PDA

View Full Version : [Euro] Underdrive Pulley

yfin
04-10-2005, 03:45 PM
I am starting this thread to move posts from the High Flow cat thread. A discussion started in that thread about pulleys - it really deserves its own thread.

More info from manufacturer here: (http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=UR&Category_Code=TSX)

They are available online and probably locally (I haven't checked).

curik
31-08-2006, 12:49 PM
im going for pulleys instead

TypeG
31-08-2006, 01:02 PM
pulley?
cam pulley or what?

aaronng
31-08-2006, 01:11 PM
pulley?
cam pulley or what?
Probably UR underdrive accessory and crank pulleys.

TypeG
31-08-2006, 01:24 PM
they are quite good as what i heard of
but high flow cat maybe a better go since u got header already and now u need cat and exhuast

kitbkk
31-08-2006, 04:06 PM
also UR pulleys kit is also in my wanted list but..........lloll.. eating instant noodles everyday is killing me now lol

Chris_F
31-08-2006, 07:24 PM
also UR pulleys kit is also in my wanted list but..........lloll.. eating instant noodles everyday is killing me now lol

haha, you should go to a buffet and never leave, it's even cheaper - if they advertise all you can eat just say you're not full yet and live there :thumbsup:

curik
08-09-2006, 09:06 PM
Thats more manual labour. And for $440, I think I will get the UR pulleys. Nice gains and more importantly low down torque. :D

Chris_F
08-09-2006, 09:52 PM
Well the UR pulleys are going to be rather expensive to install unless you can do it yourself. Let us know what you think of them

curik
08-09-2006, 10:34 PM
I will tackle them. It costs US 275. About $370. Similar price to a CAI but with more gains :D

ALN
08-09-2006, 11:44 PM
it's not bolt on. you just got the cat and you have to make additional piping and weld them together.
It's true though impression feelings I got from UR and high flow cat seems to get more gains from UR pulley (the result may vary since I have lightweight flywheel) .however if you got upgraded stereo I won't recommend you buy the pulley since I killed my battre within a month when I had audio close to 500-600 watts.
About installation it cost me around $140 for pulley, it is quite a hard job from what I saw when installing the crank pulley one since it located down below.

Chris_F
09-09-2006, 12:05 AM
ALN check your pm

curik
09-09-2006, 12:21 AM
lol ALN! You have the pulleys installed for $140 at RE? Thats not bad at all! I might skip the hassle and ask Ray to put them on. Btw, looking at the powerful audio system, are you an indo?

ALN
09-09-2006, 01:03 AM
yeah, I'm indo. The labor $140 I got from racing project but I have sold my audio system couple months ago since I wanna concentrate more to performance purpose and because of the pulley. Are you indo too? anyway it's nice to know you.

curik
09-09-2006, 01:12 AM
HORRAY! Are you driving the silver euro? Agentz? I would like to meet you sometimes! I want to buy the pullies too but not sure yet. My msn is ayohan@iinet.net.au. Please add me thanks!

tony1234
09-09-2006, 01:10 PM
Well the UR pulleys are going to be rather expensive to install unless you can do it yourself. Let us know what you think of them
I'll ask a dumb question.What are UR pulleys?:confused:

Chris_F
09-09-2006, 01:26 PM
Unorthodox Racing under drive pulleys, i believe they are smaller and lighter meaning less parasitic losses

tony1234
09-09-2006, 06:29 PM
Unorthodox Racing under drive pulleys, i believe they are smaller and lighter meaning less parasitic losses
Can you get them for a euro?if so do you know how much and are they easy to fit?:cool:

Chris_F
09-09-2006, 07:39 PM
I dont know much about them other than what they do, hopefully one of the other members that already have them wil be able to help you out

curik
09-09-2006, 08:00 PM
How much? close to $400. Easy fit? from 0-10 I'd say 8. Getting a mechanic to do it costs $140. Gains are about 5 hp accross the band and excellent low rpm torque gain

ALN
09-09-2006, 08:24 PM
HORRAY! Are you driving the silver euro? Agentz? I would like to meet you sometimes! I want to buy the pullies too but not sure yet. My msn is ayohan@iinet.net.au. Please add me thanks!

the silver mugen one.
yeah,we could meet sometime. It's worth I think to buy the pulley. It feels like having lightweight flywheels but with pulley it push to more torque the power gain should be between 5-10hp based on other forum but I can't support this since I haven't dynod mine and I have light flywheels.

tony1234
09-09-2006, 09:42 PM
the silver mugen one.
yeah,we could meet sometime. It's worth I think to buy the pulley. It feels like having lightweight flywheels but with pulley it push to more torque the power gain should be between 5-10hp based on other forum but I can't support this since I haven't dynod mine and I have light flywheels.
How long have you had them (the pulleys) on?I've heard there can be issues re:engine vibration which could affect engine longivity!!

yfin
09-09-2006, 11:08 PM
How long have you had them (the pulleys) on?I've heard there can be issues re:engine vibration which could affect engine longivity!!

Apparently not on the K24 according to our friends inthe USA - as it doesn't use the pulleys as a harmonic balancer (I hope that is explained right). I'll let someone who knows more about it explain as I don't understand that principle.

tony1234
09-09-2006, 11:25 PM
Apparently not on the K24 according to our friends inthe USA - as it doesn't use the pulleys as a harmonic balancer (I hope that is explained right). I'll let someone who knows more about it explain as I don't understand that principle.
Please.If anyone could tell me more it would be appreciated.also where i could order some.again thanks for your help.:)

yfin
09-09-2006, 11:43 PM
I am taking what is said in this link (http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25989&highlight=harmonic+balancer) at face value - I am not in a position to tell you whether it is accurate. He does say he spoke to a Honda engineer.

You can do a search on that site for the original threads - just search for "harmonic" and you will find it.

yfin
10-09-2006, 12:14 AM
Posted by ALN in the other thread - couldn't copy it across directly...

I have them for almost 3 months now. Everything seems fine except as I mentioned earlier about the upgraded stereo caused problem as it killed my battery less than 1 month after installed. About the harmonic balance, I'm not really understand the principle of it but when I went to one workshop, he showed me crankshaft and its area. Pulley and flywheel it sort of connected by crankshaft so I would think changing fylwheels already creates unbalanced in the first place if we are talking about balance

Omotesando
10-09-2006, 12:33 AM
Do becareful when fitting this type of modification.
I previously had a problem on different car with a very well known brand Underdrive pulley which it was either not installed properly or probably because it was aftermarket and vibrated too much as it spun, wearing out an oil seal somehow. Furthermore a couple of people had the same problem as I did!

And the battery - yes, it could drain mightily fast if running too many electricals especially if the Euro Accord's engine seems to idle at fairly low speeds..

With the car seemingly running so many electricals I would probably pick lightweight flywheel before this :) As for the Harmonic Dampening, I guess if people with pulley on, has cranks that aren't damaged by any twisting it should be ok. Not really a big issue I guess!

Omotesando
10-09-2006, 01:06 AM
Well, the Harmonic Dampener isn't only about balancing I take it. That's only half of the story.

Part of it is to reduce torsional forces, so it won't twist the crank.

Part of it absorbs the vibrations so that it won't produce a resonance that could destroy part of the crank at a certain frequency.

So if the Honda powerplant was balanced well from factory, changing it to a different crank pulley with different diameter and different weight, will most probably change the characteristics of the frequencies/resonance somehow.

But anyway I still don't really believe Honda engines will have problems running one though :)

curik
10-09-2006, 01:51 AM
I'm still thinking either to get the pulleys or the new Logitech G25 steering wheel

EuroDude
10-09-2006, 02:19 AM
lolz never heard of these underdrive pulley things before - they sound like more hassle than they are worth espeically when considering they lessen the life of the engine. anyhoos found some good info~

http://www.marchperf.com/underdrive2.html (FAQ)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underdrive_pulleys (wiki ftw)
http://forums.evolutionm.net/archive/index.php/t-163670.html (Regarding a prelude's experience)

aaronng
10-09-2006, 02:42 AM
lolz never heard of these underdrive pulley things before - they sound like more hassle than they are worth espeically when considering they lessen the life of the engine. anyhoos found some good info~

http://www.marchperf.com/underdrive2.html (FAQ)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underdrive_pulleys (wiki ftw)
http://forums.evolutionm.net/archive/index.php/t-163670.html (Regarding a prelude's experience)
Haven't heard about underdriven pulleys?!?!?!!?!?!!??!?!
Anyway, as yfin pointed out, I've also been told by TSX owners that B and K series engines do not use the crank pulley as a harmonic dampener. The underdrive pulleys are a very popular mod over on the TSX boards, but I will keep watching that forum for any problems that might pop up before I do this mod. In fact, you will get better performance gain from using lighter rims!

EuroDude
10-09-2006, 02:54 AM
nope I thought it was some kind of exhaust supercharger/extractor that runs of the drivetrain LOL. yeah anyway first time for everything :D

*hopes my 17" gunmetal rims are lighter than the stock 16"s*

yfin
10-09-2006, 02:55 AM
When are those belts due for change if used with the OEM pulleys?

aaronng
10-09-2006, 03:04 AM
When are those belts due for change if used with the OEM pulleys?
When the tensioner goes out of spec. You can see the indicator, just behind the alternator. If you use underdrive pulleys, you shouldn't use the stock or Honda OEM belt. You need to get an aftermarket belt that is slightly smaller.

curik
10-09-2006, 08:36 AM
where can I buy shorter Gates belts, smart cat?

aaronng
10-09-2006, 12:01 PM
where can I buy shorter Gates belts, smart cat?
Gates Australia Pty. Ltd

1-15 Hydrive Close
South Dandenong, Victoria 3175
Australia
Phone: 61-3-9797-9666
Fax: 61-3-9797-9600

For Sales Enquiries:
Customer Service: +61 3 9797 9688 or
southpacsales@gates.com

For Technicial Enquiries:
gatestech@gates.com

Atjo
10-09-2006, 12:55 PM
the silver mugen one.

Curik, you can't miss it, it's the best euro in melbourne :)

Any link about where to buy this underdrive pulley?

curik
10-09-2006, 08:35 PM
yeah lots of them. ebay, tsxparts, or even GB from acura-tsx. But we also need to purchase a smaller belt to avoid excessive wear.