PDA

View Full Version : light weight flywheels?

rollin_high
09-09-2006, 08:11 PM
What are the pro's and con's of a lightweight flywheel?
Also...Are they worth putting on any car? (even a gli civic?)

locote
09-09-2006, 08:17 PM
i had one put on in my civic, and dont feel any difference at all

SKREMN
09-09-2006, 08:17 PM
does the car have any other mods maybe better of spending money elsewhere first
are you in the process of getting a new clutch coz the labour is a bit to remove the box and fit the new flywheel
you should get better exceleration on a flat road and car will rev out quicker
but these depend on how light you go and these improvements are only marginally noticible

turtleEK1
09-09-2006, 08:32 PM
i've been told they're the best mod for any N/A car...

yet i've also heard on another hand... that for you eg., a gli motor wouldn't be very good with a light weight flywheel because the d16y4 thats in your gli hasn't got alot of torque... and say if you go up a steep hill... your car will struggle...

so i guess from that... a lighter flywheel does help in acceleration... but don't go for the lightest!!

bennjamin
09-09-2006, 11:02 PM
i have had 2 light weight flys in my car - one in a stock d16a8 (toda) and now in a stock b18c7 (exedy) . I love it , IMO it gives much crisper response and noticeable accelleration difference. It just "feels" better. They are specifically designed to reduce weight and inertia for better engine response.

Here is a brief explanation of what a lighter flywheel can/will do -

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywheel/how_a_lightweight_flywheel_works.htm

Chris_F
10-09-2006, 06:20 PM
I have one in my car and the difference i fealt in engine response and revability was amazing. Different engines are going to respond differently though as others have mentioned.

locote, I'm interested as to why you didn't notice a difference... how much lighter was your flywheel compared to stock and on what engine?

iamhappy46
10-09-2006, 06:34 PM
^^ Agreed. Lightweight flywheels are awesome. The revability of the enginee improves a lot but they are best suited to a modified engine(intake/headers/exhaust) for the most noticeable difference.

locote
10-09-2006, 06:45 PM
The light weight is bout 4.5kg
Stock b18c fly would weight 12kg???
but i had the fly installed when my B18c got installed so i never drove car with stock B18c, but the drivability feels same.
Compare to the old d16y1 or even my GSi teg it does rev a lot quikker.

Chris_F
10-09-2006, 06:52 PM
I see, I think youll find if you drove another car with a stock b18c you'd defintiely feel the difference. Flywheels don't make power just let you get to the power quicker, which is why they are great for high reving na engines.

sever_all_ties
10-09-2006, 07:02 PM
I had an XACT streetlite (5ish kg) installed on my DC2 Vti-r recently. Response is better, revs go up and down slightly quicker and is a bit smoother up top. But nothing to rave about. On an opened up engine i would say there would be a fair bit of difference.

Paul1985
10-09-2006, 07:36 PM
i've been told they're the best mod for any N/A car...

yet i've also heard on another hand... that for you eg., a gli motor wouldn't be very good with a light weight flywheel because the d16y4 thats in your gli hasn't got alot of torque... and say if you go up a steep hill... your car will struggle...

so i guess from that... a lighter flywheel does help in acceleration... but don't go for the lightest!!
Best mod for an N/A car?? i wouldnt think so. Much better mods for a N/A car than a lightened flywheel.

Definately not worth it if your car is stock and has no plans for future perfomance upgrade.. That is unless you need a new flywheel or are upgrading to a new clutch aswell.

Just my opinions.

For the cost id get a new exhaust system or something like that anyway. Better performace upgrades

WhiteAP1
10-09-2006, 07:44 PM
I got the TODA clutch kit,which replaced my 9kg flywheel with a 3.8kg one. I really found this to be quite a worth while upgrade. This explination from TODA might be helpful.

Inertia and a quicker responding engine.

Hold a brush by the end of the handle and try to spin it quickly and then try to stop it as quickly as possible. You have just experienced inertia. Now place your hand half way down the handle spin and stop it again. See how much easier it was to control, that's what we try to achieve with our TODA chrome molly flywheels, a quicker responding engine, giving you more control. Basically a heavy flywheel helps to smooth the power delivery to the wheels when the engine is running at very low speeds. The balance between ultra lightweight (quick response) and ultra heavy (slow response) are other key factors built into TODA chrome molly flywheels.

iamhappy46
10-09-2006, 07:45 PM
A lightweight flywheel on a VTEC engine, will get you onto the hi-cam a lot quicker which makes it feel slightly faster. Of course, heavy chrome rims is similiar to fitting a heavier flywheel.