PDA

View Full Version : 06 Euro Audio Question

Kiwi
13-09-2006, 05:05 PM
I'm about to pick up an 06 Euro Std 6MT in the next week or so. It will be going straight to the audio shop to install all my components. My question is whether the standard Euro HU has any RCA preouts for EQ's, amps to be hooked up.

If the answer is no, then has anyone tried using a line level converter to change the speaker output to RCA. I've heard that the Audio Control LC6 is good and also good things about one called 'Navone'. ie. these 2 dont introduce any noise into the system.

I obviously want to keep the existing HU because of the steering wheel controls and plus it will look cleaner, but I'm going to miss the old comp. spec Alpine unit.

If anyones interested, I'll be installing the following kit,

Phoenix Gold EQ
2 x Lanzar Optidrive amps (total 150w RMS)
2 x 10 inch Lanzar Pro Subs
MB quart splits in the front (used to be some nice Image Dynamics HLCD's, but the wouldnt fit in my old car so they had to go)

Seems like a simple system but was good enough to win the QLD State Finals a few years back. It should sound nice in the Euro :)

Peekay34
13-09-2006, 07:34 PM
I have used the line level convertors with no major problems. Stinger make a high power unit line level convertor. No the Radio does not have rca outs. Yes the LC6 is a unit you could use. Rockford Fosgate have one as well which is suposed to be better. http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_categories.asp?cat_id=1. This has been covered before so do a search so you may find some details form other thhreads.

euro77
13-09-2006, 11:47 PM
alpine has a similar unit as the rockford fosgate. the difference is, the controller is installed outside of the dash, whereas rockford fosgate just use a pda (using bluetooth to connect to the unit).

xiang
14-09-2006, 02:49 AM
I'm running one aswell (LOC)
didnt bother with brand name stuff, i just went straight to jay car.
cost me like $30

As im just running a single 12 inch sony xplod sub, i just wanted quick and easy installation.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/6281/img0649qy4.jpg (http://img175.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0649qy4.jpg)

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/1087/img0643vj9.jpg (http://img175.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0643vj9.jpg)

Kiwi
14-09-2006, 11:01 AM
Hi Xiang,

Thanks for the reply. How have you got the LOC connected, it looks like you have it connected to the rear 6x9's and then the RCA leads are running to the amp? I'm confused, but shouldnt the LOC be connected close to the HU and then the RCA leads would run to the amp on the side of your sub box... then normal speaker wire connections to the speakers?

Maybe I'm reading the wrong setup from your pic ? :)

EuroDude
14-09-2006, 01:57 PM
ur better off getting something that connects as close to the HeadUnit as possible and then run good quality shielded RCA's to the Amp. The stock speaker wires are quite thin and not of good quality.

The Soundgate LOC4.2 should be ideal for this setup.
http://www.logjamelectronics.com/soundloc42.html

[edit] SNHOND3 is used for line input from portable cd players etc..

Kiwi
14-09-2006, 02:33 PM
Hi Eurodude, Yeah I agree about getting it as close to the HU as possible to reduce the possibility of noise.

I had a look at the link for the Shond3 and it looks to be a device to connect external sound sources that in turn feed back into the HU. ie. the RCA connectors are for a music source, not an amplifier. I dont want an additional music source to be added, I just want to add external amps and EQ.

Am I wrong ? (has been known to happen) :)

EuroDude
14-09-2006, 02:54 PM
sry ur right thats input only, was under the impression it did output as well lol.

what you want is one of these: http://www.logjamelectronics.com/liouco.html

Kiwi
14-09-2006, 04:10 PM
Yeah thats more like it. It seems there are a lot of these LOC's available ranging from $39 to $250. I guess the hard part is finding the best value one ie. cheap but good quality. Could be a case of taking a punt on those with good reviews.

Thanks for all your help. If anyone has installed a serious system in their Euro using the stock HU, I'd be keen to see what sort of results you got :)

EuroDude
14-09-2006, 04:15 PM
Instead of using a converter, have u though about getting an Amp that can take direct speaker line input? The Audison SRx3 is ideal. Combine that with an IceLink Plus and an iPod for audio input :thumbsup:

martizzle
15-09-2006, 07:40 PM
my cd 6 stacker just stuffed up, it keeps changing the cds but don't play 'em then comes up with cd err. my genuine honda warranty just ran out last month, i want to remove the H/U but want instructions before i atempt can someone please help :~(

EuroDude
15-09-2006, 08:31 PM
Sounds like the lens may just have dust on it and its jumping to the other CD's to find a valid disc. You could possibly use an air compressor in the CD slot and attempt to remove the dust.

