PDA

View Full Version : 5th Gen Headunit replacement questions (update)

razaman
20-05-2004, 08:00 PM
Just after some suggestions and ideas from the forum.

I pulled out my factory tape deck and replaced it with a cd player.

Anyhow, the factory headunit was attached to the lower tray by two screws, once on each side. This was the only thing securing the old headunit in place (besides the dash holding the lower tray in place).

Did you guys find this was normal for yours? I thought the lower tray and the top frame was a one piece kit that I could use to help attach the cage for the new headunit. As such the cage is pretty loose.

Do you guys have any suggestions on securing the cage that holds the new headunit? Or any tips that you found useful?

Raz

Calvo
20-05-2004, 08:39 PM
by cage im assuming u mean the security bracket that comes with aftermarket headunits??

wat my mate did (he's a professional audio installer) was pot rivoted the cage onto the din slot, that way it stays secure, and its harder to steal.
if u want some fotos ill can take some for ya.

poid
20-05-2004, 08:55 PM
i took the whole lot out and secured the back of the HU to it as well

razaman
20-05-2004, 08:57 PM
by cage im assuming u mean the security bracket that comes with aftermarket headunits??

Yeah.

if u want some fotos ill can take some for ya.

Yeah that would be sweet! :D

Raz

razaman
20-05-2004, 09:06 PM
Another question, is the rear factory speakers 5.25 inches?

My accord is a lxi - the vti might be different with it's six speaker system.

Raz

wynode
20-05-2004, 09:11 PM
While you're taking pictures why not make a DIY thread out of it? :)

Calvo
20-05-2004, 11:12 PM
ill see wat i can whip up, bringing to car to see marty (Fhrx) 2morrow for a tune :D

h22a accord
21-05-2004, 08:39 AM
Another question, is the rear factory speakers 5.25 inches?

My accord is a lxi - the vti might be different with it's six speaker system.

Raz

The rear speakers should be 6X9" like all 5th gen accords.

the 5th and 6th speaker on the vti and vti-s are tweeters on either side of the dash , up near the windscreen.

cam.

razaman
21-05-2004, 08:43 AM
This morning I unscrewed the rear speaker tray and the factory speakers are 5.25 inches in the rear (I would hate to now think what's in the front :cry: )

Everything I read on factory speakers for the accord suggested that they would be 6x9's.

6x9's would easily fit with some modification to the metal tray holding the speaker but I don't think I can be farked.

Raz (thanks!)

h22a accord
21-05-2004, 08:58 AM
damn, NZ spec accords, u got pic of your rear parcel shelf?

cam.

Calvo
21-05-2004, 09:00 AM
fronts r 6in im pretty sure...

problem i found on the accord is that coz of the power windows wen u put em down, there isnt much room for some splits with big magnet, i managed to squeeze 6in splits into the front with a custom spacer, but any bigger and i'd ned custom pods aswell. i wanted my splits to fit in the stock holes so i was particular bout wat i got.

toE
21-05-2004, 12:50 PM
This morning I unscrewed the rear speaker tray and the factory speakers are 5.25 inches in the rear (I would hate to now think what's in the front :cry: )

weird!! mine are 6x9s ...or 7x10s cause i had dem in dere b4. hmm...

JohnnyBoy
21-05-2004, 02:18 PM

weird!! mine are 6x9s ...or 7x10s cause i had dem in dere b4. hmm...

mine are 6x9's as well.. i'm willing to put money on that 6x9's will fit.. but mine is a VTIs..

poid
21-05-2004, 02:22 PM
yeh mine are 6x9's...i think the fronts were 5 1/4" but cant remember. I got 7" speakers in the front using a spacer, but was lucky that the magnets are quite shallow

Spoon-Accord
21-05-2004, 02:25 PM
frounts are 5 1/2,,
i fitted 6 inch type-R's in..
with some help..
sounds fine

:D

6x9's in the back for mine..
i got an Exi.. so no front tweeters!!!
woohoo!
Ken

razaman
21-05-2004, 02:45 PM
I feel totally ripped off!! :x :x

6x9's would easily fit if I could be bothered cutting the metal plate that the speakers are attached to, but I can't be a$$ed. So I've purchased some decent 5.25's. They'll have to do! :roll:

Cam - I'll take a pic when I rip out the old speakers next week.

Raz

poid
21-05-2004, 03:54 PM
eh i wouldnt worry, i dont even run rear speakers :)

Calvo
21-05-2004, 05:58 PM
yeh after speaking to Fhrx today... im considering pulling the rears out. lol.

razaman
31-05-2004, 02:00 PM
Hey Cam

I promised you some pics. Here's the rear parcel tray. As you can see there is plenty of room for 6x9's. No one I have talked to has 5.25's in the back, any 5th gen, any model specification. Grrr.

http://www.ryanhalls.com/ozhonda/before.jpg

I have replaced the stock speakers with the same size, 5.25 inches. They are 260watt 2 ways. When I have some more $$ (and the wife let's me) I'll stick these in the front doors and get some 6.5's for the rear tray.

http://www.ryanhalls.com/ozhonda/after.jpg

In the last 2 weeks I have purchased a HU, speakers, and had the mirrors and door guards color coded. 8) I'll try and get some pics on a nice day. Just washed the car 2 days ago and already filthy. :(

Raz

h22a accord
31-05-2004, 02:10 PM
nice, looks as if 6x9 would fit. the part that you screwed those speakers into might unscrew then the 6X9 would take its place.

if that works, put the round ones in the front.

cam.

razaman
31-05-2004, 02:15 PM
nice, looks as if 6x9 would fit. the part that you screwed those speakers into might unscrew then the 6X9 would take its place.

if that works, put the round ones in the front.

Yeah that whole metal plate comes out, I'm thinking of 6.5's instead of 6x9's though, I'm told they are clearer (round cone) but not as LOUD.

The 5.25's will go into the doors.

Cheers!

Raz

poid
31-05-2004, 05:01 PM
i would rather put the better speakers in the doors (ie 6.5") and leave the 5.25's in the rear

razaman
31-05-2004, 06:16 PM
i would rather put the better speakers in the doors (ie 6.5") and leave the 5.25's in the rear

That's a very interesting suggestion, can you tell me more? Why you would etc...

Cheers! :)

Raz

razaman
31-05-2004, 06:16 PM
damn double post...

poid
31-05-2004, 06:32 PM
simply because whenever i listen to something the sound comes from in front of me (concerts, TV, etc), and so i like the sound stage to be in front of me in the car as well.

This is why i have a good front stage and no rears. Its hard to tell where sub bass is coming from so having subs in the back doesnt hurt this effect.

I did a test once where i disconnected my brother's rear speakers, to see whether there was an audible difference. He asked me a few days later "have you touched my stereo? cos it sounds a whole lot better for some reason". So since then his rears have stayed off as well.

Having the rears drags the sound stage back, and also if the rears are of worse quality than the fronts will also lessen the quality of what you are hearing. The only reason i would consider having any is if i had passengers in the rear that bitched about it (but that doesnt often happen, and i tell em to shut it instead :D)

razaman
31-05-2004, 06:36 PM
Nice explanation, gives me something to ponder while I save the cash for the 6.5's that will.... go into the doors.... :D

Cheers mate.

Raz

Calvo
01-06-2004, 10:36 AM
The only reason i would consider having any is if i had passengers in the rear that bitched about it (but that doesnt often happen, and i tell em to shut it instead :D)
wats it like in the back if theres no rears?
coz im considering taking my rears out, but i quite frequently have 4 ppl in the car...

poid
01-06-2004, 06:20 PM
LoL i dont know what its like, and i dont really care :D

The front stage has about 160WRMS per side so it should be OK i think

**PIMPIN**ACCORD
01-06-2004, 08:27 PM
Having no speakers in the rear is shit, you get no treble (especially when you have 2x12''s sitting 30cm behind you)...If your planning on running subs, 6x9's are a waste of time...I put some 3 way JBL's in mine and they fit snug..not sure what size they are but :S...I put some 3 way pioneers in the front and the magnets are too big for the brackets...so i got the hobby knife out and mangled the brackets :D....Im in the process of putting the headunit in...ive had some troubles but FHRX has helped me as i went..(thanks dude)...anyway ill post some pics up later when is finished...

poid
01-06-2004, 08:42 PM
you do get treble when you have a good front stage ;)

It should be coming from the front anyway, not the rear

Dominik
01-06-2004, 09:24 PM
Hey, while on the topic of subs (sort of!), has anyone experimented with subwoofer placement in the boot? I just picked up a set of boxed 12"s, and i am wondering how to get the best bass out of them...

