PDA

View Full Version : Conversions

civ
02-10-2003, 12:04 AM
Hey guys... i have been on this forum for a little bit now but am yet to post... i was wondering if you could help me out a little..
i am currently researching/contemplating an engine conversion for my 98 civic vti coupe... and was wondering what you guys thought? i have considered the normal B16A and then go forced induction... but i was also wondering about a H22A conversion?? i have heard that it is hard to do this conversion whilst keeping the air conditioning and power steering... but i also know of a company here in bris that has already done one of these conversions and kept both of these...
so preaty much if you could help me out with some personal information that you might have on these conversions... or any other suggestions for that matter... please type away!
thanks alot guys
travis

Setanta
02-10-2003, 12:22 AM
Telling us which car would help ;)

H22 into a 4th gen is a bad idea - you have to cut away a lot of sheetmetal. Into a 5th or 6th gen is possible but it affects weight distribution badly. A better move is the B20 from the CRV or a B18C

proscoonie
02-10-2003, 01:09 AM
Hey dude what is the company in bris that does the h22a conversion?

CustomCivic
02-10-2003, 08:32 AM
hey my brother got the h22a conversion done on his 97 civic hatch. they kept his air con and his power steering no problems. he got it done at Ares Speed. its the green honda civic with gold flames up the side if youve seen it before it was at brisbane autosalon.

Setanta
02-10-2003, 08:35 AM
heheh - why is it that as soon as someone says a car was at a autosalon I immediately lose respect for it? :twisted: :lol: :twisted:

J/K - well maybe

At the strip or on the track yeah - but the autosalon???? :P

CustomCivic
02-10-2003, 08:39 AM
whats wrong with autosalon?

Setanta
02-10-2003, 08:53 AM
The top cars are usually the best that your drug money can build and in general the cars are too overdone for my taste.

Personal choice, but I have no respect for show ponies and all the respect in the world for working class track and strip cars.

aZZ
02-10-2003, 10:27 AM
well thats your personal choice, but you cant come out saying that most of the cars drug money has paid for, thats just not right and in my opinion pisses me off, cause its the people who work hard and save every cent to make their car what they want it to look and go like. and if anyone acused me of being a drug dealer just beacuse in their "personal" opinion of how my car looked, then i would "personaly" give them a good farkin hit up side the head.

vti-2
02-10-2003, 10:31 AM
Let's keep this on topic. Personal opinions on show cars and drug money won't help civ with his engine conversion.

SLAVE
02-10-2003, 11:10 AM
The top cars are usually the best that your drug money can build and in general the cars are too overdone for my taste.

Personal choice, but I have no respect for show ponies and all the respect in the world for working class track and strip cars.

Drugs? I thought the current trend was fraud??? All usually bad anyways... like the guys with the killer skylines etc and they work part time at a fast food store...

BTW, dude, why do you have a link to THESE forums in your sig???

Setanta
02-10-2003, 11:22 AM
...and if anyone acused me of being a drug dealer just beacuse in their "personal" opinion of how my car looked, then i would "personaly" give them a good farkin hit up side the head.

Then you'd get in a lot of trouble for assault over failing to read exactly what had been said and getting over emotional over misconstruing something that had never been said in the first place. :)

Back on track: I did a little research and while the H22A swap is possible and mounts are made in the US for it - people are shying away from it in favour of the CRVTEC alternative. Mostly because the CRV bolt in is easier and provides better weight displacement. Bolting on the "B" series head with forged internals etc seems to make a better all-round package.

Slave - I always knew you were smart

civ
02-10-2003, 12:41 PM
Yep the place i was talking about was ares sound in Bris i had a look over the conversion in the civic hatch with andrew... and it looks very neat... but i have never heard of this crvtec conversion... what is the go with that? Does anyone have any sort of power figures etc.. cause the thing that attracted me to the h22a was the power to weight ratio.
keep the thoughts coming please ppl!
thanks
travis

proscoonie
02-10-2003, 03:04 PM
I have a 92 EG civic, I dunno if I really can retain the aircon and ps cause the engine bay would be slighly smaller in them then EK's etc. I hear people doing a CRV b20 block with the b16a head combo, but costs quite a bit though. Although you get 180 to 190kw :P

Civic Type R
02-10-2003, 03:20 PM
Currently in the States, they are working on the CRV 2.4lt CRV block and mating that to the K20A DC5 ITR head :P :shock:

If you are going turbo then go get an Integra LS engine. They have longer gears for the turbo to spool up. If you want to stay NA then grab a B series engine - preferably a DOHC VTEC version.

In my opinion, Type R engines are overpriced. You can achieve better and stronger results with the build of a B20VTEC. :wink:

civ
02-10-2003, 03:40 PM
OK from the replies... it seem s as though you seem to b recommending that i go the way of the B20 vtec. Now is this something that i can just go and buy a half cut for or will i have to buy the things sererately? Sorry for all the questions.. i just want to get a really good all round engine in my car.
thanks alot guys
travis

vti-2
02-10-2003, 03:57 PM
A B20 halfcut should be significantly cheaper than a H22A... :mrgreen:

Not sure about prices though, probably about $1k for a complete B20 engine.

LatinoHatchCrap
02-10-2003, 08:29 PM
I hear people doing a CRV b20 block with the b16a head combo, but costs quite a bit though. Although you get 180 to 190kw :P

man thats absolut (sp?) bullshit!!! where the hell is the source where you

got that inofrmation from??? more like 200-210whp and thats after you've

spent a shitload on upgrading the head and the block...

civ
02-10-2003, 10:08 PM
So i should just go and get the B20 front cut.... which is out of a crv, and put that in my 98 civic??? will i need to get some mounts or will it all line up? how would this compare to just doing the b16A?
thanks for all your help guys
travis

EG5
02-10-2003, 11:15 PM
So i should just go and get the B20 front cut.... which is out of a crv, and put that in my 98 civic??? will i need to get some mounts or will it all line up? how would this compare to just doing the b16A?
thanks for all your help guys
travis

do b18c from VTIR(170hp) or jdm dc2 si (180hp) or b18c from type r integra (200hp)

b18c got more torque and power compared to b16a ....

H22a is just too complicated and heavy engine for civic...

just my 2cents

LatinoHatchCrap
03-10-2003, 06:33 PM
A B20 halfcut should be significantly cheaper than a H22A... :mrgreen:

Not sure about prices though, probably about $1k for a complete B20 engine.
way more than that im afraid + finding it its another issue...IMO be

patient play your cards right...not trying to flame but it seems to me like

you need to increase your knowledge about the bseries swaps before you

put yourself in the market for one...trust me man! in this hobby

knowledge is just as valuable as money because if you dont know shit

about wot your buying you prob wont get wot u wanted or you might get

ripped off and loose $$$$$ in the process :o

take my advice and keep saving your dollars 'cose a b-series swap

doesnt come cheap and at the same time visit http://www.honda-

tech.com and start by searching under all topics related to swaps

I can tell you right now it'll be easier to find a b16a from a SIRII than a

b18c (either j-spec or oz-spec) the're rare and guys in the states pay up

to 3200USD which in turn is about 5,500AUD so dont think it comes cheap

but LOOK FOR A BARGAIN 'cose they're out there JUST BE

PATIENT :wink:

good luck

Joe

Setanta
03-10-2003, 09:07 PM
Chuck (ALLMTR) is running 12s over the 1/4 mile with CRVTEC in his stripped '84 Civic. As I recollect, he did it all properly and hasn't looked back. That's why I suggested it.

TiMy
04-10-2003, 07:22 PM
AUTOSALON IS FULLI SICK AND THE GREEN CIVIC WITH FLAMES EARNS MAXIMUM RESPECT so does ur's custom civic and a great job YOU guys have done on them !

