PDA

View Full Version : Best MP3 Head Unit for $500-$600. Please Help.

JeremyCivic
14-09-2006, 09:15 PM
Hi,

Looking to purchase an MP3 head unit for my car by next week and was hoping to get some opinions on specific models you'd recommend.

Have been looking into some Alpine, kenwoods, clarion, pioneer etc and cant seem to make a decision for myself.

I'm not really fussy about it being IPOD compatible as I don't have an Ipod anyway. hehe

I will have front splits, rear speakers and an amp included in this setup. Was just hoping to figure out which head unit to get.

I want one that looks good, sounds good and clear/crisp, doesnt skip on cd's or stop when my car hits a bump.

Oh and it has to be within the $500-$600 price range.

Thanks

quangsta
14-09-2006, 10:01 PM
alpine the bomb!!

based purely on brands..

alpine
clarion
kenwood
jvc
pioneer...and the rest :)

JeremyCivic
14-09-2006, 10:21 PM
Thanks for your input quangsta..

I'm also looking more towards specific models..not just the brand.

So far, I'm thinking about the Alpine 9857, clarion dxz866mp, and the panasonic CQ-C8803.

Anyone have any comments on any of these?

Thanks

tRipitaka
14-09-2006, 10:24 PM
look at the jvc giga-mp3 range..

(capable of playing mp3's off a dvd.. i.e. ~1000 songs)

Fr3aKi3
14-09-2006, 10:27 PM
Most headunits these don't skip at all, and as for how they sound it's best if you go and have a listen for yourself as your tastes will be different to others. My suggestion would be to go to a store and play around with decks, it may looks good but the you might find that the interface sucks... lol

Options:
Pioneer DEH-P6850MP ($649 but you can haggle it down to your budget or even below)
http://www.pioneer.com.au/files/products/medium/DEHP6850MP_med.jpg

Pioneer DEH-P5850MP ($469)
http://www.pioneer.com.au/files/products/medium/DEHP5850MP_med.jpg

Alpine CDA-9856i ($469)
http://www.alpine.com.au/products/images/normal/CDA-9856i.jpg

Alpine CDA-9857 ($599)
http://www.alpine.com.au/products/images/normal/CDA-9857.jpg

Kenwood KDC-X7533U ($499)
http://www.kenwoodaudio.com/common/images/ProductDetails/KDC-X7533U.jpg

Kenwood KDC-MP8533 ($549)
http://www.kenwoodaudio.com/common/images/ProductDetails/KDC-MP8533.jpg

JVC KD-G825 ($449)
http://www.jvc-australia.com/!UploadedMedia/images/KD-G825_m(1).jpg

Clarion DXZ666MP ($599)
http://clarion.com/au/en/MungoBlobs/465/174/DXZ666MP,4.jpg

Eclipse CD4000 ($499)
http://www.eclipse-web.com.au/cd/images/cd4000.jpg

There are probably more units in you're price range but that's all i could be bothered to look up for now :p Go take a look at the HU's as they'll all have different characteristics, for example i'm not a fan of Kenwood's displays (with the exception of the high end models) since they're very pixelated. The above prices are just retail prices so you'd be able to get them cheaper with some haggling, with that in mind you might even want to consider the more expensive units (600-700) since you may be able to get the price down.

Ru$kI
14-09-2006, 10:30 PM
depends what ur after in a HU. If ur after more for SQ then I would be looking at Pioneer and Eclipse HU. If your more after features then look for Kenwood, Panasonic, Sony. And if you're after a mix of both, then look for Alpine, Clarion, JVC.

Mind you that that is for entry level HU. In a diff price range its a whole new ball game.

I myself have a Clarion DXZ856MP (In love with the touch-screen)...which has quite good SQ for my liking...and is absolutely feature jammed :thumbsup:

Nodachi
14-09-2006, 11:08 PM
i've got the Kenwood KDC-X7533U and i was pretty impress on the quality of sound they give out and the ablilities to use any memory pen (usb devices) as source of music.. However i think it could be better but properly because i'm running cheapo sony 6X9s and kenwood cheapi fronts..:D

solitz
14-09-2006, 11:23 PM
i find that the sound processing in the alpine headunits are more superior that brands like kenwood and sony. the alpine 9856 and models above have BBE (high def signal processing) = greater sound SQ.
eclipse and pioneeer are aswell...but favour the alpine route.
but your best bet is to listen to them in the shop and let your ears decide

integraz
15-09-2006, 07:34 AM
eclipse or alpine

JeremyCivic
15-09-2006, 08:10 AM
Currently I'm trying to choose between this (http://www.clarion.com/au/en/products/2006/audio/source_units/cd/DXZ866MP/au-en-product-pf_1139306869883.html) or this (http://panasonic.com.au/products/details.cfm?objectID=3333) or this (http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/products/product.php?model=CDA-9857)..

hehe

Unless anyone else has any other suggestions?

