PDA

View Full Version : EK meter bulb

tron07
13-09-2006, 10:18 PM
I found a bulb that is not working on the meter in my coupe.... but it doesnt seem to do anything or light up anything... anyone got any manual or experience taking/removing the meter and its bulbs??

dudeling7
13-09-2006, 10:34 PM
what meter? u mean one of the guages on your dash cluster? if so then do the following.

remove the 2 screws on the top of the black cluter bezel. once done pull that bezel out by pulling towards you. it can be pretty tight so just use a bit of muscle.

then remove the screws that mount the cluster into the dash, there maybe 4 of them around the cluster.

after than the cluster should be free so pull towards you slightly and disconnect the wires on the back of the cluster.

find whi bulb is broken and to remove turn it either clockwise or anticlickwise and then pull out. remove the dead bulb and pop it back into the slot and turn till it lock. test it. then put it all back together

:thumbsup:

tron07
13-09-2006, 10:41 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/tron07/Civic/meter1.jpg

The one on the right circle was not working after I play with it.... but it doesnt seem to light up anything.

I plan to change some colour blubs or something, either blue or amber....

dudeling7
13-09-2006, 10:45 PM
those ones on the top (that u circled) light up your needles i think on an ek cluster.

tron07
13-09-2006, 11:06 PM
The needles huh.... dont really recall, but all the indicators and meter areas are well lighted. Will drop by repco on the weekend, I wonder if dicksmith carry these bulbs or not...

simbadda54
14-09-2006, 10:31 AM
Yep the ones up the top lights the needles, Make sure u get a bright colour otherwise u'll end up having purple needles like me from putting blue LED's into it. BTW dont ever put LED's for ur backlights, i tried and it looks like a piece of load cos it had spots of brightness and spots of not light at all

tron07
14-09-2006, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the tips.... else I would had waster time playing with LED. Saw someone modify his mitsubishi with LEDs and it looks nice.
http://www.kakikereta.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=580&st=0&#entry8101

I took out the blue plastic/rubber cover from one sde, and can see the meter becomes brighter and more yellowish. Will try to get some red covers to make a amber effect.

tron07
16-09-2006, 03:24 PM
Now I have amber dash already... next will be sound deadening.... Dynamat Extreme and Extremeliner going in....

DOHCTR Coopz!
17-09-2006, 02:09 AM
post pics of how it looks now.. im curious to see how it looks!!

tron07
18-09-2006, 11:06 PM
Still tweeking with it, will try to put make the needle blue now.... previously the needle was too reddish, now back to clear/yellowish white.

And I got enough/extra stuffs to change another dash, anyone interested? :D

Spec_R
18-09-2006, 11:53 PM
anyone know where the light bolts for the centre console (aircond part) is located on a ek?? how many there are?

tron07
19-09-2006, 08:38 AM
Havent got the chance to remove the center console yet, when I change the HU will fiddle with it then. If you manage to change, do take some photos and show.

XP02ED
13-02-2008, 10:35 AM
curios about this

im planning to change the bulbs to red

did u end up doing it? anyone do it? where they got there bulbs? if they used LEDs?

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=60919&page=2