PDA

View Full Version : help with replacing keys?

rollin_high
11-09-2006, 05:23 PM
for a 98 gli civic,first generation red key system is there any way of getting a another black key programmed into the system if the orignal red has been lost.Or do you need to get the whole complete system replaced.

Limbo
11-09-2006, 05:50 PM
don't need the red key. That's doesn't have the immobliser unit you need anyway.

If your in sydney take the black key to buffallo in west ryde, it cost me about $80 to get it cut and programmed

Fr3aKi3
11-09-2006, 05:53 PM
Do you have any key's left at all? Like a black one which can start the car?

If you've still got a key which can start the car then call up some key cutting places or lock smiths and ask them if they can cut key's with immobiliser chips. It should cost around 70-100 to get done.

When I got my car (99 ek1) I only had one black key but I got another one cut and programmed and it works like a charm. If you don't have any keys left at all then no idea, probably have to go back to Honda.

shinji112
12-09-2006, 10:37 AM
or theres the locksmith on cabramatta road near Brescia furniture.. thats where i did it.. cost like $70

panda[cRx]
12-09-2006, 01:46 PM
bahhh i hate red keys, and that's coming from someone that works in dealer service lol.

if you have lost all of the keys incl the red key then a dealer will tell u that u need the whole thing replaced.... however if you still have a black key i'm pretty sure most reputable locksmiths should be able to copy the immobilser code from the black key. just make sure u get your key code from your honda dealer for when they cut it (better than cutting from old worn key)

note to anyone with red key system: don't keep your red key in the glovebox with your service manual.... red key systems can be expensive to replace.

tinkerbell
14-09-2006, 03:32 PM
If your in sydney take the black key to buffallo in west ryde, it cost me about $80 to get it cut and programmed

good one! thanks for the name :)

Buffalo Lock & Key Pty Ltd
1 Princes Street
RYDE NSW 2112
Telephone: 02 9809 0294

just spoke to them, they do it in 5 mins, and cost is now $88 and they are open saturday! :thumbsup:

bevis90
14-09-2006, 04:33 PM
juss wondering if you can start the car witht he red key

panda[cRx]
14-09-2006, 04:48 PM
juss wondering if you can start the car witht he red key

nah you cant, but you can open the doors with it.
the red key is just for programming other keys.

as previously said, clone your existing black key at any decent locksmith (depending on year of vehicle afaik)
at most places it will cost you $85-90. they can't clone on to genuine honda keys so don't buy those, they use their own non-gen key.