Or remove the head unit and dissasemble it to get to the lens, and use a soft brush to clean the lens.

Here is the procedure to get the HU out:

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/4889/euroheadunitremovalqc7.gif

martizzle
15-09-2006, 09:34 PM
thanks, has anyone had this problem before? yesterday afternoon @ lunch time i jumped in the euro to go to maccas, apart from that problem,i hit the cd 2 button and the thing keep changing through all the cds then the err msg came up. i ejected all 6 cds then tried one to no avail. i then looked @ the written sides of all my cds to see if they were dirty which they were not and to my suprise there was and still is a circlular like indentation on one of the cds i imagine would be about the size of a laser head :confused:

EuroDude
15-09-2006, 09:41 PM
If a CD was damaged then it could be a mechanical problem, which - knowing honda - will be expensive to repair.

It may be cheaper getting an IceLink Ipod adapter ($250) and an iPod ($100-$480) and use MP3's/ACC's instead

martizzle
15-09-2006, 10:13 PM
im gonna take it apart tommrow. see what happens? if worst comes to worse i'll have to send it to brookvale nsw to fix,im in melb. i forgot the name of the place but i got it all written down at work, i'll post it if anyone else needs the details, their the only place in australia that fix these systems, they said it sounds like they need to replace the laser and it'l cost about $170. ive decided to bypass the honda dealership trap of taking the car to them, cause i bet you they would charge at least $600+ and to do what ?? take out the head unit and send it to the same place. i'll do it my self. i am so peed off, i have to listen to the radio!!!

EuroDude
15-09-2006, 10:18 PM
yeh try and clean the lens first and see how that goes. removing parts from a car is suprisingly easy to do once you know how.

btw its a common problem with optical drives, clean the dust of and its good as new. done it myself many times.

Sometimes if you blow like crazy into the CD slot (without spitting lol), it can dislodge the dust from the lens - its worth a try :0

martizzle
18-09-2006, 06:04 PM
Hey thanks euro dude on the instructions for removing the H/u. I got it out easy then pulled the stacker out and proceeded to take it apart. i got to the laser and i cleaned it with a bud and lens cleaner. I then tested the unit and it still didn't work. i'm now guessing its some sort of mechanical problem, cause when it loads the cd and goes to play it it makes a whining noise and stops then it changes cd. i've got some good news though, i found a place in melb that fixes car stereos. Thanks again. oh yeah from doing all that i found out i have a sunlight sensor :-D

martizzle
18-09-2006, 06:20 PM
Thank you EuroDude for all your help, i got the h/u out pulled it apart and cleaned the lens, it still doesnt work, i'm pretty sure its a mechanical problem, cause when it loads the cd and then goes to play it, it makes a slight whinging noise i think its something wrong with the rail the laser travels along, but i dont know how this could of happened, i never did anything different, it just stuffed up:confused: i am not willing to try and rectify this problem myself (have you seen all those small springs, in the stacker.. ScArY) but i got some good news i found a place in melb that fix car stereos n stackers, im going to take a couple of hours off work to go there tommorow :D

EuroDude
18-09-2006, 07:11 PM
No worries. Hopefully its just something that has come loose, such as a rubber belt. Let us know how it goes :)

martizzle
19-09-2006, 11:27 AM
well i got it fixed the guy replaced the "mech" he showed me the old one and the arm that swivels the laser around to go read the cd was pretty much stuffed it was really stiff and thats why i could hear the whinging noise coz the arm was try its hardest to get to the cd to read it (poor thing) cost me $200, which is quiet good cause i got a new mech, meaning new laser, new arms basically new stacker unit, i would love to find out how much money i saved if i did take it to honda.
now i want to get an air filter :) btw this forum rocks :D

EuroDude
19-09-2006, 11:33 AM
yeh 200 is not bad, honda would have probably charged you $1000 for a whole new unit.. nicely done dude :thumbsup:

DC5TYPER
21-09-2006, 09:11 PM
Audio Control LC6 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Great unit and then attach a EQ cos the stock euro headunit have like crap all tuning features.