PDA

View Full Version : Civic HIDs

civicem1
08-09-2006, 07:38 PM
hey,

just wanted to know if they made HID with both hi and low beams, and where i can get a pair from if they are available. I know that most HIDs come with one consistant beam that doesn't change whether you use your lighting in hi or low beam. I tried asking an ebay seller, but the guy couldn't give me a straight response as he had broken english, obviously an international ebayer.

thanks.

jamchen
08-09-2006, 07:48 PM
there's definitely one... search ebay with the key word Hi/Low... some of them uses HID for low beam and there's another halogen bulb attached on the bulb and that is used for hi beam. or there's another type of using both HID for hi and low by just increase input to the bulb to increase the brightness...
but i'd prefer first first than later as the ballsts are weak to be changing outputs... it will definitely decrease the life time expectancy of the ballsts...

marte
08-09-2006, 08:28 PM
yeah there are hi/low beam HID's they cost more(just a little bit though)

this is taken off a site from a guy selling in box hill
http://firesport.ipspace.com/?section=item&action=show&id=79986

i'm not selling it nor do i know who he is. just showing yuo that there hi/lows available

saxman
08-09-2006, 09:16 PM
yes, they're made, and they're very low quality. They're also going to cause even more glare than the normal drop in hid kits. Stay FAR away from them.

There's a much bigger difference in your headlights for high and low than just the bulb getting brighter. Yes, there are hid kits that do it this way, but it is not the correct way to do things.

If you want hi beams and low beams integrated into the hid headlight, the only proper way to do so is to retrofit in a bixenon projector.

jamchen
08-09-2006, 09:34 PM
totally agree with saxman!!

aka_NSX
08-09-2006, 10:30 PM
its not all of them like that, coz i used to have this set-up on my JAZZ with a BellOf HID, its not cheap thou

check here : BellOf (http://www.hitechimportlighting.com/bellofhid.htm)

civicem1
08-09-2006, 10:34 PM
Thanks for replying all! You're help is much appreciated. Could someone please collaborate and explain in simple english what "retrofit in a bixenon projector" means?

saxman
08-09-2006, 10:54 PM
retrofitting in a projector basically means taking a projector for a car that comes with oem hids, and integrating that projector into your headlight. You can find some more info on that concept at hidplanet.com

a bixenon projector is a type of projector that has hi and low beam functions. For high beams, a solenoid is triggered that moves a shield inside the projector, allowing more light out. Nothing changes about the bulb.

When using hids, it is VERY important to be using a headlight housing designed for hids. Your civic lights are not. Putting hids into the lights will cause lots of glare that blinds other vehicles on the road and does a very poor job of correctly focusing the light output.

When you retrofit in projectors, you're getting oem quality light output. Far better spread, better focus, etc. It's safe for other drivers and you can see MUCH better. You also get the benefit of much higher components. The majority of hid kits out there use VERY low quality components. When you retrofit, you use OEM components that are designed to last.

civicem1
08-09-2006, 11:07 PM
+ 1 rep point for you.

ccibai
08-09-2006, 11:37 PM
the more common type of hid for h4 i guess should b juz h4(no high light),h4 hi-lo(using magnet to move the bulb in n out so tat reflect further or nearer) n h4/hi halogen(which is juz another halogen bulb on the hid so that when u high light this will come on instead)
I m currently using the h4hid/hi halogen type on my ek n well wat saxman said is true n it is difficult to focus the light output but too bad i already bought the hid if not i will consider to get some aftermarket projector lamps tog with hid tat fit them bcoz the cutoff points n focus pt r a lot nicer.
cheers

FEL12X
09-09-2006, 12:21 PM
well...i reckon the Hi -halogen type are just some old design to keep the cost low that why they can sell it cheaper, but i would say its not as good as the others
the one on my car is the type that use a magnet to control the reflector shield so when u click on high beam the shield just move and reflect the light in an higher angle to make it high bean, not by adjusting the voltage / the light bulb itself i think this is much safer and it should last longer as they never been touch / move once they sit inside the headlight....

saxman
09-09-2006, 12:51 PM
it's not really any safer... they still don't project a good pattern... this is a problem with using hids in a halogen designed headlamp.

