PDA

View Full Version : some odd questions

fangske
13-09-2006, 12:06 PM
Hi all I'm new around here I've just got some odd questions regarding my s2000

1) I plan to garage my car for about 3 - 4 months, I've been told this isnt a really good idea but to have someone run the car maybe once a week (which includes driving it around so the mechanical components don't fail). I've told that disconnecting my battery is another alternative. Would anyone care to share their thoughts?.

2) What sort of DIY maintanence can I do for my car? I plan to service it every 10000kms or so but there must be other minor oils / cleaning I can have done?

Thank you, comments will be appreciated!.

WhiteAP1
13-09-2006, 12:27 PM
Hi all I'm new around here I've just got some odd questions regarding my s2000

1) I plan to garage my car for about 3 - 4 months, I've been told this isnt a really good idea but to have someone run the car maybe once a week (which includes driving it around so the mechanical components don't fail). I've told that disconnecting my battery is another alternative. Would anyone care to share their thoughts?.

2) What sort of DIY maintanence can I do for my car? I plan to service it every 10000kms or so but there must be other minor oils / cleaning I can have done?

Thank you, comments will be appreciated!.

Disconnecting the battery is an alternative, but having the car turned over and driven would be best.

heres a few links that may help with DIY

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=195574

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=108435

Theres also a complete manual available for download as a sticky at the top of the forum page

destrukshn
13-09-2006, 12:35 PM
that or, you can always flush your fluids when you come back.
beucase you are supposed to change your oil every 6 months/10000k's.

fangske
13-09-2006, 12:36 PM
Okay you make me feel like a forum noob for not checking first thanks mate. I would like to let my gf drive it when I leave it at her house, but I dont trust her lead foot haha!.

DLO01
13-09-2006, 12:39 PM
Yeh its best to get someone to start it up every week and take it for a drive every couple of weeks at least. If the car is standing around for too long engine, gearbox etc components will dry out (no start up lubrication) and can be very damaging if you start it up after a 1, 2, 3 months etc. :thumbsup:

fangske
13-09-2006, 03:21 PM
cheers AP1, destrukshn, DLO01

BRU51N
14-09-2006, 11:25 PM
oh and u can get flat spots on your tyres if u leave it sitting in one spot too long. so at least get it driven. but i think 3 months is ok.

i think u get flat spots on your tyres around 6 months +

chicken8
15-09-2006, 01:19 AM
when i was looking at buying a car that was stored for 6 months the mechanic i talked to said dun worry abt it

oil is hard to get off something even when u want to. there will always be oil left on a mechanical part. and oil doesnt go off either thats why with engine oil theres no used by date or anything

he said he'd be more worried abt the car if it was started and driven once a week or something as the person who starts it and drives it will prolly give it a bit as its not their car and most of the time it'll be driven from a VERY cold start.

but this is just stuff i've heard and is not my opinion or anything. but it does all make sense

DLO01
15-09-2006, 07:52 AM
Chicken 8. I know you were told this, but it is wrong.

My wife and I went overseas for just one month. I left my Honda out at dads place to use through out the time. Our Camry was left in our garage, not started up for over a month.

After we got back from our trip. I did not touch the Camry in any way and I started it up. Sure enough it started straight away, but there was a knock. it turns out it was a sticky valve from not enough lubrication between the valve and guide. It eventually freed up and we were fine. It could have been a lot worse and very expensive venture.

Different oils do different things, but eventually over time and if a car is not used, componets will loose it oil coating and will start to corrode. :D

JasonGilholme
15-09-2006, 08:08 AM
^^ This is true

I have two cars, my honda and the barina. When i first purchased the honda it got driven the most and the barina got left on the driveway. It was sitting there for roughly 2 months maximum. I started it everynow and then to make sure it was still good but even from doing that it still developed a very loud knocking/tapping sound. I believe it was one of the tappets in the head.

I decided to start her up and take her for a drive. It took roughly 30km's to get the oil thin enough to get up into the head and lube that biatch.

If it was my honda that was making that sound i would have done and oil change. That way there would be fresh oil up in the head to begin with.

Hope that helps.

Jase

krogoth
15-09-2006, 03:36 PM
lots of very valid points have been raised

but chek your manual mate, there should be step by step instructions on what should be done if the car is to be stored for long durations

if ur leaving the car at ur girlfriends house, u should let her drive it, at least twice a week i reckon, if not more

dont worry about her lead foot, i dont know how ur gf drives, but it could do more damage to the car if u left it undriven for 4 months

fangske
18-09-2006, 09:39 AM
thanks for the advice guys