savings), as honda could wack in an auto or maual from factory without much issues. ECU will always be detuned, due to auto specs. This was the same for certain toyota engines that i played with before i got a honda.

CHU85
13-09-2006, 12:10 AM
i'm with u two too!
the lesser engines were the ones that were the obd0 ones
1st gen from ef's were detuned on the auto's. u can tell the older motors by looking at the Vtec Dohc on the rocker cover
If the VTEC is bigger in writting and on top of the DOHC then its a first gen one.
But like in most cases, the newer b16's obd1, the DOHC is bigger in writing but is still positiond under VTEC
hope that helps!!!!!

qstoria
13-09-2006, 12:29 AM
i'm with u two too!
the lesser engines were the ones that were the obd0 ones
1st gen from ef's were detuned on the auto's. u can tell the older motors by looking at the Vtec Dohc on the rocker cover
If the VTEC is bigger in writting and on top of the DOHC then its a first gen one.
But like in most cases, the newer b16's obd1, the DOHC is bigger in writing but is still positiond under VTEC
hope that helps!!!!!

other way round i think you'll find, unless my ef8 had its gen1 b16 replaced with a gen2 one :p but i still have cable clutch...

DOHC in large above the small VTEC is gen1 ie obd0 ie 160hp ie cable clutch
VTEC in large underneath the small DOHC is gen2 ie obd1+ ie 170hp ie hydro clutch

then again how hard is it to swap rocker covers.. check for cable clutch or hydro clutch as well if ur not sure. ahrder to change that than the rocker cover

XB-16-AX
13-09-2006, 09:59 AM
other way round i think you'll find, unless my ef8 had its gen1 b16 replaced with a gen2 one :p but i still have cable clutch...

DOHC in large above the small VTEC is gen1 ie obd0 ie 160hp ie cable clutch
VTEC in large underneath the small DOHC is gen2 ie obd1+ ie 170hp ie hydro clutch

then again how hard is it to swap rocker covers.. check for cable clutch or hydro clutch as well if ur not sure. ahrder to change that than the rocker cover

if the DOHC is larger than the VTEC then its GEN1 B16A OBD0 with the creme light coloured loom plugs etc.

If the VTEC is larger than the DOHC then its a GEN2 B16A OBD1 with the grey loom plugs.

Best bet to check is have a look at your distributor if its got the light or grey coloured plugs then you will know.

Also if u look at the engine block (i think on the timing area) or the throttle body (at the back) and even the loom conduit wrapping it will say either "PR3 for OBD0" or "P30 for OBD1"

thats how you will notice even if someone has changed the rocker cover.

fatboyz39
13-09-2006, 10:26 PM
The ecu are different. Motor wise and performance wise its all the same.

XB-16-AX
14-09-2006, 09:33 AM
The ecu are different. Motor wise and performance wise its all the same.

i presume so ..