It probably is a better set up than the others... but that's not saying a whole lot

ShiRi
09-09-2006, 06:52 PM
I had H4 6000k Hi/Lo's and the Low HID was better than the Halogen high anyway so it was always on Low

Bought them from BT Revolution and were pretty decent quality!

zoopsta
10-09-2006, 07:06 PM
Does anyone have the hi/low hid with the magnetic positioning of the bulb (to switch from hi beam to lo beam).

What are they like?

TurBIce
10-09-2006, 10:02 PM
anyone know where to get fog light HIDS? 06 civic? website/shop.
i tried looking on ebay. but nothing for foglight hids`

FEL12X
10-09-2006, 10:04 PM
i think thats H11

we can get them if that is the one

TurBIce
10-09-2006, 10:14 PM
so thats the full fog light hid? dun need to purchasee housing etc?
how much for fitting?

hui
10-09-2006, 10:21 PM
give kongfu a pm. he has hid kits for sale.:wave:

jamchen
10-09-2006, 10:25 PM
so thats the full fog light hid? dun need to purchasee housing etc?
how much for fitting?

but i don't think its a good idea for putting HID in fogs...
first u have to make sure the spaces inside the fog light unit is long enough to accomondate the HID bulb as they usually longer in sizes than halogens..
also u might come accross the problem of overheating... as the housing spaces inside a fod unit isn't that big...

TurBIce
10-09-2006, 10:50 PM
oh yea. i didnt think about that. hmm...~~~
i wonder if cops will pull me over for HIDS. even if it doesnt blind people. perfectly retrofitted~

saxman
11-09-2006, 03:08 AM
oh yea. i didnt think about that. hmm...~~~
i wonder if cops will pull me over for HIDS. even if it doesnt blind people. perfectly retrofitted~
much much much less likely to occur in a retrofitted car, as they look and perform like stock. There's a big difference between looking at a car with an hid kit and a retrofit. It is, however, still possible... just much less likely.

TurBIce
11-09-2006, 10:11 AM
anyone get pulled over for there HIDS?
retrofitted hids. not the rice bulbs.

saxman
11-09-2006, 10:47 AM
afaik, I'm the only person on here with retrofitted hids

aka_NSX
11-09-2006, 11:03 AM

if you only install 6000k HID you wont be notice much by cops.......

jamchen
11-09-2006, 11:36 AM
afaik, I'm the only person on here with retrofitted hids
does the swap of OEM reflectors to OEM preojectors count as retrofit :P:P

destrukshn
11-09-2006, 11:38 AM
im quite sure boost on the this forum had it as well.
lol.

saxman
11-09-2006, 11:47 AM
although 6000k bulbs are much bluer than standard hids... they do stand out, and when used in an improperly designed headlight, it really doesn't matter what k bulb you use.

for peak light output from teh bulbs, only 4100/4300k bulbs should be used... everything else results in an increasingly significant loss of light(to the point where a 12000k bulb actually puts out a good bit less light than your stock halogen bulbs)

civicem1
11-09-2006, 09:41 PM
saxman, please post pictures of your retrofitted HIDS (please) and give us a rough estimate on each components price that you used on your project.

TurBIce
11-09-2006, 10:12 PM
yes pls saxman

saxman
12-09-2006, 08:30 AM
my retrofit:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c217/saxman242/P1010241.jpg(disregard the little piece of tape... was holding somethign in place temporarily)

on my car
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c217/saxman242/P1010266.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c217/saxman242/P1010267.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c217/saxman242/P1010263.jpg

an identical pair I made for a guy in the uk
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c217/saxman242/DSC00121.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c217/saxman242/DSC00123.jpg

I've done some others too, but these were pretty simple ones.

Basically, the retrofit consists of some bmw E46 single projectors, phillips 4300k HID bulbs, and matsushita ballasts(oem nissan parts). Everything is OEM. You get quality and performance this way. MUCH better quality and MUCH better performance than an hid kit.

There were some other parts used in the retro(the aftermarket headlights used to house them, and some trim pieces, etc), but that varies so much with each set up, and the look you're going for, that it doesn't really matter.

The main costs break down like this...

A pair of projectors can easily be found for around $100-150US, depending on what you use(there are much more expensive ones that perform better and such, but some very good projectors can be found in that range).

Ballasts usually run around $150 US
Bulbs brand new are $75US... but sometimes can be found cheaper.

If you go to hidplanet.com, they sell brand new projector packages with all the hid stuff needed, but parts can be found for cheaper on ebay.

You'll also need some wiring and such to make a relayed wiring harness(this is necessary for all HID set ups, not just retrofits... just plugging them in to your stock wiring harness is a VERY BAD idea).

saxman
12-09-2006, 08:33 AM
Here is a photo I took to demonstrate the glare caused by putting hids into a stock light not designed hids.

On the left side of the picture(right side of the car) is my retrofitted projector). On the other side is a stock headlight, with an hid bulb installed into the reflector. Yes, it's not in the stock headlight position, it's still on the radiator support. It is, however, aimed correctly.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c217/saxman242/glare.jpg

the projector retrofit puts out WAY more light in usable placed. The reflector side puts very little light where it's needed, but puts glare EVERYWHERE. There was even glare on the ceiling directly above the car, so there's no way to "aim the headlight lower" to prevent glare like most people claim they can do.

TurBIce
12-09-2006, 10:44 AM
thx saxman! too bad your in the states~

saxman
12-09-2006, 10:47 AM
whats that have to do with anything? I'm doing some lights right now for someone in australia...

civicem1
12-09-2006, 05:12 PM
hey how much do you charge for retofitting for my car (em1). I want to use nissan maxima 2005 housing. Please PM me with an estimate.

TurBIce
12-09-2006, 09:20 PM
how much do u charge for an 2006 civic?
does it come with the whole casing? so the projectors but i fit it in myself?

saxman
13-09-2006, 03:43 AM
how much do u charge for an 2006 civic?
does it come with the whole casing? so the projectors but i fit it in myself?
depends entirely on what you want to do, what parts you need, how you want it to look, etc

TurBIce
13-09-2006, 09:01 AM
i want it to be as OEM as possible.
it wouldnt be good to get a projector and fit that into my current housing which is a reflector correct? or will i be able to get away with just adding a projector in it and not blind people~

flipstar
13-09-2006, 11:44 AM
hey,

just wanted to know if they made HID with both hi and low beams, and where i can get a pair from if they are available. I know that most HIDs come with one consistant beam that doesn't change whether you use your lighting in hi or low beam. I tried asking an ebay seller, but the guy couldn't give me a straight response as he had broken english, obviously an international ebayer.

thanks.

go to car mate www.carmate.com the have a special on their HIDs 300 fitted i think its HID how beams and Halogen high beams

saxman
13-09-2006, 12:46 PM
i want it to be as OEM as possible.
it wouldnt be good to get a projector and fit that into my current housing which is a reflector correct? or will i be able to get away with just adding a projector in it and not blind people~
what happens is the reflector part gets remove, and a projector is installed in its place. Like so:

NOTE: the following is not my work... only meant to show you what is possible with the new civic lights.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c24/smithrookie/Picture002.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c24/smithrookie/Picture003.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c24/smithrookie/Picture006.jpg

TurBIce
13-09-2006, 06:03 PM
Ooo!! thanks for all your help saxman! that looks great.
i see what your talking about. thanks for explaining it to me.
i'll drive around with my current lights first. then see if its worth the $$.
picking up my car on sunday:)

dyljoy
13-09-2006, 06:16 PM
i want one in future later if i get enough cash in hand
now all i can do is still waitting my car coming~
Turbice~~i need my car

dannybubu
07-10-2006, 10:27 AM
it's rather gay that australia aren't releasing the civic Si....it's so much sexier than the range we have...