LatinoHatchCrap
04-10-2003, 11:00 PM
AUTOSALON IS FULLI SICK AND THE GREEN CIVIC WITH FLAMES EARNS MAXIMUM RESPECT so does ur's custom civic and a great job YOU guys have done on them ! pfffttt!!!! :?

Rufes1
04-10-2003, 11:34 PM
AUTOSALON IS FULLI SICK AND THE GREEN CIVIC WITH FLAMES EARNS MAXIMUM RESPECT so does ur's custom civic and a great job YOU guys have done on them !

OMG BRO!!!!!!!!! ffs :evil: :lol:

Start by sourcing a B20(b)? half cut out of the crv. Try local honda wreckers and just get prices to see what your looking at (possibly $2.5k - $3k). Depending where you go and who you know for that intall your looking at atleast $2.5k for labour and part, engine mounts etc. Less if say your brother in law is a mechanic :roll: ...

once you've got that in and seen how it goes and still not happy with the power of the 2ltr then you can look at putting the b16a head on it which will provide alot more power gains however not that easy to do.

AT the end its up to you and how much money you have. If you plan on getting a mechanic to put the b20 in for you I wouldnt even start considering it unless you have atleast 5k handy.

Cheers,
Matt

Setanta
05-10-2003, 10:37 PM

ROFLMAO - I didn't realise that people actually spoke like that in real life :lol: :lol: :lol:

Calvo
05-10-2003, 10:51 PM
haha u've got to be kidding aye?
lol i still cant stop laffffffffing. hahaha. sorry to be rude. but thats some funny sh!t.

which is the engine from teg vtir and type r? B18C? and B18C?

LatinoHatchCrap
05-10-2003, 10:57 PM
hummm...

tinkerbell
07-10-2003, 12:01 PM
i know where to get several B20B1 and B20B4 blocks, at good prices!

I can also build a B20VTEC too, (for the right price)

VTEC heads are a little harder to come by...

any series B16A head is good, or a B18C head from VTIR can be good too (slightly higher compression ratio)

WTF are people saying to get a B20 half cut from a CRV for????

you really need a B16A EG front cut to swap it all in, these cost about 2500 from importers, start calling around...

then get a good workshop to fit it (or fit it yourself and save $$$)

anyways, thats enough from me, good luck :)

Setanta
07-10-2003, 11:11 PM
hey tinkerbell - given that I already have an EF9 with B16A - if I got a short block, how much else would need to be done other than reconditioning the head?

I've never looked into it but am thinking it might be a nice "mod" :)

A'PEXi
07-10-2003, 11:38 PM
theres a honda wrecker in nerang.. you could try them :)

tinkerbell
08-10-2003, 10:52 AM
hey tinkerbell - given that I already have an EF9 with B16A - if I got a short block, how much else would need to be done other than reconditioning the head?

I've never looked into it but am thinking it might be a nice "mod" :)

mate, it IS a VERY nice mod - like 25kw, much like the biggest power getter you can do besides forced induction!!!

you need time, new head studs (ARP), some machine work on the head & pistons, a VTEC oil line to the head, new B20 head gasket, B18C timing belt, some new head seals, and soem other stuff like oil and new filters...

all up when i went from my B16A to B20VTEC it cost me $1200 in parts and took a few weeks (it helped that i had a spare head to work on, and that i did all the work myself...)

i got the block for 1600 from NZ, as none could be had in australia at that time...

BTW, a EF9 with B20VTEC woudl be insane! easy 13's!

ALLMTR
08-10-2003, 06:58 PM
BTW, a EF9 with B20VTEC woudl be insane! easy 13's!

Agreed!!

Setanta
08-10-2003, 11:38 PM
Uh oh - Chuck has just spotted me moving to the dark side ;)

TY for the info tinkerbell - I'm giving this serious thought compared to doing the usual mods that get minimal response :)

ALLMTR
09-10-2003, 07:17 PM
Wait til Jan 1st and I'll sell you a complete drivetrain and Microtech that'll get your car into the 12's and with only 10.5 to 1 comp and you can still drive to and from Melbourne!!!