Ru$kI
15-09-2006, 08:56 AM
Heres my 2 cents on those 3 headunits:

Clarion:
1. Awesome user-interface
2. Good features
3. Good SQ (THD 0.01%, S/N 100 dB)
4. Poor DSP (only 2 band parametric EQ, LP)

Overall: 7 / 10

Panasonic:
1. Interface looks like a nice easy
2. Average features
3. Good - Great SQ (THD 0.01%, S/N 106 dB)
4. Good DSP (9 band EQ, SRS, HP & LP)

Overall: 8 / 10

Alpine:
1. Interface looks outdated and nothing special
2. Average features (only good thing is the USB connectivity)
3. Great SQ (BBE, THD 0.008%, S/N 105 dB)
4. Poor DSP (seems like only 2 band EQ (bass n treble), and no filters at all :eek: )

Overall 7 / 10

So my choice would be the Panasonic. But then again that is purely based on stats...as others said it all depends on how they truly sound.

SiReal
15-09-2006, 09:24 AM
All those three you have listed 'look' nice. But think about sustainability. All those useless bright and flashy colours, they WILL shit you eventually, when ur driving at night and ur eyes are being pounded by that mini monitor. I had a panasonic, fark it was annoying.

I would choose Alpine over all of them.

Fr3aKi3
15-09-2006, 09:28 AM
Panasonic had some reliability issues with their previous range of decks, not if sure that's been fixed or not but personally i'm stayin away from panasonic.

Ru$ki: How do you find the touch screen of the clarion? In terms finger prints.

IMHO BBE is a gimmick, its much better to have a good original source than to compensate for a dodgy one.

Ru$kI
15-09-2006, 09:41 AM
The touchscreen is soil resistant so you will never damage it with like the skin oils or any residue that may be left on the screen while touching it. As far as cleaning them...man its as easy as taking some microfibre cloth (or even use the cloth to wipe your glasses...if you have any)...and just wiping the residue off...comes off without any problems.

That Clarion deck is extremely nice...but if you can find the equivalent of it from the 05 range (which is the deck I have...DXZ856MP)...then go for that...or even the DXZ956MC (slightly more features) coz basically for the same price you get heips more features and a tad better DSP (in the 956) :thumbsup:

Vinnie
15-09-2006, 09:47 AM
ive got an alpine deck and its worked well for me so i can recommend them. all depends on wat features ur after coz theres no point paying more for features u dont need and wont use...

JeremyCivic
15-09-2006, 10:09 AM
Heres my 2 cents on those 3 headunits:

Clarion:
1. Awesome user-interface
2. Good features
3. Good SQ (THD 0.01%, S/N 100 dB)
4. Poor DSP (only 2 band parametric EQ, LP)

Overall: 7 / 10

Panasonic:
1. Interface looks like a nice easy
2. Average features
3. Good - Great SQ (THD 0.01%, S/N 106 dB)
4. Good DSP (9 band EQ, SRS, HP & LP)

Overall: 8 / 10

Alpine:
1. Interface looks outdated and nothing special
2. Average features (only good thing is the USB connectivity)
3. Great SQ (BBE, THD 0.008%, S/N 105 dB)
4. Poor DSP (seems like only 2 band EQ (bass n treble), and no filters at all :eek: )

Overall 7 / 10

So my choice would be the Panasonic. But then again that is purely based on stats...as others said it all depends on how they truly sound.

So from the stats, the panasonic would sound clearest out of the three?

Also, surely there has to be an option to turn off the colourful lights/animation and make it only display the song title etc etc. This would make night driving that tad bit easier..hehe

JeremyCivic
15-09-2006, 10:36 AM
The touchscreen is soil resistant so you will never damage it with like the skin oils or any residue that may be left on the screen while touching it. As far as cleaning them...man its as easy as taking some microfibre cloth (or even use the cloth to wipe your glasses...if you have any)...and just wiping the residue off...comes off without any problems.

