PDA

View Full Version : Apexi Cold Air-Intake System - good or bad?

Honda Enthusiast
10-09-2006, 03:43 PM
Dear friends,

I plan to buy an Apexi Pod Air-Filter for my Accord, but have heard mix opinions that because it's a Pod filter and has 360 degrees intake capability (not enclosed) and being close to the engine, it will suck in the hot air from the engine as well and hence might decrease performance.

Although I want to nice sucking sound, I do not want my car's performance to decrease - can anyone tell me what should I do.

For arguments sake, just say if the above is true...is there a way I can seal of the pod filter so that it exclusively only sucks in Cold air - and if so, would I not get the nice air-intake sound?

Cheers :thumbsup:

tRipitaka
10-09-2006, 04:14 PM
it's not only the apexi pod filter, it's all pod filters in the engine bay, that'll suck up hot air..

yes, you can seal it off with a DIY box, or get an already made system (mugen/comptech).. the sound will probably be muffled a bit..

CUL8R
10-09-2006, 04:38 PM
u could get a COLD AIR INTAKE which sits the pod in the wheel well and not in theengine bay

Honda Enthusiast
10-09-2006, 09:34 PM
it's not only the apexi pod filter, it's all pod filters in the engine bay, that'll suck up hot air..

yes, you can seal it off with a DIY box, or get an already made system (mugen/comptech).. the sound will probably be muffled a bit..

Cheers mate....

yeah, I might have to...as much as i want the sound....hate the idea of it sucking in hot air instead of cold!

I will look around - do you or anyone here know where I can get a system as described by you?

SiReal
10-09-2006, 10:31 PM
You might want to consider getting a K&N replacement planel filter. that way, u keep ur stock box, retain the air pressure required, u can then do a DIY CAI from ur front bumper to the inlet to the airbox, and it will still look legal and untouched. this is what i have done.

I used to have a pod and after a month or two of driving, the drone just got too annoying. Trust me, it will annoy after a while. But to answer ur question re pod, go to autobarn and pick up a heatsheild, and do the DIY as above, OR

get a replacement system which begins from the throttle body all the way down to the lower front bumper at which a pod is connected at the end. but u do risk sucking in water if u drive into a deep puddle (i.e. flash flooding) and when ur engine sucks all that water up, good bye engine. - rare but still can happen. look on US ebay or just ask one of the traders (i.e. egSI). he'll probs have something

Honda Enthusiast
11-09-2006, 12:57 PM
:thumbsup:
You might want to consider getting a K&N replacement planel filter. that way, u keep ur stock box, retain the air pressure required, u can then do a DIY CAI from ur front bumper to the inlet to the airbox, and it will still look legal and untouched. this is what i have done.

I used to have a pod and after a month or two of driving, the drone just got too annoying. Trust me, it will annoy after a while. But to answer ur question re pod, go to autobarn and pick up a heatsheild, and do the DIY as above, OR

get a replacement system which begins from the throttle body all the way down to the lower front bumper at which a pod is connected at the end. but u do risk sucking in water if u drive into a deep puddle (i.e. flash flooding) and when ur engine sucks all that water up, good bye engine. - rare but still can happen. look on US ebay or just ask one of the traders (i.e. egSI). he'll probs have something

Thanks for your detailed and informative reply, champ! Cheers! :thumbsup:

I'll look around and ask for what you have suggested!

Limbo
11-09-2006, 11:57 PM
i got a pod in an enclosed box and it still has a grunty noise. Much louder than the panel filter. An enclosed box won't stop the noise that much.

Mugen_B16B
13-09-2006, 12:43 AM
y is this guy such a noob? have u guys read his posts?? lol

aaronng
13-09-2006, 01:09 AM
y is this guy such a noob? have u guys read his posts?? lol
Yes he is a noob. Yes, I've read his posts. And this thread that he made is one of the good ones. :thumbsup:

Mugen_B16B
13-09-2006, 03:32 AM
yeah i no lol