PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting ride height with coilovers

DD2
15-09-2006, 10:37 AM
I'm wanting to raise my car an inch or two, though when i turn the base the whole shock will turn with it.

What would be the best way to overcome this ??

newmski
15-09-2006, 10:52 AM
wat sort of coilovers you have (brand). If u mean they are stuck try some wd40 in there and u should have to rings 1 The higher one is to adjust height there other is like a lock nut

bennjamin
15-09-2006, 10:56 AM
is the shock still in teh car , or totalyl removed ?
As said , spray abit of WD40 on the lower perch and upper perch to free up abit of the dirt n gunk stuck in there.

Also , to properly raise (or lower) any coilovers its best to loosen the top bolts and make the spring uncaptive , so you can move the lower spring perch up and down at will.
DONT FORGET to measure the exact height of each corner , to keep a consistant matching "drop".

DD2
15-09-2006, 12:51 PM
They are APEX coilovers, still on the car.

I think i might just take it to a workshop instead of mucking about with them.

BRU51N
19-09-2006, 12:45 AM
I'm wanting to raise my car an inch or two, though when i turn the base the whole shock will turn with it.

What would be the best way to overcome this ??

i think your coilovers might have 3 perch's in total, 2 for the top (spring) and the bottom. tighten the bottom one downwards to lock the threads in.

then start adjusting with the top.

if your car doesnt have the bottom perch then the coilover shouldnt twist along with the top when you adjust it, just sounds totally wrong that the threads itself will turn with it when u adjust it.

DD2
19-09-2006, 12:16 PM
No idea man.... it's now become too much effort, so i'll just take it to a workshop when i get the chance.

DD2
28-09-2006, 04:36 PM
Ok so i've finally found the time to take it to a workshop and they've called to say they have ceased and they could not move the perch even after removing it from the car.

Is there anything i could do ???

JasonGilholme
28-09-2006, 04:38 PM
How low did you wind them?? Al the way down??

DD2
29-09-2006, 11:04 AM
I bought the car with them already installed.

The fronts still have plenty left to go down and the rears were pretty much all the way.

I have a feeling the were purchased second hand when first installed so now would be a couple years old.

STTICH
03-10-2006, 04:00 PM
if it still has plenty of thread left as u mentioned, u should b able to wind it up/down.

try WD40 as it certainly helps losen up old and rusty perch/thread tat got stuck.

otherwise show us a pic if u can?

bennjamin
04-10-2006, 02:00 PM
get the shock out , and "soak" the perch in WD40 or similar to free up the seized thread.

DD2
04-10-2006, 02:18 PM
i think i might have to make time to have a fiddle myself.... all i need is the c-spanner..... not sure a flathead and a hammer will do the job as well :)

JasonGilholme
04-10-2006, 02:21 PM
or just a hammer :P ....a big one....

SPEEDCORE
04-10-2006, 04:30 PM
Try to blast out (water or compressed air) the grit between the threads along the shock and as much as you can between the perch ring and the strut thread.

Then bench vice, penetrating oil and old cloths to put between the vice teeth and the perch ring.

DO NOT use the bench vice on the actual strut casing, you will damage it and the last thing you want is a warped casing.... only around the ring even then not too tight as to start making it deform, cause that will deform the strut casing underneath also.

With the strut held in place with the vice holding onto the perch ring firmly.... you should be able to acheive some pretty good leverage. Yes... try rotating the whole unit while the vice holds onto the perch.

Good luck.

JasonGilholme
04-10-2006, 05:12 PM
SPEEDCORE = HARDCORE

Top stuff man :thumbsup: