PDA

View Full Version : No wiring diagram, how to wire up speakers?

kayot1k
15-09-2006, 10:47 PM
hey fellas,

atm i dont have rear speaker on my ek.
i've decided to put rear speakers in but when i purchased my car i did not get a wiring diagram for the HU. so besides the wires that are already wired up power, remote etc... the rest are a mystery.

i have an old skool jvc HU i think one of the first ones with mp3/animated background capablility.

my question is , is there a way you can test what is what ? specificly im after the rear left and rear right speaker wires.

or do all JVC headunits share the same colour wires at the harness adaptor? if so can someone just give me the colours for which i need.

regards

destrukshn
15-09-2006, 10:52 PM
ums.. so you want to know what colour is what for the aftermarket headunit wires?

Fr3aKi3
15-09-2006, 11:34 PM
Not too sure if all JVC deck's have matching wiring looms but for my deck (JVC KD-SHX855) the rear speaker connections are as follows:

Rear Left:
Green (+)
Green with black stripe (-)

Rear Right:
Purple (+)
Purple with black stripe (-)

Take a look at all the wiring, if the rears haven't been hooked up then it should be fairly easy to tell if they're speaker connections. There should be a pair of the same colour (ie green + green with black stripe), the only pair which you should not be touching is the blue one (at least on my deck... since they're the triggers for the antenna and amp). The colour codes might be the same so it might help... lol

Eclipsor
15-09-2006, 11:35 PM
Alot of headunits will actually have the wiring diagram on the unit itself. have you checked this? Otherwise the speaker wires will probably be in colour pairs. Like left rears will be green and green with white stripe and right rears might be purple and purple with white stripe.

edit: beat me to it. What he said ^^

Fr3aKi3
15-09-2006, 11:39 PM
edit: beat me to it. What he said ^^

lol.... by 1 minute!!!!
(might've been even less...)

kayot1k
16-09-2006, 12:21 AM
ahhh sweet, so they'll actually be in pairs.
same colour but one with white/black stripes, cool ill try that tomorrow .
polarity doesnt really matter does it ?

now i hafta play around with the fade/balance to find out whats what.

CRXer
16-09-2006, 12:31 AM
ahhh sweet, so they'll actually be in pairs.
same colour but one with white/black stripes, cool ill try that tomorrow .
polarity doesnt really matter does it ?

now i hafta play around with the fade/balance to find out whats what.

Yes,polarity does matter.

Install the speakers leave the grill off & hook up the wires,temporarily.
Turn on at a low volume,
Then see if the cone is always driving out towards u,not being sucked into the voice coil.
If its not driving out,then simply reverse the wires.
Try not to do this test for a long period of time,as short as possible.

Fr3aKi3
16-09-2006, 09:28 AM
As CRXer said, polarity does matter. Wiring it up with the wrong polarities and you'll have no bass... lol

bungsai
16-09-2006, 06:08 PM
Hey dude, not sure what other people have said, havnt bothered to read,

but usually with cars, you will have pairs, like green, then green with red stripe or something would be one pair. Orange, and orange with purple stripe might be another pair.

Use a AA battery, and just touch one cord to each end. If it is a pair then that speaker that it is hooked up too will make some static noises.

Matt

Fr3aKi3
17-09-2006, 11:02 AM
Hey dude, not sure what other people have said, havnt bothered to read,

but usually with cars, you will have pairs, like green, then green with red stripe or something would be one pair. Orange, and orange with purple stripe might be another pair.

Use a AA battery, and just touch one cord to each end. If it is a pair then that speaker that it is hooked up too will make some static noises.

Matt

I think he's actually looking for the speaker wires coming FROM the headunit and not from the speakers. I don't think it's such a good idea to use a battery to test speaker wires coming out of the headunit.

kayot1k
18-09-2006, 09:13 PM
anyways. thanks fellas .
That paired coloured wires theory was correct.

Infact i just wired up as FR3aKi3 suggested and whalla !!! looks like the colours are pretty universal for all models of the jvc

thanks heaps everyone that helped out.