Has anyone cut out the section behind the rear arm rest to aid sound transfer?

Calvo
01-06-2004, 09:26 PM
lol dont cut out the arm rest part. lol.

Bol
01-06-2004, 09:39 PM
Now that we are on the topic of speakers...

What are the size limits (diametre and depth)?
Where about is the crossover for the splits?
How do i get to the tweeters (to remove/unplug) them?

A tutorial would be heaps good

I'm asking about the 5th gen, but i'm sure most will be similar.

**PIMPIN**ACCORD: Pics would be great.

Calvo
01-06-2004, 09:55 PM
u can fit 6in splits in the stock door pods, but u'll most likely need a custom spacer, and also watch out wat kinda speakers u buy coz u dont have much depth to play with. make sure magnet isnt too big or ur windows aint gonna come down. i think i measured 46mm or so in depth from the stock spacers to the window when its wound down.

the stock tweeters rnt clipped in, they r just placed on corner of ur front windshield. just lift em and they will pop out. they r a bit awkward to reach, but do-able. dont think u'll fit any aftermarket tweeters there tho.

Bol
01-06-2004, 10:24 PM
u can fit 6in splits in the stock door pods, but u'll most likely need a custom spacer, and also watch out wat kinda speakers u buy coz u dont have much depth to play with. make sure magnet isnt too big or ur windows aint gonna come down. i think i measured 46mm or so in depth from the stock spacers to the window when its wound down.

the stock tweeters rnt clipped in, they r just placed on corner of ur front windshield. just lift em and they will pop out. they r a bit awkward to reach, but do-able. dont think u'll fit any aftermarket tweeters there tho.

Ok thanks.

I'm getting 6 1/2 inch splits with mounting depth of 65 mm.

Do you think something like this will do the trick.

(hey are 6 inch but might still work :? )

http://www.strathfield.com.au/Product.asp?ProdID=230

Dominik
01-06-2004, 10:49 PM
Ok, so what is wrong with cutting a hole in that panel behind the armrest? Could be like a ski-port?

Anyway, my next question is whether there is any tutorials or info on doing installs in Accords? I will be getting my headunit soon, and i want to wire it all up myself (as if i trust anyone else to do it! haha). I would love to know stock wire colours, and how to pull apart the dash etc..

Also, when running a power wire from the front of the car, any tips on how to get through the firewall? Suggested wire route?

Lemme know if i should post this in a new post...

Calvo
01-06-2004, 10:52 PM
Ok thanks.

I'm getting 6 1/2 inch splits with mounting depth of 65 mm.

Do you think something like this will do the trick.

(hey are 6 inch but might still work :? )

http://www.strathfield.com.au/Product.asp?ProdID=230
yeh u'll need a new spacer. dunno if thats the exact one u'll need, but something along those lines.
i had custom spacers made up for me by the ppl who installed my audio gear. (a friend of mine).

razaman
01-06-2004, 10:55 PM
[quote="Dominik"]
Anyway, my next question is whether there is any tutorials or info on doing installs in Accords?quote]

http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs/Honda/Accord.html

Raz (it's close!)

Dominik
01-06-2004, 11:57 PM
Sweet, thanks!

poid
02-06-2004, 08:19 AM
you dont need to cut a hole in the arm rest area, the transfer of bass is good enough as it is. Low frequency waves travel through that thin metal no problems :)

Easiest wiring route i found was through the main loom. Its on the drivers side, look behind the fuse box in the engine and you'll see where the wiring goes. I have routed everything that goes from the engine bay to inside the car through there.

Spoon-Accord
02-06-2004, 08:30 AM
hey guys
i am installing my headunit tonight..(yes again for the 5th time in 4 months)
i'll post up pictures of the install
(yes i do it at home)

cheers guys

Ken

h22a accord
02-06-2004, 08:31 AM

I put 170w kenwood splits in my 5th gen and i had to cut the back off the speaker baffle ( so there was space for the magnet ) and i also mounted the tweeters to the factory tweeter covers. the crossovers i put behind the kick panels.

kenwood 2 way 6x9 170w in the rear parcel shelf. the biggest jaycar 4 channel amp mounted to the back of the rear seat ( takes up a good part of the seat lol) 4 g power lead and fuse from battery, Pioneer 12" sub in the boot.

i have the sub running off 2 channels bridged and the speakers running off the other 2 channels in parallell.

Got a JVC mp3 player i picked up O/S for an awesome price.

Setup sounds pretty good for the amount of money ive spent on it ......wouldnt you agree Calvo?

Dominik
02-06-2004, 09:03 AM
Thanks Ken and Poid... I'll start wiring the amp power cables and RCAs today, and hopefully i can complete the headunit install this weekend (i am looking forward to your pics Ken!)

I do remember with my mate's accord that the bass was much louder when the rear sear was folded down. Thats why i figured i would help the sound transfer with the hole!

As for my system, it will be a Kenwood mask unit powering the stock speakers (for now!), and an RF Punch40 (oldschool extra low impedance model - had power ratings down to 1/4ohm listed on the box!), running bridged, and 2 boxed Kenwood 12" subs running parallel on that output (1ohm load to the amp).

For visuals, that will be a surprise - hoping to get it done by the cruise, but i have a few other things i want to do first! (lowering... Poid??)

toE
02-06-2004, 11:17 AM
Dom - i reckon u should experiment with the arm rest panel on first, then if you're not satisfied, cut it out. that way, you wont regret cutting the arm rest panel out. :)

i reckon the bass transfer is sufficient thru the metal. :)

i find i've got enuff, but then again, i've got a 15" sub. :lol:

Calvo
02-06-2004, 11:53 AM
yeh cam, ur system sounds good for wat ya got.

Spoon-Accord
02-06-2004, 02:23 PM
here u go guys..
pictures of my installation..
dam.. pioneer do make good headunits..
i am in love with this one..
its got everything i need. simple.. classy..

http://img71.photobucket.com/albums/v216/spoon-accord/DSC01178.jpg
here is a picture of the console.. after taken out the old headunit... omg.. watta bad sight.. :(

http://img71.photobucket.com/albums/v216/spoon-accord/DSC01179.jpg
here is a picture of the bracket.. notice theres no holes or anything for u to bolt ur headunit onto this thing..

http://img71.photobucket.com/albums/v216/spoon-accord/DSC01180.jpg
so my dad came up with this "asian" idea.. do it the easy way..
drilled holes into the thing.. and bam.. stay on the console stiff..
also made is harder the the thiefs(even impossible)

http://img71.photobucket.com/albums/v216/spoon-accord/DSC01181.jpg
another view of the bracket holding the headunit..

http://img71.photobucket.com/albums/v216/spoon-accord/DSC01184.jpg
and heres the finished product..
(closed mode)

http://img71.photobucket.com/albums/v216/spoon-accord/DSC01186.jpg
Open mode!!!

http://img71.photobucket.com/albums/v216/spoon-accord/DSC01185.jpg
close up!!

well its done by me..
i didn't expect it to be 100% perfect..
so yeh..

:P~~~
i like it tho

thankz for reading

Ken

Bol
02-06-2004, 04:38 PM
You have a silver console? Mines black.

And where is says "Accord" is that storage or what?

And what does that button do to the right of the clock?

Spoon-Accord
02-06-2004, 07:30 PM
yep mines painted silver...

accord used to be a compartment..
but its just cardboard with accord symbol
and last.. not least.. thats no button on right.. its the alarm Diode

ken

razaman
02-06-2004, 07:45 PM
Cheers for the pics. Looks good. Man I can't believe you took out the whole centre consol and mounting bracket :P

I don't have the balls for that! But the idea of attaching it to the console is brilliant.

What did the beast of a HU cost you?

Raz

poid
02-06-2004, 07:57 PM
if you wanna get the HU in there properly its necessary. Its very easy to do though :)

Bol
02-06-2004, 07:59 PM
Did you paint it?

If yes, then what did you use and does it look good in the flesh?

