PDA

View Full Version : odd knocking noise

solitz
11-09-2006, 07:09 PM
hi guys
i think i have a problem on my integra.... i was turning 2day at about ~25km/h and then i hear this knocking noise from my car. the noise occurs when im turning the steering wheel, but sometimes i also hear that noise when im driving on a flat bit of road, but on the flat bit of road the noise is very infrequent
do you think it could be my CV boots are worn or another issue (eg engine mounts).

bigjo5
11-09-2006, 07:17 PM
ur cv joints goin... look under ur car and if ur cv boots are broken most likely the joints gone

edit: your cv boots dont wear out.. they just crack and break which leeds to all the grease commin out and splits around ur rims

solitz
11-09-2006, 07:21 PM
thanks for the quick reply mate...is it expnsive to pick up new cv boots?

bigjo5
11-09-2006, 07:34 PM
nah teh cv boots dont cost taht much.. but since u said u hear a knocking noise when u turn i figure ur cv joints are busted.. which cost about $100-$150 for just the part. the boot doesnt cost that much only about $10-$15

solitz
11-09-2006, 09:31 PM
do you think i can get away with just chaning the CV boots atm...or would i have to go and change the whole CV joint assembly?

Limbo
11-09-2006, 11:53 PM
the cost of CV joints are mostly labour. I got myself a pair of CV joint for like $150 a pair last time but its just taking them off that's a pain.

bigjo5
12-09-2006, 06:30 PM
the cost of CV joints are mostly labour. I got myself a pair of CV joint for like $150 a pair last time but its just taking them off that's a pain.

hondas pretty easy to do..

Int3gra-T
12-09-2006, 06:47 PM
nah man
by the sounds of it its your wheel bearing.
i just fixed mine.
it cost 90 + bucks for the part,
and about 2 hours labour.

Int3gra-T
12-09-2006, 06:48 PM
they should be able to pick the sound by hoisting your car up and spinning the wheel and it should grind etc.

bigjo5
12-09-2006, 07:42 PM
they should be able to pick the sound by hoisting your car up and spinning the wheel and it should grind etc.

it cant be the wheel bearings cause he said it only happens when it turns and its a knocking sound not a grinding sound which the wheel bearing makes..

Int3gra-T
12-09-2006, 07:45 PM
but wheel bearings happen more when u turn
and u can hear it when it is going straight
and it doesnt grind
it has a knock
just try it solitz its worth a shot before u go ahead with the cv install

panda[cRx]
12-09-2006, 07:55 PM

IF it is the driveshafts and if you are not comfortable doing it yourself and will pay a dealer/workshop to replace it, think about changeover driveshafts. they cost about the same (more in parts but less in labour so equals out and takes less time)

take it to a workshop you are comfortable with or your local dealer and get a tech/mechanic to roadtest around t he block with you driving to suss out what the sound is. they shouldnt charge you at all :thumbsup:

solitz
12-09-2006, 08:30 PM
ok i had a look 2day at the car...the engine mounts are fine and the CV boots are all intact.
int3gra-T ill try and hoist up the car on the weekend and spinning the wheels.
if it is the wheel bearings are they costly to replace coz i was shocked about the price of the CV joints about about 150'ish for the part.

Int3gra-T
12-09-2006, 11:05 PM
nah not really man
u got the same car as me.
and it shouldnt cost more than 250

solitz
13-09-2006, 04:01 PM
if it is the wheel bearings...is it dangerous to drive around in this condition?

aaronng
13-09-2006, 04:28 PM
if it is the wheel bearings...is it dangerous to drive around in this condition?
Wheel bearings don't really knock when you turn. They have a "whirrrr" sound that just gets faster as the car goes faster. Eventually they grind. Knocking should come from the CV joint or a loose exhaust.

Limbo
13-09-2006, 07:43 PM
Wheel bearing make more noise as you slow down, well mine did anyway.
On a quite street which is quite large do a full lock turn to one side and drive at about 10km, you should note a knocking sound, bump bump bump all the way. If not try the other way. If its the CVs it will always do it cos the spleens are worn. The wheel bearings only do it intermidately when they knock not all the time.

You can't see if the CVs are broken, they are inside the boot, what yor looking at is just a boot cover.

bennjamin
13-09-2006, 07:45 PM
umm...did you check that all your wheel nuts are tight ?

solitz
13-09-2006, 07:52 PM
yeah i checked that all my wheel nuts are tight

ekhybrid
14-09-2006, 07:18 PM
check out your front swaybar links, they can make a knocking sound if they are not tight. or maybe u need to replace them coz of wear and tear.