PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of Powersteering on Track

jdmlvn
15-09-2006, 04:58 PM
as titled.

i've searched and found no luck.

i wanna know the pro's and con's of power steering in track.

discuss.

Gary:wave:

jdmlvn
16-09-2006, 03:17 PM
come on.. someone on ozhonda has to know this one

|N|
16-09-2006, 03:18 PM
without pwr steering more response from steering

bennjamin
16-09-2006, 03:18 PM
pros - quicker repsonse

cons - weight ...alittle extra power is removing power steering , also one less thing to break / stuff up on the track etc.

jdmlvn
16-09-2006, 07:38 PM
pros - quicker repsonse

cons - weight ...alittle extra power is removing power steering , also one less thing to break / stuff up on the track etc.

ohh i see..

what do u mean by quicker response?
better engine response or steering?
if steering, what do u mean?

roar
16-09-2006, 10:27 PM
1 other factor related to the "quicker response" is that you have a better feel for the road through the steering wheel...

power steering just makes your steering wheel turn easier but doesn't really differentiate between low or high speeds (as in the wheel weight feels similar in both cases)

also if you are driving a car with crappy power steering (such as an ek4), if you are high on the revs tracking a tight bend...you can often lose powersteering instantly making the wheel operate in pure manual mode...its really annoying when you are turning the wheel easily then on the final half turn, it just weighs ALOT more...

really...for track...power steering sux...robs power/can **** up/extra weight/doesn't feel as good

at track speeds, a non-power assisted steering setup should be of a comparable weight to power steering anyway...

the only advantage power steering has is in street situations (ie parking)

jdmlvn
17-09-2006, 05:10 PM
1 other factor related to the "quicker response" is that you have a better feel for the road through the steering wheel...

power steering just makes your steering wheel turn easier but doesn't really differentiate between low or high speeds (as in the wheel weight feels similar in both cases)

also if you are driving a car with crappy power steering (such as an ek4), if you are high on the revs tracking a tight bend...you can often lose powersteering instantly making the wheel operate in pure manual mode...its really annoying when you are turning the wheel easily then on the final half turn, it just weighs ALOT more...

really...for track...power steering sux...robs power/can **** up/extra weight/doesn't feel as good

at track speeds, a non-power assisted steering setup should be of a comparable weight to power steering anyway...

the only advantage power steering has is in street situations (ie parking)
i understand what your saying.
so its a waste of time installing power steering when doing a engine conversion?
and how much does it weigh?

soz for the question ppl

bennjamin
17-09-2006, 08:59 PM
i understand what your saying.
so its a waste of time installing power steering when doing a engine conversion?
and how much does it weigh?

soz for the question ppl

IMO yes , if you have a non-PS rack installed then use it.
No idea on weight (its the lines , resevior , cooler + pump...woudl be maybe 15 kgs extra weight all up ?).

jdmlvn
17-09-2006, 10:08 PM
No idea on weight (its the lines , resevior , cooler + pump...woudl be maybe 15 kgs extra weight all up ?).
this seems to be a complicated topic

bennjamin
17-09-2006, 10:12 PM
this seems to be a complicated topic

Not at all.

Tell us "your" setup and intentions, if this is about you. If it isnt , then its just another topci of chit chat and opinons.

For experience , i have a car with a PS rack but PS removed .

ONE600
17-09-2006, 11:09 PM
None what so ever, except maybe for parking ur car around the pits?

roar
17-09-2006, 11:14 PM
benjamin...how's that run actually?

like i heard somewhere that ps racks need the lubrication supplied by the rest of the power steering system...unless you've diverted the fluid to lubricate the rack?

my source could just be bs...not sure

[ricer]
17-09-2006, 11:21 PM
my first car didnt have power steering... felt very crap at high speeds cause it felt way tooo light
my astra was cool cause the faster i went the steering got slightly firmer... car felt very solid...
the civic power steering is way to light slow or fast... i dont like it

bennjamin
17-09-2006, 11:27 PM

like i heard somewhere that ps racks need the lubrication supplied by the rest of the power steering system...unless you've diverted the fluid to lubricate the rack?

yes it does need lubrication. Just like a non-PS rack.
You simply run a hose from both the inlet + outlet on the steering column base to a resevior. (or even a simple looped pipe.) The resevoir aides in reducing resistance. I can report that after a few weeks and hard driving my "setup" feels better than stock. It gives alot mroe indication of what your front wheels are doing. Parking is alittle bit of a bitch but just use both your hands instead of "palming" like normal :)

xtercii
17-09-2006, 11:39 PM
just took mine off today, feels pretty good and my arms are definitely firmer after a whole day of driving...

wynode
17-09-2006, 11:53 PM
Powersteering is only 'really needed' when turning at low speeds though. Otherwise you don't really feel the strain on your arms :)

panda[cRx]
18-09-2006, 01:27 PM

roar there are a few writeups on how to do it, it's fairly simple. i'd link you but i lost most of my bookmarks when i formatted my pc

here is one link i still havehttp://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/tech/0510ht_acura_integra_type_r_racecar/

also have a look in the DIY section, from memory i think barefootbonzai did a write up on it? :confused:

edit: here it is http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41938&highlight=power+steering

barefootbonzai
18-09-2006, 04:10 PM
whoops the pics are gone, i removed them a while back.

panda[cRx]
18-09-2006, 06:34 PM
rip it out and do it again :p

EG5
18-09-2006, 06:35 PM

at 15 kg dude.
reservoir , lines , pump etc max less than 8 kg.

bennjamin
18-09-2006, 08:09 PM
at 15 kg dude.
reservoir , lines , pump etc max less than 8 kg.

the man has spoken. Less than 8kg weight saving. And perhaps 1 or 2 kw extra peak power by removing the parasitic drag on the engine. IMO its worth it for a cleaner engine bay and better feel on the wheel :)