Spoon-Accord
02-06-2004, 09:32 PM
yeh.. i used wheel paint.. its very durable..
if u wanted it to look more better.. i just used gloss on top..
looks pretty good

the headunit costed me 400 bux.. which was a bargain.. since it retails for 1.3k

ken

Bol
02-06-2004, 09:42 PM
I might paint it one day.

$400, where from?

Dominik
02-06-2004, 11:16 PM
Ken, thanks for that, it answers alot of questions i had. i'll do yje same thing when i install mine!

does anyone know if the gap is big enough for 2 x 1DIN units?

toE
02-06-2004, 11:20 PM
shld be enuff.

poid
03-06-2004, 08:11 AM
yeh its big enough for 2 DIN size

Calvo
03-06-2004, 12:41 PM
that is a double din slot.

lol ken u syko, take out the whole farkin console.

mines similar to that, but i bolted my security bracket, that came with my headunit, to the console. so i can just remove my headunit with the keys i have, instead of pulling out whole frickin console.

Spoon-Accord
03-06-2004, 12:47 PM
hey man.. thats only middle console..
i took out the whole dashboard before.. to wire up the alarm and a few bits and pieces.. its fun :D

also.. before i had single DIN's in this car.. i had a DOUBLE DIN alpine headunit..
fits perfectly.. looks better too..
but ohh well wat the heck..

u gotta pull the console out..

1.makes ur headunit sit perfect
2. sit secure
3.thiefs cant hack it(only if they take the whole console)
4.looks good in the end.. and ur happy and safe

do it once!!
do it right!!

Ken

Bol
03-06-2004, 11:11 PM
Going back to speakers...

If i made something like this out of wood (black), and screw (green) the speaker (blue) into it, would this solve the depth problem.

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?pic=060308064442572.jpg

EDIT: Direct link doesnt seem to show pic, just go here http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?pic=060308064442572.jpg

This being the speaker:

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/images/4x4/RC620.JPG

urtwhistle
03-06-2004, 11:58 PM
hmmm should take a couple of pics of my setup tommorow i dont mind gloating a litte :)
i got a 92 accord
with diamond m541s splits in the front
lanzar cadmium 6.5's in the back
lanzar vibrants 2x10's in the back
blaupunkt mpa5 amp
alphasonik pma4075 amp
jvc mp3 deck

all in all its a fairly nice litttle system, not the bigest but i went for quality over quantity.

toE
04-06-2004, 12:13 AM
Bol - that's a spacer you're essentially making. and yes, if it doesnt protrude out too much that it deters you from replacing the OEM grill and/or blocking the window, it will solve the problem. good luck and do do an article if u decide to go ahead. :)

sweet speakers you've chosen there btw. :)

Dominik
04-06-2004, 12:39 AM
Well, i have *just* come back from installing a Kenwood headunit in my car (I started at 9:30pm), and i have to say that would be one of the most annoying cars that i have ever done an install on!

Sure, you can take the headunit out easily, but i couldnt find any way of securing the headunit properly, other than how Ken did it above... Even then i dont know how well it will hold onto the unit. Give me a Toyota or a Nissan anyday. At least they have proper mounting brackets!

But i still love my Accord :)

I'm gonna try to figure out a way of adapting a toyota bracket to the accord... It has to be possible!

toE
04-06-2004, 01:33 AM
just make up a custom bracket la.. :lol:

razaman
04-06-2004, 07:03 AM
Well, i have *just* come back from installing a Kenwood headunit in my car (I started at 9:30pm), and i have to say that would be one of the most annoying cars that i have ever done an install on!

Sure, you can take the headunit out easily, but i couldnt find any way of securing the headunit properly, other than how Ken did it above... Even then i dont know how well it will hold onto the unit. Give me a Toyota or a Nissan anyday. At least they have proper mounting brackets!

Hahaha

I said the same damn thing at the beginning of this topic. It's a total pain in the ass. I managed to secure mine - not as good as if it was screwed in but I thought I did a half decent job.

