PDA

View Full Version : Brake gone??

EK4R
14-09-2006, 11:57 PM
hey guys,
i only just realised this but sometimes (rarely) when i stop at a red light and step on my brakes, i feel that my pedals "sinks" in. as in the pedals slowly fall lower than they usual spot. what could be the problem?? brake fluid? or what?
thanks

jamchen
15-09-2006, 12:05 AM
i think its that u got air in the braking line... maybe a brake bleeding and flush should cure the problem...

daniel b16a
15-09-2006, 12:10 AM
how much wud that set u back?

EK4R
15-09-2006, 12:16 AM
You have got a leak in your brake system. If the backing plates are dry and no brake fluid on your rotors then check your master cylinder for internal fluid leaks past the seals.

i HAVE a leak or COULD have?

im noob with all this mechanic stuff got a pic of where you talkin bout? :(

jamchen
15-09-2006, 12:24 AM
just go to a local brake shop to have it checked... if its air inside the brake line then it will only cost u a bottle of braking fluid,,, and some labor...
but if its leaking,,, then more components are involved and the costs can be varying...

CRXer
15-09-2006, 12:48 AM
claymore pretty much nailed it.

Master cylinder seals gone most likely.

Had the same prob myself recently,sank slowly to the floor at the lights,especially after longish drives on warmer days.Changed for a spare M.C. I had lying around,no more prob.

Good DIY(by ECU-MAN again) cick here (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34893&highlight=master+cylinder) if your feeling real brave & want to save some cash,just dont do it at others expense if your not confident.

EK4R
15-09-2006, 12:52 AM
claymore pretty much nailed it.

Master cylinder seals gone most likely.

Had the same prob myself recently,sank slowly to the floor at the lights,especially after longish drives on warmer days.Changed for a spare M.C. I had lying around,no more prob.

Good DIY(by ECU-MAN again) cick here (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34893&highlight=master+cylinder) if your feeling real brave & want to save some cash,just dont do it at others expense if your not confident.

how much did it cost for larbour n parts buddy?

CRXer
15-09-2006, 01:04 AM
Dont know.Had the M.C. & booster left from a halfcut & installed it all myself.

If u read thru the DIY i posted,I think he gives a bit of an idea on parts cost,cant remember.
Think it goes something like $120 for parts to rebuild yourself or $240 for new M.C. complete.A mech would prob charge bout 1 hr labour,I guess for changing just the M.C.(bout $80-$100)

EK4R
15-09-2006, 01:21 AM
what if i dont change it. short term and long term problems?
bit tight on cash atm.

CRXer
15-09-2006, 01:28 AM
I drove round like this for 3 months,with no great change in the condition,before i got off my lazy arse & fixed it.

But dont be an idiot like me,could cost u plenty in the long run & maybe a jail term depending on how many people u mowed down.

Do it ASAP.

panda[cRx]
15-09-2006, 02:02 PM
needs a brake bleed or a new master cylinder. get it checked out as it's not really something you want to put on the 'to do' list

destrukshn
15-09-2006, 02:09 PM
if the problem that it is leaking, which it probably is...
well the longer you leave it, the more chance of scouring the bore/inside where your pistons go.
if that happens, depending on the damage, you can't rebuild it.
you'll have to buy a new master cylinder or second hand.

a rebuild kit is about $60 or so for a gneuine one.
not much.
but if have have to buy a new one, it's about $300 for a brand new genuine one.

EK4R
15-09-2006, 03:30 PM
Worst case situation the seal finally lets go altogether and the pedal goes all the way to the floor NO BRAKES just as you come up behind a nice new Benz parked at the light. Dangerous man!! I have been reading your PMs about what you have been doing and I would think you have the skills to do a DIY it's really not that hard and you have the DIY from ECU-man to help you through. Give it a try you can only mess up an already messed up part.

haha thx claymore for the confidence, but i do mostly cosmetics, nfi on mecanics. but yea i might give it a go using ECU-mans diy.

cheers for all the replies. guess ill get this done pretty soon. hopefully before the cruise coming up :(

where i get a rebuild kit? honda dealership?

destrukshn
15-09-2006, 03:41 PM
honda dealership will have em.
should have em in stock, they are supposed to be done every 100,00kms or 5 years, rebuilding the brake master cylinder, and clutch master cylinder

EK4R
15-09-2006, 03:44 PM
60 bux huh. ill go ask
btw only is it the same with EG EK1 DC2 ? or have to be EK4

destrukshn
15-09-2006, 03:47 PM
eg, dc the same, not quite sure of the eks
but if there isn't a kit,
they will give your the primary piston, secondary piston, and the seal that goes at the back of the master cylinder to the booster.

and the clutch one, is 1 piston and 1 seal.

CRXer
15-09-2006, 04:05 PM
Just dont forget to do a quick inspection for fluid leaks as others have mentioned & maybe even a quick fluid flush to make sure its not water build up in the fluid before u go to all this trouble.

destrukshn
15-09-2006, 04:08 PM
Just dont forget to do a quick inspection for fluid leaks as others have mentioned & maybe even a quick fluid flush to make sure its not water build up in the fluid before u go to all this trouble.
yups

also, i would advise, well my opinion is, don't got for second hand master cylinder, you don't know how long that has left either.
lol, well go for it, if it has very low k's or, the master cylinder is still in good condition.

EK4R
15-09-2006, 04:08 PM

hmm alrite. i guess just do a brake bleed first and see if it fixes the problem. ill take a closer look later.

EK4R
15-09-2006, 04:36 PM
i just went downstairs to have a look. it seems to be dry and no leaks? im guessing its leaking internally? or did i miss a spot

here is a pic, anywhere i should look perticular or do i have to take it apart to tell for sure?

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/1339/p1010171ka7.jpg

Spunkymonkey
15-09-2006, 05:11 PM
I found I had this problem when I had the air con on, and it was the master cylinder.

muhhan
15-09-2006, 05:34 PM
Just in case you didn't know when you go to order parts from the Honda dealer they usually ask for your VIN and then they can get the exact parts for your vehicle. Makes it pretty easy to get spares!

With the master cylinder, if there is no wet patches like its pissing its pants then it'll probably be an internal leak and that you'd have to dismantle the master cylinder for.
Have you tried the brake fluid flush yet? It is much easier with another person to help you out.

Keep us informed of how you go.:thumbsup:

PS. That's a nice air intake tube you got there. Can you please PM me with the details of it (ie where you got it, what brand, etc.)? Thanks!

ECU-MAN
15-09-2006, 08:24 PM
just get your master cylinder rebuilt, then all your problems will go away

EK4R
15-09-2006, 08:27 PM
yea will do ecu-man.
ill prob pm ya when i do mine. keep your pm free ;)

ECU-MAN
15-09-2006, 08:29 PM
no probs dude

just follow the DIY, you cant go wrong