PDA

View Full Version : windscreen repairs. anyone had any exp.

nugget666
11-09-2006, 04:50 PM
Driving along and a dirty big F**CKING ROck hit my windscree nand has put a monster chip and a few crack lines in it. right in the middle of my windscreen. alot of cursing came out of my mouth when it happend and it still is.

anyone know about places that can repair them? and what point there beyond repair

pictures wil be up when camera isnt dead.

incoming
11-09-2006, 04:51 PM
give windscreens obrien a try

edit: seriously

aaronng
11-09-2006, 05:03 PM
I agree. I had a windscreen replacement from O'Brien as well. You call them, and the next day they come over to your place! They bring their own power and stuff, all you need is a parking lot for 2. I parked at the loading zone at uni and the good chap went and replaced the windscreen! Ask for new weather stripping too. Total cost was $250-300 I think.

SLOWEGG
11-09-2006, 05:05 PM
Call obrien or novus, they will tell you what needs to be done.

nugget666
11-09-2006, 05:14 PM
yeah if i need to replace im not going to bother. as if it happens again i will cry.

i heard they can repair chips though dependent on how bad they are i guess.

aaronng
11-09-2006, 05:19 PM
There are rules for where the cracks are if you want to repair them. Since yours is in the middle of your view, no repair can be done legally. Best to replace.

Ask them if the replacement glass is tougher. Our Astra's stock windscreen was pathetic. The replacement Pilkington one from O'Brien is heaps good! No stone chips when driving on the freeway! My Euro's oem windscreen has many tiny stonechips after only 2 years.

nugget666
11-09-2006, 05:29 PM
There are rules for where the cracks are if you want to repair them. Since yours is in the middle of your view, no repair can be done legally. Best to replace.

Ask them if the replacement glass is tougher. Our Astra's stock windscreen was pathetic. The replacement Pilkington one from O'Brien is heaps good! No stone chips when driving on the freeway! My Euro's oem windscreen has many tiny stonechips after only 2 years.

ahh ok its on my side of the rear view mirror line. so maybe thats classed as to far into my line of sight.

when they fix them up does it leave somthing there? or just weaken in the post witch makes it illegal?

aaronng
11-09-2006, 05:34 PM
ahh ok its on my side of the rear view mirror line. so maybe thats classed as to far into my line of sight.

when they fix them up does it leave somthing there? or just weaken in the post witch makes it illegal?
You can't notice it if they repair a chip. But if it is a crack, you can see distortion. There is a limit to the length of the crack as well.

Here are the details: http://www.obrienglass.com.au/services/easyrepairguide.asp

Honda Enthusiast
11-09-2006, 05:41 PM
Note: If you have insurance, I would check your policy first - as you may have 1 excess-free Windscreen claim per year - if this is the case, you can claim, get your windscreen repaired FOR FREE!

Good luck! Either check your policy wording or call your insurer!

nugget666
11-09-2006, 06:10 PM
Note: If you have insurance, I would check your policy first - as you may have 1 excess-free Windscreen claim per year - if this is the case, you can claim, get your windscreen repaired FOR FREE!

Good luck! Either check your policy wording or call your insurer!

im with just cars so anyone know?

nugget666
11-09-2006, 06:12 PM
You can't notice it if they repair a chip. But if it is a crack, you can see distortion. There is a limit to the length of the crack as well.

Here are the details: http://www.obrienglass.com.au/services/easyrepairguide.asp

thats help... juding by that the critical area is only teh steering wheel upwards i should be pretty safe i just dont know what kind of damage it is lol there names are fuxord.

I tryed to rep+ you but says i got to spread it around or somthing :|

Alpine
11-09-2006, 06:32 PM
Do you belong to RACQ as well? If you decide to go to O'Briens for a replacement, they offer RACQ members a discount. Can't remember the percentage but it's not too shabby. Good luck.

DreadAngel
11-09-2006, 06:42 PM
I recently used a intro coupon and had 2 chips done for half price, so damn good you can't notice it. However the chip must be smaller than a 10c coin from memory, the waiting wasn't long either...

nugget666
11-09-2006, 07:21 PM
I recently used a intro coupon and had 2 chips done for half price, so damn good you can't notice it. However the chip must be smaller than a 10c coin from memory, the waiting wasn't long either...

mine would be pretty on par with a 10cent peice.

DreadAngel
11-09-2006, 07:49 PM
Hmmm..., take it to them, have them do their best cause the longer it is, the harder it is to remove (I was told that hahaha) One of my chips has been completely removed, not there anymore the other is an old one, most of it removed, only like a fraction left but the guys reassured me that it won't spread, if it does, $$$ back...

Honda Enthusiast
11-09-2006, 10:53 PM
im with just cars so anyone know?

Not sure mate....ring and ask your insurer mate!