Raz

Calvo
04-06-2004, 09:12 AM
my friend who done mine, (they're audio installers) used a pot rivot gun to secure my security braket in place.
makes it nice and firm, and virtually impossible to remove (well easily anyway)

Spoon-Accord
04-06-2004, 09:52 AM
hey dom i'll take some pictures of my front speakers and spacers as well.
just to show u how i made them..

ken

Spoon-Accord
04-06-2004, 09:52 AM
hey dom i'll take some pictures of my front speakers and spacers as well.
just to show u how i made them..

ken

Dominik
04-06-2004, 10:19 AM
Haha, thanks... I'm usually pretty crafty with stuff like that (put a stereo in my mum's old Subaru that previously only had a 10cm deep AM radio with 3 speakers!).

Actually, if the Toyota bracket cant be made to fit, perhaps i will make one out of MDF, which can be screwed to the metal bracket like you have done (coz there is a 5-10mm gap betw that metal bracket you showed and my headunit).

But the stock speakers seem pretty good! Maybe i'm getting old, but they seem to go loud enough to hurt my ears while still sounding very clear...

Just needs a *little* extra bass (hence the 2 x 12s in the boot atm)

Spoon-Accord
04-06-2004, 10:40 AM
atm.. i got Alpine type-R's in the front doors.. i picked them up for like dirt cheap too..
6 1/2 diameter.. and i couldnt get them in..
due to the fact the actual speaker itself was long too.. magnet was big.. but the length of it didnt attach to the stock mount..

so i went to bunnings bought some MDF.. made the same shape as the stock mount.. its thicker then the old stock mount which i wanted.. so the basket of the woofer didnt hit the door..

sorry guys if it looks boodgy.. but it does the job.. no one will be looking behind here anyways..
http://img71.photobucket.com/albums/v216/spoon-accord/DSC01208.jpg
http://img71.photobucket.com/albums/v216/spoon-accord/DSC01209.jpg
http://img71.photobucket.com/albums/v216/spoon-accord/DSC01211.jpg
http://img71.photobucket.com/albums/v216/spoon-accord/DSC01212.jpg

there u go dom..
Ken

Dominik
04-06-2004, 11:18 AM
Mate, go into Strathfield and put down 10k for a fullhouse show system. And when you pull off the door trims it the pods would look the same if not worse!

Car audio is all about external appearance. Underneath it is all twisted wires and bodgy wooden panels!

I actually think your spacers look good! I'll probably upgrade the fronts too one day... As son as someone does a tutorial *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*

urtwhistle
04-06-2004, 11:47 AM
i used the same technique with mdf spacers in my door but for the opisit i have 4' in the front that i couldant get to fit in the standard mounts.
even know there 4's they go extremly hard.

Bol
04-06-2004, 05:07 PM
Spoon Accord ....

Could you take a picture of the speakers with the door trim back on and everything in the right place, i just want to see the final appearance.

thanks.

urtwhistle
09-06-2004, 07:34 PM
heres some pics of my car
http://members.iinet.net.au/~urty/camera/istjune%20carpics/

and if u like stupid random pics try some of these
http://members.iinet.net.au/~urty/link.htm

arrr the joys of growing up

toE
09-06-2004, 11:47 PM
:lol: :lol:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~urty/camera/istjune%20carpics/P1010012.JPG

Does dat mean Kimbi isnt allowed?? :lol: :lol:

urtwhistle
10-06-2004, 02:29 PM
heheheh yes if kimbi is fat lol.
i mounted my cross over in my center console 1 on each side of the inside of were the hand break is, my cross overs were to big to fit any were else and noyt be seen

morgz84
15-02-2005, 07:11 PM
Hey could someone give me some info and tips on installing new front speakers in a gen4. I want to replace the stock ones with some Kenwood KFC-10695's, i particularly need some help on removing the door trims without breaking the clips

subwayboy
16-02-2005, 12:23 PM
Hey guys,
When installing my headunit into a 5th gen accord, i had the same problems as you guys have mentioned, i went to the local audio store (being good mates with the owner) asked his help, he went out the back and got a bracket made by aerpro for the 5th gen accord that you assemble and then srew in and you have a spot for the deck to slide into.
I also have made fiberglass door pods, that sit benith the stock trim but angle my speakers up to obtaina better front stage.
Any question ask away.

smoknhothonda
16-02-2005, 07:13 PM
I have had 2 Pioneer head units in my 5th Gen and they have just screwed in through the original holes on the bracket :rolleyes: