PDA

View Full Version : Air box mod??

s2k-99b
15-09-2006, 12:06 AM
hey guys. i got a ap1 s2000 and am thinkin bout doing the air box mod. have heard of heaps of U.S cars doin it. has any onne here done it? if so, are you happy with the result? also once done, do you put the cover back on. i am driving round with the cover off at the moment. sounds great. dont know if its good for the car though? any comments???:confused:

chicken8
15-09-2006, 12:46 AM
alot of threads have covered this

but just to sum up.

you'll get heat soak in hotter days or if u do stop-go driving alot. your performance will drop alot.

some have noticed that it takes a few weeks driving the car with the airbox lid back on to get back to the old performance.

detrimental to the car mechanically prolly not. but perhaps ur air/fuel ratio might be off or something in your ECU might go wacky.

flame me if i've gotten anything wrong

PLES2K
15-09-2006, 12:55 AM
I've tried taking the stock airbox lid off, and ended up putting it back after a day.

you'll get heat soak in hotter days or if u do stop-go driving alot. your performance will drop alot.

some have noticed that it takes a few weeks driving the car with the airbox lid back on to get back to the old performance.

chicken8 is spot on there from my experience.

WhiteAP1
16-09-2006, 07:02 PM
I think hes refering to cutting out the divider and unscrewing the directional inlet.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19307&page=2

If u have done this,keep the lid on the box, otherwise the mod is pointless. It should open up the intake chamber alowing more airflow, its not as restrictive as stock. If ure just refering to taking the lid off the box, again leave it on.

Ure spot on about the heat soak and ECU, u should reset the ECU (fuse pull or disconnect the battery terminal) with any mod, so it can re-learn.

jko2
17-09-2006, 10:31 AM
I've done it, I don't think its worth cutting up your OEM parts to do it.
you get a tiny bit more sound, i'd say maybe 30% of the maxiumum sound with your lid off.

- blocked off resonator
- removed seperator panel
- took off L shape tube
- K&N filter

not much difference
+ spoon snorkel

still nto much difference

worth it? if you don't mind keeping the originality of your car (you can't undo this one remember). then go ahead.

s2k-99b
19-09-2006, 02:54 PM
put my cover back on yesterday to see if it did feel different. definetly more responsive with the cover on. think i have to keep it on now. what would you guys suggeest to make the car sound beefier with the cover still on.???
cheers

WhiteAP1
19-09-2006, 03:22 PM
Read the link above, filling up the resonator chamber with foam should do it.

U could also remove the resnator from the exhaust,should make it louder.

IMHO i wouldnt bother with either. If u want ure car to sound "beefier" , fork out the $$$$ for the right parts and do it properly, ure driving an s2000 now not a civic. ;)

[JNS 012]
19-09-2006, 06:44 PM
Ure spot on about the heat soak and ECU, u should reset the ECU (fuse pull or disconnect the battery terminal) with any mod, so it can re-learn.

soo if i dont do this.. the computer will not learn??/
or would it take tym to learn....

WhiteAP1
19-09-2006, 07:02 PM
The Aim is to get the ECU back to factory settings. From that point it can take on/learn all the new figures (air/fuel, o2 sensor readings etc..) The reason i reset after every mod, is so the new ones can make nice with the others already done. The ECU takes them all into account at once, so a new "setting" (over a breif period of time) is built at once from the ground up.(so to speak)