That Clarion deck is extremely nice...but if you can find the equivalent of it from the 05 range (which is the deck I have...DXZ856MP)...then go for that...or even the DXZ956MC (slightly more features) coz basically for the same price you get heips more features and a tad better DSP (in the 956) :thumbsup:

The 956 is abit too much over my budget..hehe

it's like close to 1k.

I found the 866 for $650ish. is the 856 better than the 866?

I like the 866 cos it's black and will match the trim in my car..just dont want one that's like silver etc that would stand out like a sore thumb..hehe

Fr3aKi3
15-09-2006, 11:01 AM
Don't just look at the specs as that doesn't tell the whole story.

$650 for the 866 is cheap... cheapest i've seen is $799

If it's a legit price then that's cheap... if it's ebay then be careful... lol
The warranty may not be covered by the manufacturer since the ebay seller is most probably not an authorised dealer.

J-MuN
15-09-2006, 11:13 AM
Fr3aKi3 has stated some very good points there.

I'd probably go with the Alpine for reliability and quality. Steer away from Panasonic as there's always reliability issues with them in Car Audio. Don't get me wrong, their Plasma and LCD panels are great but in car audio, i'd stay away from them.

JeremyCivic
15-09-2006, 11:54 AM
I just went to some audio stores to have a play with some of the head units.

The panasonic one felt very tacky..like it was a toy..didnt feel solid if you guys know what i mean.

The clarion one felt awesome..every button you press felt just so precise and solid. I could tell straight away the clarion one was of very high quality.

How about during the day though, ive owned some head units where it was impossible to see the display during the day when the sun is shining in..hehe

how would these displays go during sunlight?

Thanks

JeremyCivic
15-09-2006, 11:58 AM
oh and i also noticed this nice kenwood (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4bfk4RpZYJZ/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=113XXV01D) one.

So i guess the ones im choosing between now are the kenwood, clarion and alpine one..

or any other ones you guys might suggest.

Let me know

Thanks..hehe

Ru$kI
15-09-2006, 02:08 PM
the 856 has a stainless steel face plate, so its not gonna be black. However...its basically an 866 + shitload more features ;)

As far as price, I paid $900 for the 856 in Feb 06....so considering that the 866 has fewer features and is rather new...id say $650 is a good price.

And with regard to day & night driving and illumination...the 856 has dimmer control...and also auto dimmer...whereby a sensor detects that if theres a lack in light (ie its night time / day time) and dimms the display accordingly to a preset level (which you set). Im pretty sure the 866 has this feature also.

With the Kenwood XXV-01D...i reckon its a nice deck...surely seems to have good SQ stats (but as everyone says...you really have to listen 2 it to see if you like it)...and feature wise seems a good pick. However from memory I believe they are rather pricey. Can't comment on the interface as in all honestly never used one, but looks nice :)

DC5TYPER
15-09-2006, 07:38 PM
Buy Blaupunkt! :thumbsup:

Bought the Modena MP54 for the GF and beats most japanese decks in feature and SQ department. Looks a bit plan but thats euro styling.

PS- I work with Car radios everyday so I know what I'm on about :cool:

J-MuN
16-09-2006, 09:32 PM
With the Kenwood XXV-01D...i reckon its a nice deck...surely seems to have good SQ stats (but as everyone says...you really have to listen 2 it to see if you like it)...and feature wise seems a good pick. However from memory I believe they are rather pricey. Can't comment on the interface as in all honestly never used one, but looks nice :)Yeah it's a good deck. Multi award winning in previous year. Price is a little bit steeper compared to some of the others mention, roughly in the $799 mark. But good SQ unit. Never been a Kenwood fan but this i would recommend.

JeremyCivic
16-09-2006, 10:08 PM
Yeah it's a good deck. Multi award winning in previous year. Price is a little bit steeper compared to some of the others mention, roughly in the $799 mark. But good SQ unit. Never been a Kenwood fan but this i would recommend.

Would you recommend it over the Clarion DXZ856MP?

Thanks

ICACHA
17-09-2006, 12:22 AM
Hi,

Looking to purchase an MP3 head unit for my car by next week and was hoping to get some opinions on specific models you'd recommend.

Have been looking into some Alpine, kenwoods, clarion, pioneer etc and cant seem to make a decision for myself.

I'm not really fussy about it being IPOD compatible as I don't have an Ipod anyway. hehe

I will have front splits, rear speakers and an amp included in this setup. Was just hoping to figure out which head unit to get.

I want one that looks good, sounds good and clear/crisp, doesnt skip on cd's or stop when my car hits a bump.

Oh and it has to be within the $500-$600 price range.

Thanks

Your after an opinion right?

Why not have a search around the manufacturers websites for specifications and choose one that suits your needs and has the features your after, bit odd asking people what they would have rather than thinking about what you would want.

you obviously know how much you want to spend, why not do your own research, that always helps :)

JeremyCivic
17-09-2006, 01:49 PM
Your after an opinion right?

Why not have a search around the manufacturers websites for specifications and choose one that suits your needs and has the features your after, bit odd asking people what they would have rather than thinking about what you would want.

you obviously know how much you want to spend, why not do your own research, that always helps :)

Actually, I have been trying to research myself if you havent noticed.

I didnt just make up all the head unit models I'm interested in out of thin air.

I've tried to narrow down my search and was hoping for other's opinions in regards to which ones are good units etc from either experience or knowledge.

I have also stated in my first post what I wanted in the head unit, and was hoping to get people's opinions on a good headunit that would suit my criteria.

J-MuN
17-09-2006, 08:53 PM
Would you recommend it over the Clarion DXZ856MP?

ThanksTo be honest with you, i haven't come across the DXZ856MP. Don't stock clarion at work, not saying Clarion is no good or anything, but just don't know much about their products.

Ru$kI
19-09-2006, 11:01 AM
I suggest try 2 play around with both of them and see which one appeals to you more, as both of the decks are quite great.

Clarion seems to have a cleaner design, and is definately easy to use. The touchscreen is a feature specific to this line of decks...as I haven't seen a 1 DIN headunit with touchscreen before. I was a little skeptical initially about how sensitive the touch screen may be and the operation of all the functions from it..but the software is written in a very simple way which follows genuine logic convention (unlike some other headunits where u have to press 10 buttons just to turn the volume up!). Also the software allows you to choose between 2 different layouts of the buttons on screen, to better suit your style of operation.

The headunit is feature rich...and i can definately say the ADF (Anit-Distortion Filter) function is probably its biggest feature. It does wonders when you play an encoded format like MP3 or WMA...seems to replenish alot of lost sound. However the downside with ADF...once you turn it on, you have to basically retune your whole SQ settings to match it.

Sound quality wise, it's hard for me to comment as I havent felt the best sound from it...but that is purely due to the setup of the rest of my equipment (speakers / amps / sub). Im rectifying the problem by getting an external 1/2 DIN 7-band EQ, Dynamating the car, and re-cabling the whole system with fatter cables. This should be done by the weekend so Ill let you know then how it sounds :).

With the Kenwood...design seems fine....but is nothing that strikes you as something exciting or interesting. Infact it is almost identical to their low-range headunits. However I guess some people are after that to kind of retain that stock headunit look. Mind you I only once had a chance to fiddle with the deck...and that was for 5 mins. Recalling my memory I was interested that such an ordinary looking deck seemed to have so much potential, but nothing about really appealed to me. One more thing is the remote...which looks way oversized IMO.

Feature wise...im just reading through the list of features and telling you my initial thought on each one.
1. G-Analyser....absolute waste....basically shows you how many G-forces affect your car when you're turning or something of that nature.
2. Full colour OEL...good...its nice to have a detailed display
3. Tel mute...good idea...but skeptical about its compatibility with various types of phones
4. Subwoofer Level & Low Pass Filter Adjustable...a necessity in any high-end headunit. Clarion has this also
5. Built In Amp Mute Function....good idea...suppose to mute the internal amp of the headunit if you have your speakers powered by an external amp...to improve clarity of sound. Clarion has this too...and personally I never felt the difference with it on or off (could be coz i listen to MP3s and not actual CDs)
6. Digital DSP....I have never been a fan of presets...as Id never use them and instead try to tune the system to my own liking, but it may be a different story for you :)
7. Digital X'over/ Digital Time Alignment/ 4-band Digital EQ/ Digital SRS WOW Effect....awesome SQ stuff...Clarion deck has none of this..so thats a big point to note
8. Attenuator...useful...but you can just as quickly turn the volume down using the rotary knob
9. AUX input...nothing special...most decks have this
10. Phatnoise media manager...not quite sure what it does...but sounds interesting.

SQ wise...as I stated before...seems impressive (also has 24bit Burr Browns :thumbsup: )...better than the Clarion...but as you can see in my situation...it all comes down to the rest of the equipment you have in your car, with regard to what the music ultimately sounds like.

Bottom line...gota play around with both of em...gota listen to both of them...and then make a decision:)

Good luck :thumbsup:

Astro
19-09-2006, 09:58 PM
I suggest try 2 play around with both of them and see which one appeals to you more, as both of the decks are quite great.

Clarion seems to have a cleaner design, and is definately easy to use. The touchscreen is a feature specific to this line of decks...as I haven't seen a 1 DIN headunit with touchscreen before. I was a little skeptical initially about how sensitive the touch screen may be and the operation of all the functions from it..but the software is written in a very simple way which follows genuine logic convention (unlike some other headunits where u have to press 10 buttons just to turn the volume up!). Also the software allows you to choose between 2 different layouts of the buttons on screen, to better suit your style of operation.

The headunit is feature rich...and i can definately say the ADF (Anit-Distortion Filter) function is probably its biggest feature. It does wonders when you play an encoded format like MP3 or WMA...seems to replenish alot of lost sound. However the downside with ADF...once you turn it on, you have to basically retune your whole SQ settings to match it.

Sound quality wise, it's hard for me to comment as I havent felt the best sound from it...but that is purely due to the setup of the rest of my equipment (speakers / amps / sub). Im rectifying the problem by getting an external 1/2 DIN 7-band EQ, Dynamating the car, and re-cabling the whole system with fatter cables. This should be done by the weekend so Ill let you know then how it sounds :).

With the Kenwood...design seems fine....but is nothing that strikes you as something exciting or interesting. Infact it is almost identical to their low-range headunits. However I guess some people are after that to kind of retain that stock headunit look. Mind you I only once had a chance to fiddle with the deck...and that was for 5 mins. Recalling my memory I was interested that such an ordinary looking deck seemed to have so much potential, but nothing about really appealed to me. One more thing is the remote...which looks way oversized IMO.

Feature wise...im just reading through the list of features and telling you my initial thought on each one.
1. G-Analyser....absolute waste....basically shows you how many G-forces affect your car when you're turning or something of that nature.
2. Full colour OEL...good...its nice to have a detailed display
3. Tel mute...good idea...but skeptical about its compatibility with various types of phones
4. Subwoofer Level & Low Pass Filter Adjustable...a necessity in any high-end headunit. Clarion has this also
5. Built In Amp Mute Function....good idea...suppose to mute the internal amp of the headunit if you have your speakers powered by an external amp...to improve clarity of sound. Clarion has this too...and personally I never felt the difference with it on or off (could be coz i listen to MP3s and not actual CDs)
6. Digital DSP....I have never been a fan of presets...as Id never use them and instead try to tune the system to my own liking, but it may be a different story for you :)
7. Digital X'over/ Digital Time Alignment/ 4-band Digital EQ/ Digital SRS WOW Effect....awesome SQ stuff...Clarion deck has none of this..so thats a big point to note
8. Attenuator...useful...but you can just as quickly turn the volume down using the rotary knob
9. AUX input...nothing special...most decks have this
10. Phatnoise media manager...not quite sure what it does...but sounds interesting.

SQ wise...as I stated before...seems impressive (also has 24bit Burr Browns :thumbsup: )...better than the Clarion...but as you can see in my situation...it all comes down to the rest of the equipment you have in your car, with regard to what the music ultimately sounds like.

Bottom line...gota play around with both of em...gota listen to both of them...and then make a decision:)

Good luck :thumbsup:

Excellent post

If I could give you a rep point, I would!

hehe

ICACHA
19-09-2006, 11:11 PM
yeah i would of said read some brouchers too, but someone else beat me to it with an essay :p

Ru$kI
20-09-2006, 09:30 AM
lol...i thought anyone and everyone could give rep points?

Excellent post

If I could give you a rep point, I would!

hehe