PDA

View Full Version : DIY _ ` airfilter box yO (carbon fibre!)

RMN15N
15-09-2006, 12:40 PM
hey you.. yeah you.. tired of getting ur ass busted for a pod filter?
well with a couple hours of work and some paitance
and u'll have urself nice box..
depending on how much you spend, u'll get that back with the box.

here are some pics:

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/9802/boxae5.jpg

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/5391/img2413zr1.jpg

Step 1
the honda civic has an airbox that comprises of two parts, the chamber in the engine bay and a resonator that resides in the wheel well. The resonator's role is to dampen the induction noise, bust obviously this becomes redundant when fitting a pod filter. the easiest way to remove the resonator is to pull back plastic guard liner and have a feel around for the bolts holding the resonator in place. Once you've undone the bolts, jack the car up to give u move space to drop the resonator out from underneath.

Step 2
with the resonator removed we were able to use the 75mm wide hole to run a cold air feed to the front of the bumper, you can buy either a heat resistand duct from autobarn or super cheap.
the duct can either be placed behind the front bumper or you can cut a hole out to expose it directly
to the outside. i cut the hole outta my front bar and put the intake pipe straight thru to the pod filter CAI.

Step 3
before you start working on ur box i suggest u take ur time to think what materials u would want to use, I used aluminum sheeting and pop rivets, allan keys and some carbon fibre film, i would of went with the real carbon fibre but i had no dosh, so the film will do, theres nothing stopping you from using fibreglass,perspex or carbon fibre.

Using some scrap cardboardm design up a template with which to cut the aluminum(or whatever ur using)sheets , a quick tip is to use small pieces of cardboard and use masking tape to join them, this makes tracing a lot easier.

Once you have the template for the top piece, u will need to make up templates for the sides. the sidepieces need to be at right angles to the top piece. ensure that the airbox wont rub against anything like hoses or engine mounts etc you can also lay rubber at the tips of the aluminum so they dont rattle.

With all the templates complete, join them together and trail fit it, dont forget to close the bonnet with the template in.
if no trimming is required, dissemble the top and side pieces and trace them onto the aluminum/carb sheets with a marker or pen. the best way to cut is with an airsaw(make sure if u use carbon fibre be careful not to shatter the thing!)

from here u need to drill holes through the aluminum/carb sheets and the brackets and attach them with either screws or pop rivets to make it appear a bit neater, i chose to use rounded hex bolts to give u that race feel =)

After you have joined the first sidepiece to the top piece, perform another trail fit to ensure that it fits and doesnt rub against anything.

you now need to join the two side pieces together. since the angle between the two pieces is greater than 90º i used a flexable aluminum piece.

Step 4
Now that the box is assembled, have a look at where u can mount the brackets to hold the box in place. the three areas chosen were the fender, headlight & strut tower. since the fender had two predrilled holes, all that was necessary was to put in two screws to hold the box.

Step 5
With the air box completed and installed, do a final check to make sure that the bonnet closes and that the air-box isn't fouling against anything. as u can see the pod is completley covered! no more defects!!

enjoy this yO

;)

aaronng
15-09-2006, 01:55 PM
Put in your step by step for the airbox to make it a true DIY article.

jdmlvn
15-09-2006, 04:35 PM
nice airbox
+rep
i presume the side of the box is steel,
would that heat up the box?
imo the carbon fibre should of been on the sides, not the top.

Gary

RMN15N
15-09-2006, 05:24 PM
nice airbox
+rep
i presume the side of the box is steel,
would that heat up the box?
imo the carbon fibre should of been on the sides, not the top.

Gary

nah the carbon fibre is just for "wank factor"
for some bling..

for the side.. if it does produce heat i will purchase some clark rubber stuff
that conducts near to no heat?.
=)

egSi
15-09-2006, 05:36 PM
whoa just like in ASM a few years back. :eek:

RMN15N
15-09-2006, 05:51 PM
yeah trav..! found that magazine lying around at a mates place.. and so we did both of the diy's haha.. will take pics of my friends ones

comon mods gimme reps!! thats why i posted the thing!!

seventwozero
15-09-2006, 05:58 PM
Good stuff JOE GOOD STUFF!

phantom_civic
15-09-2006, 08:34 PM
wonder how much the materials costed u??

maracer
15-09-2006, 09:41 PM
hhhhmmmmmmm:p great work:thumbsup:
I'm thinking about making one for my car!

