PDA

View Full Version : Audiophiles dream HU become reality....

Ru$kI
10-09-2006, 12:24 PM
Browsing on the net, I randomly came across a headunit by the name of Helix Competition Conductor. It's made by Helix, which are the little brother of Brax, a german car stereo company which is well known for its amps.

When I saw this headunit...I was stunned :eek:. Here are some pics:

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/2917/helixrp2.jpg

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/6538/helix2pb2.jpg

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/2499/helix1ka8.jpg

The design is nothing like I've ever seen before, but then I took a peek at the specs.......my jaw dropped :eek: :eek:

Audio

• 24-bit Burr Brown DAP, 24-bit Burr Brown ADC
• Line input (stereo) + microphone input (stereo)
• 6 independently controlled line outputs (7V) + subwoofer output
• 6 power amplifier channels (max: 4х45 W + 2х35 W)
• 6 independent channels of DSP processing
• 6 independent high-accuracy time delay channels
• Embedded 3-lane crossover (cut-off rate 12/24 dB/oct)
• Embedded graphic one-third-octave (30 lanes) or equivalent parametric equalizer
• Independent stereo base control for three pairs of stereo channels
• Embedded test and measuring signals generator

CD-section

• Media: СD-DA, CD(-R,-RW), Mixed - CD
• File control systems: multisession ISO9660/Joliet, UDFS*
• Compression formats: (AD)PCM, WAV, MP3, Vorbis, FLAC
• СD-Text (CD-DA), Tags (for compressed formats)
• Electronic antishock (including that for CD-DA)

FM-radio

• Digital programme and hardware radio signal processing
• FM(stereo) and VHF (stereo) bands
• FM synthesizer’s frequency spacing 10 kHz
• RDS and Radiotext system support
• Random station choice option
• Fragment repeat mode (without information loss)

User interface

• Graphic VFD-display
• Tentative one-button control (encoder)
• Multimedia animation menu
• Multilanguage font and code support (UNICODE-16)
• Voice informer
• Distance control desk (widespread desk support)

Attachment interfaces

• Embedded automobile diagnose interface (Electronic document management system)
• MegaBUS fast-speed interface (5Mbps):
o ATAPI BOX*: ATA-accumulator support (HDD, ATAPI-CD/DVD)
o Computer connection

Software support and update

• Embedded software update performed by the user
• Reprogrammable menu, options, animation

Additional service options

• Nonvolatile memory of all settings
• Embedded real time clock
• Calendar, alarm-clock, timer/time check

Safety

• Power saving timeouts
• "Hands Free"* option
• Many-level anti-thief protection system

It seems the technology has been copied over from a little-known head-unit made in Russia called URAL CCD, with the addition of some features, whole new software, and redesign of the face plate.

This unit was only released in August 2006, and for now is only available in Germany, however I'm sure you can purchase these from Germany over the net:D

More info can be found on these sites (its all in German)

http://www.audiotec-fischer.com/produkte/conductor.html

http://www.caraudio-store.de/Competition,Conductor,High-End,Headunit,mit,DSP,Helix::::2847::::62dae8a2.htm l

http://www.carhifidirekt.de/catalog/product_info.php/pName/helix-competition-conductor-cd-mp3-dsp-receiver/cName/steuergeraeteradios-mp3-cdtuner

vividjazz
10-09-2006, 03:02 PM
It works out at about $1350 Australian Dollars + shipping.

Fr3aKi3
10-09-2006, 04:11 PM
I like the look of it but I wonder how ergonomic it is, since it doesn't really have any buttons.

Ru$kI
10-09-2006, 04:34 PM
I like the look of it but I wonder how ergonomic it is, since it doesn't really have any buttons.

The Ural CCD had exactly the same design with respect to only having 2 buttons, and from what I've read from its users, its extremely user friendly, and you can control almost all the features of the headunit by just using the rotary knob and that other button. I was rather skeptical of this at first, but then I saw a video of it in action, and it does seem that it is extremely user-friendly. Thus I expect this deck to be as user-friendly as the Ural, since Helix utilises the same technology of the Ural, and is adding few little extra things (24bit Burr Brown DAC, integration with Helix amps, all new software)

Here's the link to download the video of the Ural CCD, its 16MB from memory:

http://www.uralcdd.com/UralCDD.mpg

m3ntAL_l2
10-09-2006, 04:44 PM
dont like it :(
dont think it will suit/look good in my car nither

matt
10-09-2006, 05:19 PM
that looks like a very nice HU, prolly sounds sensational with those specs too.

m3ntal I2-is the car in your pic your car?

m3ntAL_l2
10-09-2006, 05:24 PM
nah its not.. lol
mates' vS

Menthu Rae
10-09-2006, 05:32 PM
*drool* Hmmm *adds to "to buy" list*

Now what're some good speakers to match the SQ provided by this baby?

Fr3aKi3
10-09-2006, 05:47 PM
Focal Utopia BE
Dynaudio 360 GT's
Hertz Mielle

To name a few...

I watched the video clip and i'm still not convinced about the rotary control. It's fine when you can actually look at the deck and see what you're doing, but when you're on the move it's a different story.

My current HU also has minimal buttons but it has enough (to an extent). Let's take radio stations for example, if you're listening to station 1 and want to listen to station 6 you'd have to scroll through stations 2-5 before you get to 6, if you have the usual 6 buttons on the bottom or side then you could just go straight to 6. Same story with MP3s, how is it possible to change the volume, folder, song or just skip 30secs of a song from one rotary? I don't own the unit or know much about it but i'm just assuming that you'd probably have to go through a menu/sub menu system which might be ok with some but personally i think it'd be too much of a hassle for such simple tasks. But as i said I don't have any experience with the deck so it might have a very intuitive interface.

Ru$kI
10-09-2006, 07:09 PM
Focal Utopia BE
Dynaudio 360 GT's
Hertz Mielle

To name a few...

I watched the video clip and i'm still not convinced about the rotary control. It's fine when you can actually look at the deck and see what you're doing, but when you're on the move it's a different story.

My current HU also has minimal buttons but it has enough (to an extent). Let's take radio stations for example, if you're listening to station 1 and want to listen to station 6 you'd have to scroll through stations 2-5 before you get to 6, if you have the usual 6 buttons on the bottom or side then you could just go straight to 6. Same story with MP3s, how is it possible to change the volume, folder, song or just skip 30secs of a song from one rotary? I don't own the unit or know much about it but i'm just assuming that you'd probably have to go through a menu/sub menu system which might be ok with some but personally i think it'd be too much of a hassle for such simple tasks. But as i said I don't have any experience with the deck so it might have a very intuitive interface.

Yea, i see what you're saying. Its probably overly simplistic in the design, but thats why it looks so unique as well.

My HU also has few buttons (since its 1DIN touchscreen....Clarion DXZ856MP) and I personally think that if it had any fewer it would just be a hassle. But you never know, if the software is written well enough, it could well be made to be quite user-friendly

ICACHA
10-09-2006, 10:45 PM
blah blah blah blah, specs specs specs specs, it probably does sound good, but whos listened to one and do all those specs mean anything with the car running? hehehehehehe

ICACHA
10-09-2006, 10:46 PM
oh, just one other thing, silver sux in a car with a black dash :p

aka_NSX
10-09-2006, 11:18 PM
IMO Clarion HXD2 still a better Headunit ...........

Spec83
30-09-2006, 06:13 PM
Looks like the old pioneer P9X... ;)