PDA

View Full Version : Civic ek9 Type R Spoiler

TypeRice
11-09-2006, 10:56 PM
Hey peepz.. i bought a ek9 spoiler off ebay and it arrived at my doorstep today...

does anyone know n e place to put the spoiler on for cheap?

and does n e 1 know how much it would cost to paint the spoiler to a white colour??

coz the spoiler is some creamy white different to da white on my civic..

thanks ^^

kayot1k
11-09-2006, 11:12 PM
as in CW white you mean ?
are you sure u have a genuine CTR spoiler.
post up a pic and we can help u out.

from my knowledge genuine CTR spoilers are bolt on, as for colour thats upto you.

TypeRice
11-09-2006, 11:21 PM
heres pics
http://www.geocities.com/aznaussie69/spoiler1.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/aznaussie69/spoiler4.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/aznaussie69/spoiler3.jpg

SLPJCooL
11-09-2006, 11:27 PM
Looks OEM.....so just take out the original and place your CTR in....
bolt off, bolt on

TypeRice
11-09-2006, 11:31 PM
cool.. so i can do it myself??

and do you have any ideas how much the paint would cost to paint it to another white colour?

Silence11
11-09-2006, 11:43 PM
When i had my rear lip painted it cost me about $200. So i wouldn't expect a straight white to cost that much. (mine was black with blue pearl).

I was actually looking at getting one of these wings for my civic, but i like having a rear brake light, and i couldn't find one that had a light. :(

EK9
11-09-2006, 11:49 PM
yes you can do it yourself. just lift up ya hatch and it's pretty easy to work out. and depending on where you're getting it done, expect 100-200 dollars for a paint job.

Limbo
11-09-2006, 11:50 PM
if you prep the spoiler then it makes it easier to get it painted and will save you some $$$

The CTR spoiler will bolt straight on. Just undo your original (bolts on inside behind the top plastic cover) I think it was 4 bolts. You will not be able to use your rear tailgith on the spoiler. You gotta get some ek9 type taillights to help make it brighter. I happen to have some. I know Kayot1k i gotta get pics of it when its night. Been busy, will try and get more pics later.

ALso you need to tape down your rear windscreen jet or remove it. I just taped mine to the inside of the windscreen you'll know when you do it.

TypeRice
11-09-2006, 11:54 PM
man it cost me $460 AU for the spoiler.. das including postage
now i gotta fork out another $200 for paint job heheh

so in total i spent like $660 on that spoiler... is that cheap? normal? or expensive?

TypeRice
11-09-2006, 11:57 PM
so when i take the stock spoiler off... do i just disconnect the cable for the light and just hide the cable sumwhere??

zco
11-09-2006, 11:58 PM
Thats expensive. you can paint it for 100bux. and the spoiler only costs about 250bux here in aust. shuold have just waited for a 2nd hand one to pop up

kayot1k
12-09-2006, 12:08 AM
do it matt black bro. Spray can it.
it is alot to pay, as long as ur happy with it mate.

i would've spent money else where though.

Limbo
12-09-2006, 02:09 PM
With the light you just unplug it and it will hide under the spoiler when you put it down.

The stock colour is matt black on the bottom part and then colour coded to the top part.

You prob overpaid for the spoiler but its done so just live with it. Get it sprayed properly or you'll reget it since you've already paid so much for it.

You might as well make it look all proper now.

barefootbonzai
12-09-2006, 02:12 PM
I think price isn't too bad considering it's in excellent nic and geniune. I reckon just wack it on and don't bother painting it.

TypeRice
12-09-2006, 06:28 PM
hey peepz.. i successfully put the spoiler on today..
it was pretty easy..

just had to undo 4 bolts..
2 of them were underneath this plastic thing which i had to take off ..

but took me like 30 minutes.. coz i did it slowly..

except u can notice the spoiler is a more creamy white..
very noticable !!!

so im gonna take it back off tomorow.. and get it painted, then put it back on..

simbadda54
12-09-2006, 10:13 PM
Is it abs or fibreglass? the "OEM" one i got from jdmyard was fibreglass and i didnt know honda made fibre glass ones

wtf2k6
12-09-2006, 10:37 PM
hey peepz.. i successfully put the spoiler on today..
it was pretty easy..

just had to undo 4 bolts..
2 of them were underneath this plastic thing which i had to take off ..

but took me like 30 minutes.. coz i did it slowly..

except u can notice the spoiler is a more creamy white..
very noticable !!!

so im gonna take it back off tomorow.. and get it painted, then put it back on..

show us pics wen ure done yea?

Limbo
14-09-2006, 10:57 AM
fibreglass on the bottom bit ( broke abit of it), and the top bit seems to be ABS

TypeRice
15-09-2006, 08:28 PM
hey i found a place in lansvale to paint my spoiler today..

i can pick it up monday arvo..

cost me $200

EK4R
15-09-2006, 08:32 PM
u sure? mine isnt abs plastic on the top..rather the other way around. plastic at the buttom black bit, fibreglass on the spoiler.

NightRyder
16-09-2006, 01:21 PM
Top part is ABS plastic. Bottom is some sort of fibre glass. How I know this is because when my OEM wing got damaged (in transit to me) and the bits at the ends of the base had stringy fibre threads hanging out.
There might be a series of materials used maybe?

u sure? mine isnt abs plastic on the top..rather the other way around. plastic at the buttom black bit, fibreglass on the spoiler.

TypeRice
18-09-2006, 07:07 PM
i got my spoiler back today from da mechanic all painted and nicely done.

and i put it onto my car...

all i am worried about now is the cable that connects to the light on the stock spoiler..
i unconnected it and put it into da hole to hide it..
but da stock spoiler has a cushion thing to cover the hole to stop rain water from getting in..

now the hole is not covered by that cushion thing.. im scared rain water might get in...

all yall civic heads that haf taken off your spoiler b4 know wat im talkin about..

i was finking of putting a piece of waterproof sticker over it like a decal hehehe

n e ideas??

Zdster
18-09-2006, 07:14 PM
Just use the existing plug/cover that was there before to cover the hole and if you are very worried about it, use some silicon or something similar to seal it up.

TypeRice
18-09-2006, 11:52 PM
but the existing cover for the hole is joined with the cables which is attached with the spoiler.. so i cant use it...

mrwillz
20-09-2006, 12:37 AM
With the light you just unplug it and it will hide under the spoiler when you put it down.
You might as well make it look all proper now.

why not do wot mike did
this is a pic i snappd mike
note: the addition of brake light to compensate for the ek9 wing
very neat

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/mrwillz/DSC00998.jpg

mike mite want to shed some more info / prices / procedure if he feels like it...

EK4R
20-09-2006, 03:07 AM
yea i wanna do that 2.