Limbo
15-09-2006, 11:54 PM
not bad, I use thin MDF and stuck some some insulation material last time i made one to keep heat down.

only prob is that they can still defect you for not being standard. Stupid cops will try for anything. Need the OEM factor to get them off your back.

newmski
16-09-2006, 12:02 AM
awesome writeup (Y)
i was thinking couldnt you just make it 1 piece and bend at 90 degrees? that way no need to pop rivot.

iced
16-09-2006, 02:48 AM
i like your work man.
top job.
this is one of the best diy intake guides on this forum i can think of at nearly 3am.
the rest seem dodgy and unprofessional.

you might as well diy the rest of the short ram intake.
since its short ram, some 3inch piping with 45deg bend and silicone hose connectors will bling it up abit more.

Boban
16-09-2006, 07:19 PM
What issue of ASM was that in, sorry i can't remember it off the top of my head and cbf looking for it (have 30+ issues lying around the room somewhere :))
Looks good though man, did u get the aluminium from a hwrdware store or..., and as for cops defecting it for not being OEM, i was thinking of putting "OEM" sticker on it :p

RMN15N
17-09-2006, 01:11 AM
well. thanks for the good comments boys n girls.. and
btw i do have an short ram intake already .. diy also.
not sure of what issue.. but its the one with the r32 on the front

RMN15N
17-09-2006, 06:51 PM
http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5065/img2421jw4.jpg

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/7949/img2420gk2.jpg

pix after i riced up the box with stickers

Boban
17-09-2006, 09:13 PM
Looking good man, almost oem.
I found the issue (37 for anyone interested).
I was thinking of using checkered plate i have somewhere around the house, but it's about 4mm thick so i think it might be a bit heavy. Decisions decisions...
Also i've got the fat intake (whele pen!s) which sits pretty high in the bay so i'm worried i might have issues with the bonett closing if i put anything above it, will try to turn it somehow so it sits lower. You bolted the top part onto the 2 headlight bolts and one on the strut tower right????

I'll see what i can do, will put up some pics if i have any luck with it.

phantom_civic
17-09-2006, 09:49 PM
it wont hit the bonnent - Trust me.

Boban
18-09-2006, 06:38 PM
I had a bit of spare time today and this is what i came up with. Didn't have any real plan or set sort of instructions or whatnot, just wanted it to somewhat resemble RMN15N's one. IT's about 90% complete. Superchaps around my area didn't have the carbon fibre film and my nearest autobarn is about 20mins away on the freeway so i didn't go there, but they should have it. For now i just painted the aluminium matt black. Anyways this is what i've done so far, it's not perfect but i'll get there.

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/317/1809061638ng1.th.jpg (http://img155.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1809061638ng1.jpg)

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/6549/1809061637lg9.th.jpg (http://img218.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1809061637lg9.jpg)

phantom_civic
18-09-2006, 08:26 PM
nice boban!

bevis90
18-09-2006, 09:50 PM
what is this item called and is this avalable at supercheapauto??

Boban
19-09-2006, 08:41 AM
which item mate?

RMN15N
19-09-2006, 06:35 PM
good stuff.. nice work hijacking the thread! jks..
yeah well the whale penis shouldnt be a problem.. phantom_civic done it at the same time as me. as all the materials were courtesy of him
it fits on nicely and doenst bump the bonnet =)

the carbon fibre film is just called "interior design" somthing.
just ask them they'll know what ur after

btw.. they dont sell it at super cheap no more.. cause lack of interest
they will have whatevers there and thats it.. they wont restock so be quick or just drop into
autobarn

Boban
19-09-2006, 11:03 PM
Lol, sorry about hijacking ur thred man, didn't mean to but it was a lot of help. I went to autobarn today and got some cf film so it's all sweet.

With my one, because the hole has to be bigger for the intake i had a lot of messing around to do especially around the clutch line. Can you pretty please put up a close up pic of your bottom part. Thanx

RMN15N
20-09-2006, 12:18 AM
oh the clutch line..yeah my ones made to fit around all that.. took a long time to make those weird shapes so it'd fit flush on the bottom

ill take pix sometime tomorrow

and about the hijacking the thread, its a joke.. i dont mind
as long as it helps everyone =D

dundas
20-09-2006, 12:23 AM
looks nice.. both intakes are good looking :)

aaronng
20-09-2006, 12:38 AM
I like the matte black paint. Which one did you use and where did you buy it from?

|N|
20-09-2006, 01:24 AM
oh the clutch line..yeah my ones made to fit around all that.. took a long time to make those weird shapes so it'd fit flush on the bottom

ill take pix sometime tomorrow

and about the hijacking the thread, its a joke.. i dont mind
as long as it helps everyone =D

can u do one for me pls

RMN15N
20-09-2006, 01:25 AM
can u do one for me pls

still got heaps of spare materials.. will charge you 100 for labour

=D

|N|
20-09-2006, 01:27 AM
still got heaps of spare materials.. will charge you 100 for labour

=D

just do it.. i ll pay u in pop corn

RMN15N
20-09-2006, 01:28 AM
hahah.. oh nick.. spam spam spam king!

oh and btw if anyone has any questions regarding the DIY
feel free to ask

|N|
20-09-2006, 01:38 AM
hahah.. oh nick.. spam spam spam king!

oh and btw if anyone has any questions regarding the DIY
feel free to ask

yea i have a question

can u do it for me... free

Boban
20-09-2006, 04:10 PM
Hahahahaha, funny man nick, you might as well make me one too, or at least the side part so it clears the clutch line. I'll supply the butter if nick brings the popcorn.

Aaron, i used matt black paint the sell at Repco, it was $15.95 i think and it's K+H brand, it has a big aussie flag on the can, can't miss it.

Ohh and i've put cf film over mine, goes better with my intake which is cf look-a-like

aaronng
20-09-2006, 04:21 PM
Hahahahaha, funny man nick, you might as well make me one too, or at least the side part so it clears the clutch line. I'll supply the butter if nick brings the popcorn.

Aaron, i used matt black paint the sell at Repco, it was $15.95 i think and it's K+H brand, it has a big aussie flag on the can, can't miss it.

Ohh and i've put cf film over mine, goes better with my intake which is cf look-a-like
Thanks! I'll head to repco to get that later.

RMN15N
20-09-2006, 04:59 PM
LOL fook that man! dont buy a can of matt black for 15 bux.. rawt hard.!

i buy the brand export cost your 2.95 somthing around there at autobarn
i even used them to spray my rims black b4 .

RMN15N
20-09-2006, 11:49 PM
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/2632/img2436rt3.jpg

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/9003/img2435sr5.jpg

boban heres the pictures that you requested..
note: i will be spraying the side in gloss black because it just looks gay silver

DreadAngel
21-09-2006, 01:51 AM
Pretty good Joe, nice work!

aaronng
21-09-2006, 07:24 AM
LOL fook that man! dont buy a can of matt black for 15 bux.. rawt hard.!

i buy the brand export cost your 2.95 somthing around there at autobarn
i even used them to spray my rims black b4 .
Is the $2.95 can in matte black though?

RMN15N
21-09-2006, 08:37 AM
Is the $2.95 can in matte black though?

yeah man.. u can find plenty of cheap matte black paints.. there all the same
if there in a can unless its engine enamel (heat proof) paints..
id pay 15 bux for that but not normal mat black can spray..

*cough cough..* helpful

aaronng
21-09-2006, 09:00 AM
yeah man.. u can find plenty of cheap matte black paints.. there all the same
if there in a can unless its engine enamel (heat proof) paints..
id pay 15 bux for that but not normal mat black can spray..

*cough cough..* helpful
I'd go for something higher temp than acrylics. The temperature of my airbox exceeds 50ºC and is painful to the touch.

I don't give rep to ppl who ask for it. :D

RMN15N
21-09-2006, 09:02 AM
if ur air box is gonna reach that high in temp then i suggest you just drop by ur nearest clark rubber & buy some low heat conducting rubber,
measure it out cut and bobs ur uncle :thumbsup:

aaronng
21-09-2006, 09:05 AM
if ur air box is gonna reach that high in temp then i suggest you just drop by ur nearest clark rubber & buy some low heat conducting rubber,
measure it out cut and bobs ur uncle :thumbsup:
Won't really fit the sides of my airbox because of the tight clearances. I used 1mm aluminium LOL.

check your usercp :)

RMN15N
21-09-2006, 09:12 AM
it should fit fine, make it a snug fit or u can always get thinner rubber as long as u got somthing to keep the heat away from the aluminum u should be fine.
trust me, if theres a will theres away =P

DomenEK
21-09-2006, 02:44 PM
Where can you get this carbon fibre film from?

RMN15N
21-09-2006, 02:45 PM
go back and read the post and u'll find out where

Boban
23-09-2006, 08:59 PM
Be nice RMN15N, u can get if from Autobarn @ $39.99 (think how badly you want it b4 you get it :p)

Thanx for the pics by the way man, i'll see if i can redesign my side piece to resemble yours somewhat, or if i can't i'll just fold it over above the clutch line and tuck it in below the filter. And why don't you carbonise the side piece so it maches with the top one???

PS my box gets hot too, any ideas..... i was thinking of ditching the headlight when i'm out on the track, but for normal driving i haven't got any ideas

RMN15N
24-09-2006, 12:24 PM
nah we got it for 30 bux, honestly its not that nice..
btw the side has been carbonfibred, i did it yesterday
if you want to cool it down buy some low conductive rubber @ clark rubber