PDA

View Full Version : [Euro] Increasing negative camber on front

BiLL|z0r
09-09-2006, 07:14 PM
I always wear my front tyres out on the sides first. This is mainly due to cornering speeds. Other than slowing on corners (nah), can the Euro negative camber be increased without extra parts and if so what would a good setting be & what is the stock setting?

If I had this changed what else would be effected?

SLOWEGG
09-09-2006, 09:44 PM
Not enough tyre pressure will also cause this.

aaronng
09-09-2006, 11:22 PM
Not enough tyre pressure will also cause this.
:thumbsup:

What's your tyre pressure, BiLL|z0r?

Professional
10-09-2006, 12:12 AM
What is your camber setting now?

BiLL|z0r
10-09-2006, 07:14 AM
Tyre pressure is 37psi. nfi what camber currently is. What do Bob Janes normally set the front to?

aaronng
10-09-2006, 11:56 AM
Tyre pressure is 37psi. nfi what camber currently is. What do Bob Janes normally set the front to?
Euro's stock camber is meant to be
Front 0°00' ± 45'
Rear -1°00' ± 30'

As far as I know, camber is not adjustable on the Euro, unless you install a camber kit.

Chris_F
10-09-2006, 12:36 PM
Euro's stock camber is meant to be
Front 0°00' ± 45'
Rear -1°00' ± 30'

As far as I know, camber is not adjustable on the Euro, unless you install a camber kit.
Yea the front will stay very close to 0° camber even after 2"+ lowering.

I'm finding out about a camber kit atm for the front. I believe a bit more negative camber in the rear is to induce understeer, just like the thicker front sway bar compared to the rear sway sway bar.

I'm going to give -1.5 -2° a go in the front and see what it does for handling and if it will let me go any lower (id start scrubbing if i went any lower atm)... just gotta get a camber kit first.

Edit: also I think with 37psi tyre pressure sidewall flex could still be contributing to the problem if the tyre your using has is designed with a soft sidewall. once i changed to advan sports i felt a significant change in sidewall strength around corners. Upgrading to a tyre with reenforced sidewall may also help your problem but a camber kit is a good option IMO

Ferrarista
11-09-2006, 03:01 PM
I lowered my 2.5' at the front and it hardly changed the camber at all

The rears however..

aaronng
11-09-2006, 03:07 PM
That's why V8 supercars run excessive negative camber at the front. When they corner hard, the suspension geometry changes so that it has almost zero camber in the corner, thus letting the suspension work the maximum potential of the tyre's grip.

BiLL|z0r
12-09-2006, 07:18 AM
Any1 have any idea how much a front camber kit is (inc install labour)?

DLO01
12-09-2006, 12:18 PM
That's why V8 supercars run excessive negative camber at the front. When they corner hard, the suspension geometry changes so that it has almost zero camber in the corner, thus letting the suspension work the maximum potential of the tyre's grip.
Thats not the only reason. The tyre also flexes during conering. Even if the tyre/wheel is perfectly vertical there will be more force on the outside of the tyre due to the tyre flexing under load during conering. Camber/Castor can correct this to maintain uniform surface area loading.

bennjamin
12-09-2006, 01:46 PM
also if toe is out + or - it will wear the inside of the tyres too. Either raise the car , invest in a front camber kit or rotate your tyres more often to "even out" the wear :)

DLO01
12-09-2006, 01:53 PM
also if toe is out + or - it will wear the inside of the tyres too. Either raise the car , invest in a front camber kit or rotate your tyres more often to "even out" the wear :)

If toe is -ve too much it will wear the insides.

If toe is +ve too much it will wear the outsides

SiR
25-09-2006, 11:29 PM
Are there rear camber kits? Say if I was wearing out the insides of my tyres excessively at the rear, how would I address that issue?

BiLL|z0r
14-10-2006, 11:23 AM
Just digging up a oldish tread here.
I got a balance and alignment today (free 5000km's from bobbies).

Anyway the reason why I wear the outside of the front tyres more quickly is partly due to + camber found on the front. I have +0.17 (left) and +0.30 (right) degrees. Combined with my "cornering habits" this would equate to higher than normal wear. I also have +0.6mm (L) and +0.7mm (R) toe.

I'm to ring a suspension place on Monday for a front camber kit. They supply Fulcrum stuff, is it any good or should I go for brand's like Tein etc?

SiR - yes a rear camber kit would solve outside rear tyre wear. Do you have excessive rear camber at the moment (due to lowering)?